Advice
Dec 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #46 of 57

Quote:
Right. And another irrelevancy is this isn't even your thread, the purpose of which is to assist the OP and not those who attempt to hijack their thread - as you've unwittingly done. 

Quote:
That goes some way to explaining your curt responses to my posts. 

"Right." That is irrelevant. So too is making a headphone recommendation or dismissal based on what you've read rather than heard. 

To the OP, you mentioned the W5000, and I think that it does meet your criteria for a closed headphone for music listening. I also think that it is best suited to acoustic based music such as jazz. However, it is audio-technica's premium audiophile headphone, and it's expensive. I can't comment on its durability but the fit and finish is superb. It's definitely not a headphone to be carelessly thrown into a bag with all of your other stuff.   

As far as its "positional audio" capabilities are concerned, I'm not qualified to comment from a gamer's perspective. What I can say, is that I find its instrument placement convincing within the room that it creates. But there must be more suitable choices for gaming out there that cost far less. It also has a spacious sound stage for a closed headphone. Its presentation is quite airy and akin to an open headphone.

It is not a "bassy" phone. Its bass weight is less than I would ideally like to have, but it is tightly defined and textured. The overall presentation is articulate and detailed, with impressive imaging and instrument separation. This is how I hear it but "your mileage may vary" (ymmv). Good luck with your search.  

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #48 of 57
I've just checked audio-technica's website and the ATH-A900 is still listed. I've also checked a local retailer's website and it is available there, where it is described as ideal for gaming.

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #50 of 57
Well, I found a retailer who has the A900 and the AKG.

Now the moment to decide, these are the recommendations I got:

ATH-A900

AKG-K271 MK II

Which of the two has better soundstage, detail and isolation ? (let's say for gaming, because the device does the same as an audio card with 7.1 virtual sorround sound.)

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #52 of 57
I never heard ATH-A900 but have AKG K271S (original made in Austria) and heard 271MKII (compared them to old ones) and while they improved I'm not going back to them after i heard Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 OHM and now have DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm for about 3 weeks and now waiting for DT 880. DT 990 have better clarity and details and especially tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass even while i'm driving them straight from Auzen X-Fi Prelude sound card which has no dedicated headphones output,

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #53 of 57

Quote:
Get the Beyerdynamic DT48. The bass is there, but damned flat and unappealing to most listeners. They're also closed and built well enough to survive being backed over by a car. The padded headband has steel underneath and the cups are made from milled aluminum. There's nothing tougher on the market.

I liked the DT48s when I had them but I could only wear them for a couple of hours before my head couldn't stand the crushing grip any longer. Also, they never sounded 'fun', but that's irrelevant, as the OP clearly does not want bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back