AD700+Fuze portable amp?
Apr 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phanboy_iv

New Head-Fier
I'll try to make this specific, so it isn't quite so much of a typical "find me an amp" post.

Currently a budget constrained student who likes unmuddled sound. Using HD201's+Fiio E5, and naturally the amp makes a noticeable positive difference with the Senns. Recently got a uDAC, which replaced the E5 in my (mostly FLAC-based) computer sound setup. However I also have a Rockboxed Fuze containing mostly Q6 OGGs, and with that I still use the E5+HD201s.

I'm thinking on moving up to some AD700s since there's so much praise for the clarity/soundstage and I'm primarily a jazz/classical/movie/gaming man. The uDAC will probably be sufficient for the computer setup with the AD700s, since they seem to like good output better than amped bad output, but I'm concerned about my Fuze since I hear the E5 tends to blunt the things the AD700 is famous for.

Most of the things I read tell me the AD700's don't benefit much at all from amping, but will that still hold true with the (presumably low-powered) Fuze HO? Should I simply drop the amp and go Fuze->AD700?

If I did replace my E5 when I got the AD700s, what portable, rechargeable amp (<$100) would noticeably complement the Fuze+AD700 combination? BSG CMoy? iBasso T3? Or again, just nix the amp?

EDIT: I realize that the AD700's aren't that portable, but this would be mostly for those times when I'm sitting down at home or similar, just not in front of the PC.

May 3, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, got the AD700s and they sound great, a definite improvement. And they fit me well, thankfully.

Sound is excellent to me via the uDAC HO, I'm really loving it. However the Fuze HO does not sound as good, the soundstage and detail of the Fuze+AD700 seems to be noticeably less than the uDAC+AD700 when using the same FLAC file.

I don't know if this is because a $50 MP3 player just won't sound as good as even a cheap DAC and I'm silly to expect otherwise, or not.

Now considering a BSG CMoy or a PA2V2. Has anyone had any experience with AD700s and these amps? Which would accentuate, or at the very least not compromise the positives of the AD700?

May 3, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm enjoying a Fuze through an RSA Tomahawk via a custom LOD. I know the Tomahawk is out of the price bracket you're looking at, but I would recommend trying out a LOD for the Fuze if you can. There's been some debate on these forums about LOD vs. HO for the Fuze, but in my ears there's a difference, and a LOD is worth it.

May 4, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickosiris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm enjoying a Fuze through an RSA Tomahawk via a custom LOD. I know the Tomahawk is out of the price bracket you're looking at, but I would recommend trying out a LOD for the Fuze if you can. There's been some debate on these forums about LOD vs. HO for the Fuze, but in my ears there's a difference, and a LOD is worth it.

I'd considered the LOD, but apparently it's technically still not a "true" LOD, and I don't know if I want to spend $50 for LOD + $100 for an amp that might not help at all. Yeah, I know, welcome to Head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 5
As far as AD700, you probably can't go wrong with anything, I guess. Get a warm and bassy amp, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back