Advantages to reshelling universals?
Sep 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #31 of 43
Gryphus which company are you thinking of reshelling? I live in SG too. I'm thinking of reshelling it at Stage 93 as an alternative from reshelling it at Heir audio due to shipping cost.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #32 of 43
Gryphus which company are you thinking of reshelling? I live in SG too. I'm thinking of reshelling it at Stage 93 as an alternative from reshelling it at heir audio due to shipping cost.

Hmm Stage93 looks good! Treoo looks okay also! But I've always wondered how the Stage93 Customs sound like...

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #33 of 43
Hmm Stage93 looks good! Treoo looks okay also! But I've always wondered how the Stage93 Customs sound like...
so far I've seen no reviews for their customs yet. If I'm not wrong haha. Maybe they have demos for their ciems. Ok I'm going off topic.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 43
so far I've seen no reviews for their customs yet. If I'm not wrong haha. Maybe they have demos for their ciems. Ok I'm going off topic.

Haha Yeah. So far I think these 2 are the most reliable in Singapore? I don't really think its worth the extra money to reshell with Heir... I mean they are reputable after all but I guess in the end its about the same

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #36 of 43

Haha Yeah. So far I think these 2 are the most reliable in Singapore? I don't really think its worth the extra money to reshell with Heir... I mean they are reputable after all but I guess in the end its about the same

Yes, indeed we do!

Thanks guys i'll think about it. Kinda waiting for NS lol weight loss and stuff will affect my ear canal shapes.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #37 of 43
  $400 JH5 will sound better than W4, SE535, and W3.  I have owned all.  I know another Head-Fier that feels the same and he has owned all.

With the possible exception of TF10, I would NEVER pay to re-shell a universal.  With the invention of comply tips, universals fit as good or even better than customs.

Would the JH5 sound better than maybe... The Sm64 or Heir Audio 4.Ai? Or even possibly the 1964 V3 or Alclair Reference?

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #38 of 43
Really not sure as I haven't heard those.  Friend had the 4.Ai and he still preferred the JH5.  JH5 is truly a poor man's JH16.  Same kind of sound sig but less holographic.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #39 of 43
Really not sure as I haven't heard those.  Friend had the 4.Ai and he still preferred the JH5.  JH5 is truly a poor man's JH16.  Same kind of sound sig but less holographic.

How about the bass? Im quite afraid of the JH5 being a tad too boomy, as I'm upgrading from a GR07.... I also don't want to lose that treble presence... Would the JH5 accomplish those?

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #41 of 43
how about reshelling MEElec M6/M9 (both DD are same) and Altec Lansing Muzx 606 (BA) as a Hybrid?

M6 takes the charge of bass as it's DD,well suited and 606 for mids/highs. Very very cost effective as both are easy gettable by both cost and stock availability at amazon. ($30 for both). These are so cheap(yeah both offers standard 3 pairs silicon tips+bi flange,clam shell case and magnetic velvet pouch included) but not to be under-estimated with their sound. 50% of their cost matches their accessories+cables and only rest goes to the IEM themselves!

And design-wise,each driver to have it's own room(chamber) and sound fires thru individual bores(dual bore)?a micro cap to x-over?

Did anybody request custom IEMmers OR re-shellers like inearcustom,inearz,UM,1964ears,UE,JH,Westone,Gcustoms,Null audio,Stage93 etc to re-shell as above or other similar hybrids and/or they built so?

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #43 of 43
Very different and JH5 is definitely the preferred IEM. 

UM3X (and UM-series) are a different animal.  They are smooth, warm, great finesse and refined sounding with not so much a large soundstage but great, distinct instrument separation.  UM3X midrange is a bit forward, not quite like Shure but somewhat forward.

JH5 is better to me.  First, it is overall brighter sounding.  Bass quality, type and amount is very similar to UM3X so that is a draw.  Treble is much better on JH5.  Crisper sounding.  I would say it should satisfy almost everyone where UM3X has treble but it is overly smooth and a bit rolled off.  Regarding midrange, I will call it a draw.  I don't like forward midrange.  JH5 is not forward but very present.  Vocals and guitar are great.  Actually all 3 frequencies are pretty evenly balanced on JH5.

I tried a TWAG cable with JH5 for a few days and the treble got even crisper towards the ER4/IE800 level.  But is was raw sounding, not refined.  I didn't care for it.

I know there are cheaper options out there for custom dual even triple drivers but JH5 is amazing for $400.  It is truly the poor man's JH16 (I had both at the same time).  A little raw sounding but it gives you everything done "very well" meaning, at it's price point I can't really see a single flaw in what it does.

I have had my pair about 4 years now.  Have sweated gallons on them.  Original cable is a hideous green from oxidization/sweat but it still sounds as good as the day I bought them.  I don't use them a whole lot these days.  I have relegated them to my back-up pair and continue to pursue and try new things month to month but they are perhaps the best $400 I have spent on audio.  I highly recommend them.

I had once read that Jerry Harvey was not happy with the UE5 tuning/sound and his JH5 is what he always wanted in a dual driver.  I have had JH5, JH13 and JH16 and the JH5 is the only one I still own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back