Advise needed to improve my system
Aug 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jo53mo

New Head-Fier
My system is a Gilmore Lite, Headroom Micro DAC. Headphones are Beyer 250 250 and Sennheiser HD 650. I use this setup from my computer using Apple Looseless. To me the Beyers are more musical than the HD 650's. The 650's seem to fall apart when I put the amp up past 11 oclock. They also sound muddy to me. Do I look for a amp with more power to drive the 650's or go for a headphone that would perform better wih the Gilmore Lite. I have also thought about changing the cable on the 650's and if that don't work the price of the cable could be a pair of headphones that work good with my system.  I'm a big YES fan and most of my listening is progressive rock, fusion jazz and anything else from classcal to jazz as long as it sounds good. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
                                              Thank You,,,, Joe

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 27
If you more musical, or what I call FUN, Go Grado

For rock, Jazz and some classical, I love my grado for them. And yes, HD650 are pretty boring. But I also find Beyer boring compared to Grado.

As much grado you can buy is best, and don't worry about your amp.

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 27
Turn to the bright side and try a Grado.

They will be a far and away departure from your current laid-back sound.

The Gilmore lite should pair beautifully with any Grado of your choosing.

You might miss out on some soundstage with your classical selection
unless you wish to consider modding an existing model or consider
the upper echelon like the GS1000i or PS1000.

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 27
You might also consider the DT880 250 or 600 ohm version. I have always liked the Grado sound, but I must admit to finding the 880 a little more versatile and balanced than my HF2 without giving up much if any detail. I actually think that the slightly less emphasised midrange of the 880 actually helps most music and I do listen to a great deal of progressive rock and jazz with mine. I say that as so much modern music is so compressed that the highs and mids can be a little over-emphaised and or downright punishing (at least for rock).

The 880 takes some of the sting out of hot recordings and has a very nice soundstage as well. The HF2 has stellar highs, but the 880 isn't far behind at all and in the bass and mids I would have to give the edge to the 880s. Still love the HF2 and if you can get a set you might really like them.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 27
I have had years of rock music with Grado and I respectfully disagree, I like the 880 as much, and perhaps even more for rock as it makes it more listenable. That said, that is just an opinion, nothing more.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 27
I had the 650 for several years and in the end sold them.  I ended up with an AH-D2000 and love it through my amp.  I do not miss the HD-650 at all.

Grado headphones are nice for rock, but are open, not spectacularly detailed ( SR-225i ) and hide some of the extreme detail in music which I enjoy.  Depending on what you listen to this may be a problem, but perhaps not.

Perhaps try some Audio Technica ATH-AD900's.
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-ad900.php

Best of luck.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 27
Always thought that the HD 650 and RS2i/RS1i/325i ownership combo gives you a nice polar opposite between dark and bright signatures.

Just a shame that more people don't like this combination of difference. There is a time for both in my book.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 27
Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention I do have the Grado's 80 not the I model. They do seem very bright and thin with my setup. But I do like the speed of them.
Yesterday I was at J&R in NYC and tried the 325i straight from my itouch and thought they sounded real good. Not sure how they will sound with my setup since many
threads say it is a bright combo with my amp. I also noticed that they have the 325is now and claim to be a little smoother. Going to give those a listen to at B&H tomorrow.
Another pair i listened to was the Denon D-2000, They also sounded good, my best way to describe them is a mid bass sound maybe not as open as the 325i.

Joe

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #11 of 27
Sonic what 880's do you have 250 or 600? Also i feel if I went with the 600 ohm I would be in the same boat I'm in now with the HD 650's.
The HD650 sounds like they are straining for power.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 27
I listened to the Grado's 325i, RS2i and the RS1i at J&R and I ended up with the RS1i. Thought they sounded a little more open than the RS2i. Also J&R has the RS1i for $595. They sure are more involving than the HD650.
Maybe a little bright at the moment but after burn in they may calm down. Even if they don't I'm sure I can live with them.

Joe

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 27
Take your HD650s to a Head-Fi meet and plug em into a Woo 3 and see if you like it.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
I listened to the Grado's 325i, RS2i and the RS1i at J&R and I ended up with the RS1i. Thought they sounded a little more open than the RS2i. Also J&R has the RS1i for $595. They sure are more involving than the HD650.
Maybe a little bright at the moment but after burn in they may calm down. Even if they don't I'm sure I can live with them.

Joe

Good work man - that price makes us Head-fiers in the Pacific region weep in
comparisonto what we pay for an RS1i!

Just as a reference my occasionally razor treble 325i's passed the mystical, personal
burn-in mark at 100 hours for me. It just happened at work one day. Same tune,
different day, same routine and there it was clear as day.

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 27
Red,,, where can I finf info on the HEAD-FI MEETS? I would ike to try the 650's with the Woo. I would set it up in my bedroom if Iliked the sound. The reason I like the Gilmore is it's so small and  don't have much room by my computer.
I have it set up in my keyboard slide out draw.
                                                                           Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back