AD2000 vs W5000 vs K701 vs SA5000
Apr 13, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes- I do it all the time with my other ATs, in fact i've managed to sleep through the night with all the phones listed with my sig. at least once and wake in the morning with them still positioned on my head
redface.gif

Alright, thanks!
rs1smile.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #32 of 92
Phew, I am glad to read the votes for the AD2000. I just ordered one from PriceJapan and am expecting exactly what seems to be the consensus on these cans: a excellent overall performer for many kinds of music. I will match mine with a complete Naim system including a Naim headphone amp. Cannot wait.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #33 of 92
I'm leaning towards the AD2000, totally!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #34 of 92
Elephas: You seem to know alot about different headphones, and I've seen your collection (chocking!!). How would you compare the A900's against the AD2000 when it comes to the low end? I know the AD2000 goes deep, and that it's refined - but how do they compare in terms of slam & punch ?

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #35 of 92
I'm actually close to selling my K701 and giving the AD2000 a try myself. The thing I dislike most about the 701 is the lack of bass. I think the AD2000 might fit the bill for me.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #36 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by crypt@ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, it wasn't clamping force, rather it was the "seal" of the pad. WIthout adjusting the head band, the top portion of the ear pads were slightly lifted off.

Yes, for me, along with the increased clamping force there is also a better seal. When new, my W5000 fitted very loosely and didn't seal fully, and could slide off with some sedate head-banging motions.

The W5000's leather pads are larger, thicker and fluffier than the L3000's and W2002's or the AD2000's velour pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare the A900's against the AD2000 when it comes to the low end? I know the AD2000 goes deep, and that it's refined - but how do they compare in terms of slam & punch ?

The AD2000 doesn't have boomy bass. It is the tight, accurate kind, similar to the SA5000 and K701. There's less boominess than the A700 or A950LTD. I've never heard the A900.

I consider the A700 and A950LTD's bass to be muddy, loose, boomy and lacking in details compared to the AD2000. It's conceivable some bassheads might think the AD2000 lacks quantity and punch, though.

If you're looking for heavier bass slam and punch, the DT990-'05, HD650 and SA5000 have more bass impact than the AD2000.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #37 of 92
Perhaps i can also tell my experience with sa5k (for last 4 weeks). They sound pretty damn nice in my system ONLY with some specific tube combinations.

Most of the time my hand is going to HD650 for overall listening, unless I specifically select tubes for SA5K.

Long story short, sa5k is not a forgiving headphone and can sound terrible! But if you can build a specific system for them then you will enjoy listening to music immensely! my $0.02...

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 is another option. I'm guessing you might like it, because it is relatively warm and full-bodied. Good bass quantity and quality, with a slight emphasis on mid-bass that many people might like (including myself). Smooth, liquid sound that's very pleasant-sounding. No treble harshness at all and no metallic tinge. Zero listening fatigue. Can seem comparatively lacking in some treble and upper-midrange details. Also sensitive to everything in the audio reproduction chain.

If you go with HD650--set aside a lot of money for amp/source--that's all I have to say. Agree with the comments above otherwise--except the music you're listening to will always be down the hall, impossible to get close to unless you have only the finest components driving them. They're completely on the other end of the spectrum from the extremely "forward" AD2000--though HD650s do possess more bass quantity than AD2000. I still don't think they come close to touching either A900 or DT770/80 for bass quantity (however inaccurate and flabby you may consider those cans' bass to be), and thus don't happen to find HD650 to be the bass "monsters" they're cracked up to be--but perhaps if your rig is built exclusively for them you can get more out of them bass-wise. I am not a fan of those headphones though so of course YMMV. At least HD650s are easy enough to order and try with a 30-day return policy (which is precisely what I did with mine).

The comments about the W5000 here sure are confusing me. I haven't heard them but had previously written them off after reading they're extremely amp/source dependent and bass-thin. Then comes along the suggestion that they are second in bass only to L3000 which is supposed to have just about the best bass quality and quantity of any phone ever created. Hmm. The issue with the poor seal at the top of the headphones make perfect sense though--I had the same issue with AD2000's thin pads and had to add extra foam to them (a common "mod" around here--if you can call that a "mod"--to solve the issue).

