Advice on choosing a portable amp that uses a 9V
Oct 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

audiogamma

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone suggest a portable amp or dac/amp that offers easy access to a 9v for power? I am familiar with the iBasso-line. Any others that are well regarded? I would be using a Cowon 7 and U3; and occasionally the iPhone 3GS > SE535s. TIA. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 42
The Decware Zenhead is another highly-regarded 9v amp, however it should more accurately be called transportable rather than portable, as it is a bit larger than pocket-sized.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 42
Thanks guys. I'll check RSA and Decware. It looks like Decware is in my neck of the woods.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 42
Meier Stepdance is an option, as is the smaller and less expensive Meier Headsix. Both are very good amps - the Stepdance is excellent.

(Following on HiFlight's comment, the Stepdance is not for pant pockets.)

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 42

Quote:
Meier Stepdance is an option, as is the smaller and less expensive Meier Headsix. Both are very good amps - the Stepdance is excellent.

(Following on HiFlight's comment, the Stepdance is not for pant pockets.)

+1

I think the Meier Headsix or Meier XXS would be your best best for "pocketable" amplification (sans DAC unfortunately).  They're both very highly regarded amps and have the easiest access to the battery of any 9v amp on the market.  You'll just have to forgo the DAC.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 42
I've narrowed it down to the Stepdance or the Decware for 9v. Also considering the Arrow 12, but that's a rechargeable.

I like 9v for power, fewer batteries to deal with.
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 42
just a reminder - sensitive iem really want attenuation - not amplification

you get amplifer suggestions simply because thats what people do here - not necessarily because its the best way to improve the sound

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to the Stepdance or the Decware for 9v. Also considering the Arrow 12, but that's a rechargeable.

I like 9v for power, fewer batteries to deal with.
wink.gif

Personally, I would go with the Stepdance just for the simple fact that changing the battery is much easier with the Meier than the Decware amp.  

Decware Zen Head (see the stupid 9v connector on the far right):

Meier Stepdance (See how the 9v battery drops right in):

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 42
I suppose it will never happen that 9v batteries are known by their real name; 8.4v batteries? the iqube v1 used a 9v as well didnt it? I just remember it had a battery door, so could have been AA I guess. pretty unforgiving amp though, so youde wanna be using decent rips

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 42

Quote:
I suppose it will never happen that 9v batteries are known by their real name; 8.4v batteries? the iqube v1 used a 9v as well didnt it? I just remember it had a battery door, so could have been AA I guess. pretty unforgiving amp though, so youde wanna be using decent rips

There are 9.6v variants too.  Maha recently released LSD (low self discharge) versions of these too.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 42

Quote:

Well, you're right and wrong.  NiCd, NiMH and Lithium batteries are 8.4v, but alkaline are 9v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back