AD700; To amp, or not to amp: that is the question.
Jun 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 23
I am on my way to that 100+ too!
I am also new to high quality headphones and the ATH AD700s were also my first
In fact I've only had them for about a month now. All I can say is wow, and that pretty much everything
that is written about them it is true. The bass is a little lacking but definitely still there. Haven't used any amps
I use these directly from my itouch and computer and I am satisfied.

One thing I will say is that these improved after burning them in for some hours especially the bass. People usually recommend them for gaming or movies but I honestly believe they are great for music as well. Especially when using them to just relax (they are extremely comfortable).
Soon after I also bought ATH M50's for their portability and bass and those are amazing as well. However I still prefer the ATH AD700
when I am home because of the comfort and sound stage.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I am

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 23
Thanks. I hope I do too. If everything is true, they should be perfect. I am a bass head by no means, and actually prefer the bass not to overpower the guitars and vocals. I think these will be a match =)

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #20 of 23

Quote:
Hey. I got updated to 100+ but I can't change my sig. Everyone else at 100+ has a sig =/

I have a sig and i'm not even at 20, so I don't know what is going on with yours :/ I hope you get it worked out!

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #21 of 23
This is a pretty late comment, but I recently got some AD700s. I don't understand people saying they don't notice a difference after amping them. I question whether SOME of those people have actually tried that or made that determination based on theory, being that the AD700s are low impedance.

Even running my AD700s off a CMOY (TREAD powered with 470uF power caps, 1uF input caps, and 0.1uF decoupling caps - OPA2132PA opamp) makes me not want to listen to them UNamped. In my experience, all frequencies sound more clear and deliberate and the bass has much more presence. I don't believe this is placebo effect, as I have had several others make the comparison with my headphones also. Off 5 different sources, my AD700s just feel somewhat "weak" unamped.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
I am set on getting the AD700's. I know people say they don't have to be amped,

yeap - thats true, i have ad700 connect to x-fi elite pro & also i have cavalli-kan kumisa 3 , my words would be "dont need' . elite pro more then enought for this headphones.
also i have mp3 pleyer , but for it already need amp , i'v use mini3 by amp - :wink:

May 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
The AD700 improves very little by amping them. It would probably take me a lot of A/B to notice the difference, so it's not instantly noticeable. It is however noticeable with a good source, it does not sound horrible from my onboard audio but a good DAC does make a difference in its dynamics and top end clarity.

reviving this because I was surprised I could actually hear the diff between the onboard and revo7.1. 
I always thought sound-card is somewhat a gimmick after playing with speaker.
However, I got an old modded 1212m lying around unused for 3yrs, as I put it on yesterday I found out that I couldn't used it directly.
So I had a chance to plug my headphone to onboard sound.
There's a small diff when listening to pop music, but huge difference when listening to audiophille female artists, such as Sarah Brightman. 

Quite interesting. Just bought a used Pro-ject Headbox MKII off a member here going to pair it with 1212m, intersting to see how it goes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back