advice on which headphones to buy for mixing/critical listening in studio
Jul 23, 2012 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
advice on which headphones to buy for mixing/critical listening in studio

I have been struggling for some time with getting the right headphones for my needs. I own a Benchmark DAC1 and am looking for the right pair of phones to pair with it for mixing/editing and critical listening. For years I have used Sony MDR-7506 headphones plugged into an MBOX 2. This has always worked for me, but I am looking for something less fatiguing, with more spacious sound and better imaging that I can use for mixing. I like to use studio monitors for the final mix, but for pre-mix I like to use headphones, especially for doing EQ'ing and listening for details like small pops/clicks, etc. I have considered the Sennheiser HD800's but being expensive I want to see if there is anything more affordable I could try first. What other options should I consider?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 6
The Denon AH-D2000 would be an excellent choice.  They are slightly bass tilted, but remain a great neutral choice in your price range.  It think Headphone.com still has a few pairs.

Is an open headphone out of the picture for you?  Open headphones always image better and give a wider sense of space compared to a closed headphone primarily due to poor damping and harsh resonator.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
The Denon AH-D2000 would be an excellent choice.  They are slightly bass tilted, but remain a great neutral choice in your price range.  It think Headphone.com still has a few pairs.

Is an open headphone out of the picture for you?  Open headphones always image better and give a wider sense of space compared to a closed headphone primarily due to poor damping and harsh resonator.

The AH-D2000 is not a neutral headphone. If he is looking to mix on them and critically check them, he needs something that is neutral.

My recommendation would be for the HE-500 or HE-6 if his environment can handle and open headphone.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Open headphones are okay.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 6
I would consider beyerdynamic's DT 880 600 ohm version. At around $212 used, they are exceptionally affordable for the quality in build and sound imo. The AKG Q701 is another pair I would consider since they are along the same lines as the DT880 in both quality and price bracket, but with the added bonus of having a detachable cord. Neither will break the bank, but both are somewhat power mongers in terms of driving them.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 6
I always find it hard to analyze music / find problems with an open headphone.  Without any real isolation it is going to be difficult to find flaws regardless of the neutrality of you are getting outside noise mixed in with the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back