AD700's or KSC75's? For gaming *with poll*
Jan 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

halehaler

100+ Head-Fier
I will be gaming on my pc using a good sound card.

I had decided that I would get The AD700's that are £110 on amazon.

But then I read that the KSC75's give them a run for their money; but they're only £12?

Can a £12 headphone really be as good as a top £110 gaming headphone?

So how much worse are the Koss' the the AD700's? Also do I need an amp for any of them?

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 11
The KSC75 benefits from amping more than the AD700. The KSC75 are solid gaming cans, but they won't be better than the AD700. Probably 70% as good, competitive wise.

They do however have more bass, making them more enjoyable when playing normally.

I am speaking of them when gaming with Dolby Headphone virtual surround.

I don't game in normal stereo aside from PSP games...obviously.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 11
What games do you play? If you're like me who doesn't play competitive FPS games then don't get the AD700 unless you don't care about bass. I just bought the AD700's a few days ago, and while they are my best set of cans (coming from a 25 dollar gaming headset and ipod buds), I do find them boring overall for gaming due to lack of oomph when stuff explodes or when you hear thunder in a game for example. They sound super clear though.

If you care about winning in FPS games at all cost then get the AD700's.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
What games do you play? If you're like me who doesn't play competitive FPS games then don't get the AD700 unless you don't care about bass. I just bought the AD700's a few days ago, and while they are my best set of cans (coming from a 25 dollar gaming headset and ipod buds), I do find them boring overall for gaming due to lack of oomph when stuff explodes or when you hear thunder in a game for example. They sound super clear though.

This.

For those who don't take much stock in FPS, I suggest the Creative Aurvana Live as the sub-$100 gaming headphone.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

This.

For those who don't take much stock in FPS, I suggest the Creative Aurvana Live as the sub-$100 gaming headphone.

Cool thanks, I may get the creative's then. Seeing as I play mainly RPG adventure games, not as many FPS games. Also it's not like the creative's would be bad for FPS games, I'd still have a massive advantage over the majority of people who play with random garbage speakers, or bundles ipod headphones.

Finally, I have done quite a lot of headphone research, but have no idea what dolby surround sound it, what it does, whether it's worth buying, and where in the UK I can buy it from? Any info in this?

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Hmm Dolby Headphone virtual surround is literally what you think it is. It's like having surround sound on your head. As opposed to regular stereo where everything sounds like it's coming mostly from your left/center/right, Dolby Headphone literally makes everything sound like it's coming from all around you. Think of it as placing you inside the middle of a circle. Sounds come from every direction in that circle. It must be heard to believe.

Instead of just getting a good soundcard and an amp with Dolby Headphone, why not just go straight for something like the Asus Essence STX sound card which has Dolby Headphone?

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Yeah I may do that, see the thing is I'm buying this gaming pc of my friend, know it has a good sound card, but not exactly which one.

So is this dolby surround sound much better for same so that you know where they're coming from?

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Let me put it like this: Once I played with a good headphone and Dolby Headphone... I never went back to regular stereo. Like say, Call of Duty. DH is so good, I can tell where people are exactly just because of what I hear. It's like being able to see through walls, but with your ears.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 11
dolby headphone works exceptionally well.  It gives 3d sound positioning and sound depth perception... a very speaker like presentation with the added detail of headphones.  The difference is huge for me when playing games with dolby headphone and with just plain stereo.  But keep in mind that dolby headphone is DSP, and therefore some people do not fit well with dolby headphone due to their ear canal shape and other ear factors.  But when dolby headphone does work, it works incredibly well.

Dolby headphone + Beyer DT880 2005 editions = one of the best gaming experiences (sound wise) for under $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back