Advice Needed (Stax?)
Sep 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vinylvibe

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

Hoping I might be able to call upon your combined wisdom to help in selecting some headphones. I've tried so many brands and I've never found the right pair. There are two simple issues I keep running up against. Size + Heat. I want a pair of over-ear headphones but no matter what type I've tried and regardless of pad type I get sweaty from them in a matter of minutes.

So, I've been thinking about getting a pair of second hand Stax Lambda Pros. My hope is that due to their size fit won't be an issue for me and as they're open backed things might stay a little cooler? Ive never uses open backed before so that might be complete rubbish.

My other concern is with the open back design itself. I know there will be sound leakage but how much should I expect? I'd only ever be using them at home but even still have others to consider.

Any help or advice you can offer here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 4
It's hard to say if you'll get sweaty earpads from the lambda pads as there are quite a few variations. The leather ones from the 404LE/507 tend to stay a little cooler as leather is kind of breathable, you can buy these separately but they are fairly pricey. You can always just cut some cloth in the shape of the pads and just stick them on the pads, that's what Stax recommends if you find the pads get too sweaty.

I do tend to find open headphones stay cooler than closed, but it might just be my imagination.
tongue.gif

The size issue is a hit or miss depending on your ears. The edge of my ears kinda touches the inner cloth screen on my set of 202's, it's not uncomfortable for me as I don't notice it after a few minutes.

They will leak a lot, as they're completely open and the drivers emit sound both ways. Just take off any pair of headphones and completely blast them, that's kind of how loud they will be, kind of like mini speakers I guess, or a phone ringtone at half volume(maybe =P).

All in all, the lambda's are bloody comfortable.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 4
My Lambda (allegedly normal bias, not Pro bias, and with the foam removed) unusually doesn't leak as much sound as I'd expect, though external sounds still leak in easily. The leaked sound is relatively faint compared to the AD700s, at least.

Fit shouldn't be an issue. They're light, clamping force is light, and there's more room for adjustment than you'd think just from looking at the headband. Also, I can wear them for hours. Ears don't really feel warm after extended periods.

If the pads bother you, try taping some cloth over the contact surfaces for a more velour-ish feel. That might help.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
My Lambda (allegedly normal bias, not Pro bias, and with the foam removed) unusually doesn't leak as much sound as I'd expect, though external sounds still leak in easily. The leaked sound is relatively faint compared to the AD700s, at least.

Fit shouldn't be an issue. They're light, clamping force is light, and there's more room for adjustment than you'd think just from looking at the headband. Also, I can wear them for hours. Ears don't really feel warm after extended periods.

If the pads bother you, try taping some cloth over the contact surfaces for a more velour-ish feel. That might help.

Besides the oustanding performance, the Lambdas are very light on your head - the leather is very soft and there is zero clamping; they just fit.
As for the leakage... I think they leak a lot - it's subjective. They leak more than my Senns and almost as much as the Grados. They play LOUD easily due to the unrestrained dynamics (if the recording has it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back