AD700 / GR 60i...Worth it?
Aug 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

teambayern

New Head-Fier
I'm not what you'd call an audiophile, but I'm considering a step in that direction and I need a little advice.  I currently own a pair of Bose OE Triports (I know! I know! they were a gift) and use them to listen to music off my ipod and laptop at home and work.  I've wanted to upgrade for a while and I've been doing research the past few nights, and I keep hearing about how important the source is.  While I strive to find high bit rate stuff, sadly, my music is almost entirely composed of mp3s and aacs.  So here's my question:

Is it worth it to upgrade from OE triports to any of the headphones listed above PROVIDED THAT I won't have an amp and the music is mostly mp3s and aacs?

Bonus points for telling me which if any of these would be best for my purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Good day. You mentioned 3 of the most famous budget headphones out there. Buying anyone of those 3 will make your ears happy. Don't waste time, go out and get one now!
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 6
stay away from PX 100ii if you mostly listen to rock.
I don't know if it's good with rap or techno but Px 100ii is so bassy, that damn bass is too much to be considered musical.

sr60i and ms1i is the obvious upgrade if you like rock btw

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I've decided two things:

1) I am buying a nice set of cans

2) It's going to be either the 60i or the AD700.

After doing some more research, I find the excitement of the 60i's, well, exciting!  But the AD700's are in the mix because in addition to rock, I listen to folk, blues, acoustic stuff, some classical, ect.  I gather that the AD700's will blow the 60's out of the water in classical and acoustic stuff with an impressive soundstage, but that the 60's will do be much more lively and better for rock.  I also note that the AD700's are more comfy, but that the 60's are more easily travelled with.  My only chance to listen to both is a locally owned hifi shop near me, but since their prices for the AD700 are literally double amazon, I won't buy there and feel bad using them as just a test site (I've already done that once this weekend to hear the PX100s).  I've read the threads comparing these two, one of which overwhelmingly recommended the 60's the other overwhelmingly recommended the AD700s.  What to do, what to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back