AD2000 vs W5000 vs K701 vs SA5000
Apr 13, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #16 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD2000 may sound a bit "muddier", however it still delivers a nice punchy sound that works well with everything I throw at it. I really can't say that about the SA5000.

Indeed. I would definitely say the AD2000 seems to sound great with almost anything! Be it a simple portable source, a great dedicated source, solid amplification, or any type of music. And the airiness plus the slightly warm A-T house midrange are quite magical!

But be it known that I'm one of the few SA5000 lovers still out there. (Despite not owning one since late 06.) No matter what some would like to say, the SA5000 with the right amp is simply amazing with pop, electronica, and some forms of metal.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 92
Wow, a thread for five of my favorite headphones!

Beyerdynamic DT 880 2005 Edition --> Way too bass-shy.
I agree it doesn't have a lot of bass quantity. The DT990-'05 is more full-bodied and has more bass quantity and impact.

Audio-Technica ATH-A900 ---> Beautiful. Maybe a little thin sounding overall.
I've only heard the A900LTD and A950LTD. I didn't think they were too thin-sounding. Based on this, I suspect you might consider the W5000 too thin-sounding, though associated gear can affect the amount of body.

AD2000 ---> VERY rich sounding. But lacks power and punchy bass.
Hmm, I don't really know what is meant by "lacks power." The AD2000's bass is very good, quantity and quality-wise. Not as punchy as the RS-1, and quantity is less than the SA5000 or RS-1. Bass details and texture are excellent, but not as good as W5000's. Not as sensitive to amplification and sounds good with modest source+amp.

W5000 ---> Sensitive for amplification. Very nice sounding overall.
Can be thin-sounding. Sensitive to everything: source material, source, amplification, etc. Might not be the best choice for you.

K701 ---> Sensitive for amplification. Lacks volume in the low-end-area.
Like the W5000, also sensitive to everything. Bass quantity and impact is least of all the headphones here. The K701 is the most "neutral-sounding" to me.

SA5000 ---> Top notch for trance. Big soundstage, but recessed high-freqs.
Soundstage is not as large as the K701 or maybe the W5000+HA5000. Highs are very good and don't seem recessed to me. Crisp treble, not too bright or harsh. Excellent for trance and fast-paced electronica. Fast and detailed, with decent bass impact. Can seem cold and clinical compared to the AD2000. I use the SA5000 exclusively with electronica music.

The HD650 is another option. I'm guessing you might like it, because it is relatively warm and full-bodied. Good bass quantity and quality, with a slight emphasis on mid-bass that many people might like (including myself). Smooth, liquid sound that's very pleasant-sounding. No treble harshness at all and no metallic tinge. Zero listening fatigue. Can seem comparatively lacking in some treble and upper-midrange details. Also sensitive to everything in the audio reproduction chain.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #18 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. I would definitely say the AD2000 seems to sound great with almost anything! Be it a simple portable source, a great dedicated source, solid amplification, or any type of music. And the airiness plus the slightly warm A-T house midrange are quite magical!

But be it known that I'm one of the few SA5000 lovers still out there. (Despite not owning one since late 06.) No matter what some would like to say, the SA5000 with the right amp is simply amazing with pop, electronica, and some forms of metal.

Just curious, is it possible to lie down in bed with the ad2000 while listening to music?

*edit* Also, the sa5k seems to get top spots for electronica in many of you guys' eyes. Would this electronica includes slower, more atmospheric stuff like ambient, downtempo, and trip hop?

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #19 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is right. They are almost electrostatic in their bass impact, but they have very low extension. Thats partly the reason for my love for them - I do not like SLAM -_-.

So they deal well with nice long low notes?
The W5000 has always tempted me as a possible future can, so I should find out if it's suitable.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #20 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So they deal well with nice long low notes?
The W5000 has always tempted me as a possible future can, so I should find out if it's suitable.

