ADEL Technology - Discussion Thread - Update: March 27, 2016: Please Read 2nd Post of the Thread
Apr 14, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #331 of 336
Even in a quiet environment, using earbuds at low volume still tends to trigger my tinnitus more than just using ADEL or APEX units with the U10. YMMV - but thats "real world", and I tend to listen pretty low (normally in the 65-75 dB range).

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #332 of 336
I have Zeus XR with ADEL, Unique Melody ME 1 with a kind of ADEL/APEX module, Shozy bk... and tinnitus. It's difficult to compare because my tinnitus is there all the time. Before buying these 3 earphones (plus BlueeverBlue ex2000), I remember it got worse after listening for a while. But I never could make direct comparison between the 2 first and the third. I would have to listen for at least 30 minutes, then pause for a couple of hours, then listen again with another earphone (earbuds). Difficult in real life, without enough time...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #333 of 336
I checked and you can still buy ADEL versions of Empire Ears's legacy line when you put an iem in your cart.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #335 of 336
Maybe an odd question : I wonder if an earbud, being not closed nor sealed, brings the same benefits of hearing protection (at same volume) than IEM with ADEL ? Of course, this is ont taking info consideration the différence of sound quality.

I've wondered the same thing. My understanding is that the issue is with air that's trapped between the driver and the eardrum. I think it would all depend on how the "open" IEM is constructed. If the venting / open portion is only behind the driver, then I don't think that it would make much difference. As long as the air between the driver and eardrum is trapped without a special channel leading from in front of the driver out to a vent or something like an ADEL membrane to absorb some of the pressure, the same problem will always exist.

Depending on the design, I could see a case where an open back IEM could actually be worse because it would introduce outside noise, encourage a higher volume, and still transfer pressure from the driver to the eardrum via captive air.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #336 of 336
I've wondered the same thing. My understanding is that the issue is with air that's trapped between the driver and the eardrum. I think it would all depend on how the "open" IEM is constructed. If the venting / open portion is only behind the driver, then I don't think that it would make much difference. As long as the air between the driver and eardrum is trapped without a special channel leading from in front of the driver out to a vent or something like an ADEL membrane to absorb some of the pressure, the same problem will always exist.

Depending on the design, I could see a case where an open back IEM could actually be worse because it would introduce outside noise, encourage a higher volume, and still transfer pressure from the driver to the eardrum via captive air.
Good point. Some iems are vented strictly to allow for DD flexing, but aren't vented to the ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back