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #39 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go with HD650--set aside a lot of money for amp/source--that's all I have to say. Agree with the comments above otherwise--except the music you're listening to will always be down the hall, impossible to get close to unless you have only the finest components driving them. They're completely on the other end of the spectrum from the extremely "forward" AD2000--though HD650s do possess more bass quantity than AD2000. I still think they don't come close to touching either A900 or DT770/80 for bass quantity, and think they're not really the bass "monsters" they're cracked up to be--but perhaps if your rig is built exclusively to drive HD650 you can get more out of them bass-wise.

I don't think you have to have an expensive source/amp to drive the HD650. Obviously they sound better with better stuff, but they don't sound bad through a regular pcdp with portable amp. With electronica it's more ear dependant as to what headphone you'll like IMO. I don't like ATs for electronica because they seem to recessed in the mids for my ear. I also don't like bright headphones for electronica either....especially if we're talking trip hop. For me, I like the HD650's balance for electronica (and when I say balance I mean sonic balance....no one pipe in saying oh you need to balance HD650s
tongue.gif
). Really it depends on your ears and tastes. If you can audition the ATs, Senns, AKGs, Sonys, etc....you'll get a good informed decision.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #40 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IThe comments about the W5000 here sure are confusing me.

I think there are different definitions and viewpoints of "good bass."

I don't think I'm a basshead, but I like some body and impact behind bass notes. I also like some low bass rumble and mid-bass punch. Besides the W5000 and L3000's bass, I also like the HD650, RS-1, SA5000 and AD2000's bass. I don't like the K701's bass as much, but it isn't bad and it has other superior qualities.

I want everything to be balanced and not have dominant bass or treble, or recessed treble and bass. This balance, plus bass details, textures and extension, is what I mean by the W5000's and L3000's bass being the best I've heard.

The W5000 has less quantity and impact than the L3000, and also has less body and punch. It has at least equal or maybe even better bass details and textures.

I think the W5000 leans slightly toward bass-thin and the L3000 leans slightly towards bass-emphasis. Something right in between would be "tonally balanced' for me.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

I think there are different definitions and viewpoints of "good bass."

I don't think I'm a basshead, but I like some body and impact behind bass notes. I also like some low bass rumble and mid-bass punch. Besides the W5000 and L3000's bass, I also like the HD650, RS-1, SA5000 and AD2000's bass. I don't like the K701's bass as much, but it isn't bad and it has other superior qualities.

I want everything to be balanced and not have dominant bass or treble, or recessed treble and bass. This balance, plus bass details, textures and extension, is what I mean by the W5000's and L3000's bass being the best I've heard.

The W5000 has less quantity and impact than the L3000, and also has less body and punch. It has at least equal or maybe even better bass details and textures.

I think the W5000 leans slightly toward bass-thin and the L3000 leans slightly towards bass-emphasis. Something right in between would be "tonally balanced' for me.

What did you think of the Ultrasone bass in comparison to the cans you just mentioned?

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #42 of 92
Heh, you're not going to trick me so easily.
cool.gif

My virtual avatar has been beaten, bashed, strangled, burned, torn, stabbed, trampled, crushed, eviscerated, gutted, curb-stomped, shot, nuked and phasered in some recent threads.
blink.gif

Anyway, I don't own the Proline 2500 anymore.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

Heh, you're not going to trick me so easily.
cool.gif

My virtual avatar has been beaten, bashed, strangled, burned, torn, stabbed, trampled, crushed, eviscerated, gutted, curb-stomped, shot, nuked and phasered in some recent threads.
blink.gif

Anyway, I don't own the Proline 2500 anymore.

Say what..? I must have missed those threads.. I respect all your views, Elephas, and I'm also interrested in knowing what you think of Ultrasones compared to AD2000.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #44 of 92
BTW - Did some searching on prices on the AD2000.

Pricejapan: 481 Dollars
Bluetin: 573 Dollars
Musician's Friend: 800 Dollars
Amazon: 800 Dollars
Guitar Center: 800 Dollars
Audiocubes: 998 Dollars

Pretty amazing difference between PriceJapan and Audiocubes. I bought The A900's from Audiocubes, and concidered it a very cheap deal. 481 Dollars from PriceJapan on the AD2000's is very tempting atm, I must admit. How much is the shipping gonna be to Norway, approximately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back