Head-Fier
What I like about the AD700's

- Great sound stage
- Airy sound
- Detail/Instrument separation
- Bass though lacking I like its accuracy
- Fast

What I don't like

- The lack of bass(impact), im not a bass head but I'd prefer something that had more oomph.
- I'd like something a little more more involving.

From the reviews that ive read it would appear that I should be looking into the Denon AH-2000, Shure SRH 840 and possibly K70X's. Whatever I purchase would be mainly used for rap/reggae and watching movies. Funk and house to a much lesser degree.The AD700's will be used for gaming, ambient and similar genres of music. My source currently is an X-Fi Champion, I'll be purchasing a Xonar ST in the next month and possibly an amp but only if I need it.

Also, if anyone knows where I can audition headphones in South Florida pm me.

What do you say HF?

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 13
I would recommend the Ultrasone hfi2400 , I got a chance to listen to them and I was really impressed I they are definitely a big step from my AD700's, the 2400's had good bass impact you could hear more detail in the sound and the music sounded very realistic , and they sounded great straight from an mp3 player.

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 13
SRH 750DJ, May more OOMPH, I gave my 840s to my son. The 750s cost less and Kill the 840s (IMO)

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I really need to find a place to audition these.

Yeah I know some shops carry ultrasone headphones but these are the newer model so they may not have them as much yet but they are identical to the hfi2200 in every way except design so maybe you can get to try those out. My friend bought these without auditioning them but he knows alot about audio so I'm sure he knew what he was getting, theyre really nice headphones main thing I like is how good they sound straight from an ipod, I've heard a number of headphones but none sounded this good just straight from an mp3 player.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 13
Another vote for the Beyerdynamic DT880 (preferably 600 ohm but you'd need an amp). It's the most logical step up from the AD700 if you ask me. 
beyersmile.png

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
What I like about the AD700's

- Great sound stage
- Airy sound
- Detail/Instrument separation
- Bass though lacking I like its accuracy
- Fast

What I don't like

- The lack of bass(impact), im not a bass head but I'd prefer something that had more oomph.
- I'd like something a little more more involving.

From the reviews that ive read it would appear that I should be looking into the Denon AH-2000, Shure SRH 840 and possibly K70X's. Whatever I purchase would be mainly used for rap/reggae and watching movies. Funk and house to a much lesser degree.The AD700's will be used for gaming, ambient and similar genres of music. My source currently is an X-Fi Champion, I'll be purchasing a Xonar ST in the next month and possibly an amp but only if I need it.

Also, if anyone knows where I can audition headphones in South Florida pm me.

What do you say HF?

To me, the truest upgrade for the AD700 that keeps all it's pros and non of it's cons is the K701 or K702. Seriously. For a little more bass, and less soundstage, the DT880 is definitely comparable to the K70x with a few tradeoffs.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 13
I am relatively new to Head Fi, but it's interesting that out of all the headphones that are out there, I very consistently keep seeing lots of praise for the Beyer 770/880's and the AKG 701/702 (and 601, 501, 240 series).

I have AKG K240DF's at home that I'm still working on getting an amp to drive them properly, but someday I'm now convinced I will have to try a set of Beyer's too ...

smile_phones.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I don't understand how the K701 would be a good upgrade for someone who specifically indicates their interest in more bass.

That's what I came in here to say, from what ive been reading from K70X users they lack bass. I think its going to be easier for me to split my wants between two headphones in the end. So may I will end up with a K70X like phone as well as something like the AH-D2000 or HFI 2200. I think that would be more reasonable. Think im going to take the plunge on the AH-D2000 pending another price drop. I'd know for sure if I could audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back