Advice needed: best 'studio' headphones for under £40/$60?
Sep 22, 2010 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

elephaux

New Head-Fier
DISCLAIMER: I AM A NOOB.

Hi, this is my first post here, and I'm looking for some advice. I've owned many many pairs of cheap over-ear headphones, and I'm looking to buy a (slightly) more expensive pair. I produce a bit of music on an amateur level (DnB, Dubstep and Hip Hop mainly), and I want to get myself a pair of half-decent headphones as I've moved into a house where there are noise considerations that are stopping my creatice juices from flowing sufficiently. I need something with decent bass,and a crisp clear sound; that is without the warm fuzzy blurring that cheap hi-fi 'phones exhibit.

Unfortunately, I really don't have the time to go and try out any headphones in a store, so I'm trusting your expert opinions.

Ideally I'd like them to be multi-purpose, i.e. 'studio' use, bedroom DJing with Traktor, listening to music, films and gaming too.

Closed/open back isn't really something I have taken into consideration, but I do record small amounts of acoustic guitar and vocals, so something with lowish leakage would probably be a good shout.

I have the AKG K99s up on Amazon for a decent price (~£32 inc. delivery), ready to place my order, but I thought I'd hold fire and seek some guidance. Any other suggestions, or at least a judgement on the AKGs would be much appreciated.

I've also seen the Sennheiser HD201/202/205s around the same price range, are any of these better than the AKGs?

Finally, I'm desperately trying to curtail my spending, so I'm going to say that £40 ($60) is my absolute limit. I don't need auditory perfection, but I want the absolute best I can get for the money I'm willing to spend.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Check out the Yamaha RH5-MA studio headphones. Isolate well when the music is playing without leaking sound. Great bass, sparkly highs without being fatiguing. Slightly recessed mids maybe though. Anyway, a great pair for your price range.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 16
The other day I had the chance to get into a recording studio here in college, and any way I managed to grab some headphones and they were Sony MDR-V6. I have never heard them before and they were pretty good for studio use. They seem very durable and have some very good isolation. However i don´t really know if they are $60. The other two guys were using audio tecnica but I could´t hear those.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
The other day I had the chance to get into a recording studio here in college, and any way I managed to grab some headphones and they were Sony MDR-V6. I have never heard them before and they were pretty good for studio use. They seem very durable and have some very good isolation. However i don´t really know if they are $60. The other two guys were using audio tecnica but I could´t hear those.

For studio recording purposes the V6/7506's are the industry standard. Absolutely exceptional headphones for their price and use I must say. the Highs are extended and the lows are well represented. To my ears they were some of the best SQ I've heard, the only thing I didn't like was they weren't all that much fun. These aren't Grado's, M50's, or H25's these were more flat response till the highs which were a bit exaggerated.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 16
I can second the Superlux recommendation; they're really the poor man's K240m.  Very close sound signature wise, a lot going for them. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 16
If you find one at that price range, definitely grab it.  Know that they are pretty amp picky though...high impedance will do that to you.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Sony V6's are standard for studio use and mixing, other cheap studio models include several from Fostex.

Sound like he wants "all-purpose" headphones though, so he can enjoy his drum'n'bass and movies and stuff, then he should get a pair of Beyer-Dynamics I think?

Cheap Senns' and AKG's are over-marketed and over-rated imho.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 16

Oh yeah, if you want something comfy, get the newish sony XB series, comfiest things around, like pillows on your ears, and huge bass.

The smallest huge pillow one has been reduced to $28.26 on amazon, so within your budget.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB300-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24R8/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285278844&sr=8-2

"I need something with decent bass,and a crisp clear sound; that is without the warm fuzzy blurring that cheap hi-fi 'phones exhibit."

Even if these focus on bass, they are def. clearer than those Akg's and low-end sennheiser series you are looking at.  But I only tried them for 5min at a shop, so you may want to read a few reviews first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back