AD700 paint and mic mod
Mar 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

automiketic

New Head-Fier
Well after I said I wasn't going to I went and bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD700's. They seem to be the most recommend headphones for gaming on the net. I did extensive research and ended on these. Now they have not actually arrived yet (due in Monday) but I have done enough research to know how and what I am going to do. Since these are for gaming I wanted a mic. Now a lot of people recommend using the Zalman clip on mic, but I not only dislike the looks idea of the clip on mic, but hear it has very poor quality as well as a habit of picking up everything else going on in the rooms. Since I game with my headphones and speakers (weird I know) this just wont work for me. I have seen a few people Velcro a mic to the side of the headset but I felt that looked a little to gaudy/ghetto. Then I found a few people that actually added a mic port and detachable mic right to the headset. Now we are talking. I apologize in advance for the crappy pics. Lost my microSD to SD adapter so I can't use my camera and am stuck using my Ally, not to mention my poor photography skills. All ideas for this mod came from here.

Materials:
AD700 Headphones (obviously)
10' stereo 3.5mm interconnect.
3.5mm stereo phone jack
Detachable boom mic of your choice. (I got mine from this and sold the headphones w/o mic for $15)

Heres what we are starting with (yes I know that says 20' but it was cheaper than any of the 10' cables):

Un-packaged and ready for the slice and dice:

Wire trimmed of the excess 10':

Quick mockup before solder and install just to make sure all is working:

Yes! It works!

A few more materials and were off:

And what do we have hiding in here:

Unboxed:

Guts installed, wires ran:

Final mockup before paint (take note this was just temporary sleeving):

Quick close up of the mic and wires (mic is not fully inserted in this pic hence the small gap):

Mar 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 19
After getting the headset back together I finally gave the headset a true test only to find that the left driver was bad. Since I had already drilled and what not warranty was void so I had to call Audio Technica. They ended up sending me a new driver for a total of $8.20(US Dollars) shipped to my door. It arrived 2 days after I called. I can't express how pleased I was with their service and courtesy. Since I had to wait for the driver to arrive I decided to have these painted. Sorry for not having more pics of the deconstruction and reconstruction process but all of it was pretty straight forward. Since I had to do some resoldering to replace the bad driver I also replaced the cabling going from the left side to the right driver with a little bit bigger wire. I had the headphones painted in a bodyshop by my roomate who is a auto body technician.

Sleeving and leads:
20110307155250.jpg

Closeup of the mic and headphone plugs(I wanted them to be different to make them easily distinguishable):
20110307155309.jpg

Wires and plugs:
20110307155115.jpg

Closeup of wires and mic (as you can see the mic sits flush):
20110307155209.jpg

Mic detached:
20110307155222.jpg

Cup closeup:
20110307155332.jpg

Finally, a couple of glamor shots of the full package:
20110307155148.jpg

20110307155350.jpg

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 19
This make me wonder why Audio Techinca havent started to make AD700s with mics from every one modding mics onto their AD700s. If they do people would break there neck trying to get them.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Mainly for those who wouldnt mod a mic on them in the first place. So instead of using a clip on mic. they could use the one on the headphones if AD was to do something like that.

Mar 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 19
very nice job there. where did the sleeving kit come from?

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 19
the left driver was bad - I think the left side in a lot is bad, mine aren't modded and it seems to be different from right side. Wonder if they'd ship me one to UK

Nice work, though.

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Another Dark knight mod, well done man! 
smile.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
This make me wonder why Audio Techinca havent started to make AD700s with mics from every one modding mics onto their AD700s. If they do people would break there neck trying to get them.

This.

Beyer and Sennheiser both take their headphones that people commonly use for gaming and add mics and sell them as gaming headsets.  I don't know why Audio technica don't do the same.

A redesigned "gaming" AD700 with a new paint scheme and boom mic out of the box would probably get a lot of sales for Audio Technica. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back