Unlike other cans I heard it effortlessly reproduces all the way down, but without putting it up front, it freaks me out sometimes how much stuff some of the trance I listen has down there. If you want impact though, w5000 only will deliver it with a bass-boost circuit in place (not a fan of EQ personally if it can be avoided).

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 92
I'm curious. When you guys talk about trance, what artists/songs are you referring to? If you like, what's a good reference song to get an intro to the trance sound?

(there's so much talk of trance in the thread, but I wonder if we're all talking about the same thing)

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #22 of 92
True that... on some tracks where you are used to the bass from something akin to Sennheiser HD650s on the bass meter the w5000 will sound thin for sure. But it is fricken accurate and does extend insanely low...

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #23 of 92
Just to show how eveyone interpret audio differently.

The AD2000 and W5000, I find to be much faster than the Beyers, is particularly well suited to the techno/electornic genre. I quite enjoy DT880, though I feel even the AD900 to have better balance.

I like my music to be delivered as a complete "package", i.e. not bass or mid, high-centric. With A900 I find the mid to be too forward focused and bass notes to lack definition. There is a clear difference between _quality_ of the same bass rumble out of AD2000, W5000 to A900. If you enjoy controlled delivery, on this the higher AT will not disappoint.

BTW, after looking forward to a listen of SA5000, I was left underwhelm with its sound. It is well suited to electronic, but I find to lack lustre on classical, jazz.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #24 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious. When you guys talk about trance, what artists/songs are you referring to? If you like, what's a good reference song to get an intro to the trance sound?

(there's so much talk of trance in the thread, but I wonder if we're all talking about the same thing)

I swear by Infected Mushroom and Shpongle (the latter is quite out there for any music type though). Just few examples, thats what people call Goa Psy, more psychedelic area of trance.

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #25 of 92
Just to speak about the AD2000. I agree with most of the statements so far. I was just listening today and thinking "Wow, what impact. What bass." I would describe the AD2000's bass as needing to be coaxed out with the proper system but it's definitely there. Overall a great headphone though. Very rich. I can listen to my Bob Dylan CDs at length and really be drawn into the music.

Strangly I found the AD2000 to improved a lot after I started listening to it at slightly higher volumes. Thats when the full sonic picture just gelled. I had been listening disappointedly for a while before discovering this quirk. Then I really fell in love with this headphone.

I'm surprised to hear the W5000 had less bass. I've only ever heard it in less than ideal conditions.

Good thread!

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #26 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, is it possible to lie down in bed with the ad2000 while listening to music?
*Thanks!

yes- I do it all the time with my other ATs, in fact i've managed to sleep through the night with all the phones listed with my sig. at least once and wake in the morning with them still positioned on my head
redface.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #27 of 92
Me too, once I was so tired, neither the W5000 nor I had changed position when morning came!

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #28 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it actually sounds quite good with most of the electronic music I throw at it. Sasha (oh man Airdrawndagger!
eek.gif
), John Digweed, Kruder and Dorfmeister, Massive Attack, BT, Orbital, etc.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #29 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised to hear the W5000 had less bass. I've only ever heard it in less than ideal conditions.

The W5000's bass quantity and impact can depend on fit.

I've bent my W5000's headband to increase clamping force, and bass impact and quantity is higher than the AD2000's.

Bass quality, details and texture, is also better than the AD2000's.

The only headphone I've heard with overall better bass quality and quantity (including balanced tonality) than the W5000 is the L3000.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #30 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000's bass quantity and impact can depend on fit.

I've bent my W5000's headband to increase clamping force, and bass impact and quantity is higher than the AD2000's.

Bass quality, details and texture, is also better than the AD2000's.

For me, it wasn't clamping force, rather it was the "seal" of the pad. WIthout adjusting the head band, the top portion of the ear pads were slightly lifted off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only headphone I've heard with overall better bass quality and quantity (including balanced tonality) than the W5000 is the L3000.

Agree, L3000 does have better bass, though I find the W5000 to be faster and have better sound imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back