AD700 Impressions
Jan 29, 2011 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eervig

New Head-Fier
So I returned the Grado SR60i and got myself a pair of AD-700 in my quest for a first pair of good phones. I wasn't impressed by the Grados at all, mostly because I found them uncomfortable - but I could not get into the sound signature either. Just too forward and abrasive for jazz and classical, IMO, but as everybody says they do great things with rock guitar.

So having been burned right out of the gate, I was cautious with these. My impressions:

Comfort ---

Surprisingly, these things clamp me. Seems unheard of from what I've read, and not so bad I couldn't get used to it over time, I suspect. I must have a freakish skull.

A bigger comfort issue is the proximity to the drivers. My ears (which don't stick out much, mind you) tend to graze them, and on certain albums I would get a periodic shocking sensation! Cartilage would get slightly numb after just a few tracks.

Thankfully, I was able to resolve this by cutting up the thin foam found in the package, and lightly distributing it under the earpads. I googled a bit and got back to this forum, seeing that there's a nice mod involving rubber tubing that could help with this as well - the foam works, but too much dampens the soundstage considerably.

It's true that these things are so light you think the box is empty right off, but I definitely found them lacking in comfort un-modded. Having rounded corners on the pads and a tad more foam in there from the factory seems like a no-brainer if they ever revise this model.

Sound ---

Oh, I've got plenty of burn-in to do, I guess. I already noticed things getting warmer and more natural after about six hours, and right now they are just gorgeous. Classical music sounds best, the soundstage sucking me in, and I love the up-front upper-mids that never get harsh to my ears, as the Grados did. Jazz is trickier on them, since so much classic stuff is recorded (or mastered) horribly, and the defects are so obvious on these.

Pop sounds okay. When I first tried it out, I was blown away by the booming bass. Aren't these supposed to be bass-light? Well...yeah, turns out I had the EQ in Foobar on. But I'm impressed by how strong and yet still clean the bass can get when you tweak it, and even if you don't...it is there. Maybe it's the low expectations, but I think the bass is just fine on these things. Then again, I get a good seal on the ears and I know others have trouble with that.

Overall ---

I'm happy with these.  The weak link for me is those earpads, which are just kind of unpleasant in texture, shape and size. The wing design is kind of neat, but it does make them tricky to fit. I don't know how gamers do it, because sitting at my computer they're a pain. Laying on a couch concentrating on music, they're just fine, the immersive sound distracting me from those little annoyances.

Of course, I do get the awful feeling I've joined a club, and the next spare change that enters my pocket is in serious danger...hope that sensation passes.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:

Of course, I do get the awful feeling I've joined a club, and the next spare change that enters my pocket is in serious danger...hope that sensation passes.

Aw, no, you don't get out of it that easily. Your wallet, pockets, and bank account are all in immediate danger. You cannot resist the temptation...of upgrading.

On a more serious note, the fit issues you mention actually aren't that uncommon. I've also read that the pads can be uncomfortable to some, so you're not way off base. Your overall impressions seem pretty much in line with what others have posted. Enjoy your new headphones, welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
I'm happy with these.  The weak link for me is those earpads, which are just kind of unpleasant in texture, shape and size. The wing design is kind of neat, but it does make them tricky to fit. I don't know how gamers do it, because sitting at my computer they're a pain. Laying on a couch concentrating on music, they're just fine, the immersive sound distracting me from those little annoyances.

You can put a rubber band over the "wings". That helped my friend a lot.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

You can put a rubber band over the "wings". That helped my friend a lot.

If you do do this be very careful for the wing will become loose and it cant really be fixed

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
If you do do this be very careful for the wing will become loose and it cant really be fixed

Oh... Really? I should ask my friend how his is holding up. I never knew that.

for mine it did. i guess i used a rubber band with too much tension as now one of my AD700's wings are loose and can pop out. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 10
I concur with some of the comfort issues. I had sore cartilage and also wasn't a big fan of the unsecure feeling. I did the wing mod (with one of my girlfriend's pony tail bands) and the coax cable mod, but by then I was realizing the wide soundstage was a bit of a problem for my imbalanced ears, I wanted closed, I wanted a little rounder bass, and I wanted a tighter secure feeling (maybe it's my agoraphobia). Enter the Shure SRH840s. Sold the AD700s on Amazon.

The midrange and treble on these was very nice, detailed, and crisp, and they were superior to the similar Sony MDR-SA1000s.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 10
IMO, I think the  AD-700  headphones are very comfortable... From Grados to the AD-700's was a big comfort plus. The sound signature of these budget cans is rather pleasing to me...Now for the facts ....These AD-700's are my "Fall a Sleep Cans"....I had moved to the Senn. HD-650's for my main Head Phone Rig and I found them to blow away the AD-700's in sound Quality (they should for the higher price)....With my Amps and source equipment.......I did upgrade the HD650 cables to the Double Helix, but ....After hearing the HD-800's at meets and Bubu1 (Tom) letting me borrow his HD-800's to really listen to them with my amps and source Equipment, Santa Claus brought me a pr.of the Senn.HD-800's!  Along with my custom built (Chris Ivan Audio)  "The Beast" All Tube Preamp/Headphone amp, I'm pleased with their sound/comfort and with the addition of a "blue Dragon ver 3" after market cable I'm finished upgrading, my cans!!!        But back to the AD-700's I really enjoy the sound and comfort (for my melon) as a great fall a sleep Headphone.....They're Powered by a Hot roded MF V3 amp with the MF V-8 out board power supply, I fall to sleep with a very satisfying sound ........The problem with the Ear pads, you speak of, isn't an issue with me......Now for the gamers, and Move around type guys I can see your point... But I paid $83.00 bucks for mine brand new and IMO, these can't be beat.........for comfort and the nice sound they recreate!.....But do remember I'm laying on my pillow, falling into La La land.....
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 10
Yes, I've noticed the comfort improves when I'm laying down, which is how I prefer to listen with these anyway. I might invest in some cheapies for sitting at the computer needing background noise when everybody else is asleep (when SQ is low priority).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back