Advantages of On-Ear compared to Over-Ear and IEM?
Nov 25, 2013 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gilsont

100+ Head-Fier
On-ear have an advantage (in my opinion)...
...to be more portable (but I feel like a lot of over-ear can fold away into a small package for travel [ex. UE4000 versus UE6000], so this doesn't seem like an advantage. Furthermore, IEM tend to be more portable than on-ear)
...on-ear models usually are cheaper than over-ear?

On-ear is in a disadvantage (in my opinion)...
...they are usually less comfortable than over-ear
...they tend to isolate less than over-ear and IEM
...they usually have smaller drivers than over-ear
...they usually have smaller soundstage than over-ear

I feel like I'm missing a crucial importance to On-Ear headphone design, to a point where I feel On-Ear headphones are unnecessary. Could you share why you use On-Ear headphones instead of IEM or Over-Ear?

P.S. Please do not get me wrong by making this thread. I love my on-ear DT1350 because of the sound. But I feel like that's the only real advantage they have over my other headphones unless I'm missing an important point?

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 6
I don't know, I went to in-ears a couple years ago because I felt much the same way, but I'm swinging back to on-ear and over-ears more and more. I have sinus issues and jamming stuff into my ears seems to aggravate things sometimes. Occasionally in my left ear I can only hear about half volume unless it pops. In addition I have different sized ears so it's hard to find a tip that matches up just right.

Other than my own particular logistical issues with in-ears, I think there is something inherently claustrophobic about the sound. For a lot of recordings it leaves something lacking.

I got myself a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 for portables and have been surprised at how much I am enjoying the sound and airiness. They fold up into a little case about the size of a pair of glasses, or you can just slide them down around your neck when not using them.  At home I am listening to my Sony MDR-V6 (or XB500s when I'm feeling some basshead tendencies).

I still have in-ears that I like, but for me at least, I need pretty ideal conditions if I'm going to use them.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 6
  I feel like I'm missing a crucial importance to On-Ear headphone design, to a point where I feel On-Ear headphones are unnecessary. Could you share why you use On-Ear headphones instead of IEM or Over-Ear?

It's really just for the sake of portability, no mystery around that.

Some people don't want a pair of headphones to take up over 1/2 the space in their bag, others are strangely embarassed sometimes by wearing big cans (that would be me - and I can't explain why).

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 6
It's really just for the sake of portability, no mystery around that.

Some people don't want a pair of headphones to take up over 1/2 the space in their bag, others are strangely embarassed sometimes by wearing big cans (that would be me - and I can't explain why).

I understand what you are saying. But for headphones like momentum... It doesn't seem necessary to have on ear model as they are quite similar in size and would take roughly the same space. The difference is not that big... That's where my confusion is pointing to...

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 6
I understand what you are saying. But for headphones like momentum... It doesn't seem necessary to have on ear model as they are quite similar in size and would take roughly the same space. The difference is not that big... That's where my confusion is pointing to...

I understand your question, but I can see how some people (e.g. the ladies) will always pick the smaller of the two. They want the smaller one no matter what. I think the manufactuers are in fact saying that they see different markets between those sizes. The momentums are like this, the Sony MDR-10R/RC are like this, and there's the Bose AE/OE and I'm sure Beats have 2 products that are related in this exact way :)

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 6

I understand your question, but I can see how some people (e.g. the ladies) will always pick the smaller of the two. They want the smaller one no matter what. I think the manufactuers are in fact saying that they see different markets between those sizes. The momentums are like this, the Sony MDR-10R/RC are like this, and there's the Bose AE/OE and I'm sure Beats have 2 products that are related in this exact way :)

That's actually a really good point! I always think from the audiophile side of things, maybe in the consumer world people do want on-ear just because it is smaller (even though its not that much smaller, a little bit counts I guess!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back