Advice on choosing a portable amp that uses a 9V
Oct 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #31 of 42

Quote:
I don't see where anyone suggested the Ray Samuel's SR-71A which uses 2 (yes 2) 9volt batteries. I enjoy both the SR-71A and the Stepdance but as everyone knows, the battery in the Stepdance does not last very long before it is exhausted. The SR-71A on the other hand lasts a good long while.

A second for the SR-71.  It is a good quality amp and has done well against many others over the years.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #32 of 42
that's because you asked for a PORTABLE amp.  Most here would think the SR series is not that portable; in fact, it's more tabletop than pocketable

That said, if you don't need portability, then the SR series is wonderful

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #33 of 42

Quote:
that's because you asked for a PORTABLE amp.  Most here would think the SR series is not that portable; in fact, it's more tabletop than pocketable

That said, if you don't need portability, then the SR series is wonderful

I would agree that it is not pocketable, but that doesn't mean its not portable/transportable.  At, 4" x 2 3/4" x 1.25" (pretty much the same size as a iRiver H1xx or iBasso D10/D12) it will fit in a small camera case that can be take with.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #34 of 42
The SR-71A is portable. Same width as the Stepdance and less than an inch longer. The SR-71A is lighter and smaller than the original SR-71.

It also has a 3 position gain switch for use with sensitive iems all  the way up to full size cans. 

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #36 of 42
If you can stretch to two 9V batteries, a second hand Headroom Micro is a good choice - particularly with the desktop electronics module. Bit fiddly to change the batteries, but you get used to it, and it has a lot of muscle and sounds great with most portable phones. ( Only the older Micro's use the swappable 9v batteries - and it's quite happy with rechargeables)

Peter

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #37 of 42

bcwang said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
I suppose it will never happen that 9v batteries are known by their real name; 8.4v batteries? the iqube v1 used a 9v as well didnt it? I just remember it had a battery door, so could have been AA I guess. pretty unforgiving amp though, so youde wanna be using decent rips

There are 9.6v variants too.  Maha recently released LSD (low self discharge) versions of these too.

Thanks for your instruction! It is just the solution for my problem.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #38 of 42
I'm new to this, but I am just wondering why iBasso has never been mentioned yet.  Is it because none of their products are 9v?  Or is it because they are not as highly recommended as any of the above?  Thanks.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #40 of 42

Quote:
I'm new to this, but I am just wondering why iBasso has never been mentioned yet.  Is it because none of their products are 9v?  Or is it because they are not as highly recommended as any of the above?  Thanks.

I think it was because the OP preempted iBasso discussion in her first post.  She is aware of them, but is looking for other options.

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #42 of 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back