AD 500 vs AD 700 vs Senn HD 555
Jun 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #31 of 61

Quote:

You said this, did you not?......... Did I read their minds? No, but as this ISN'T a Gaming headphone based forum and rather an Audiophile based forum you have to use your brain and assume they were referring to music. If common sense isn't enough you could always just look at all the comments, gaming is only mentioned as an extra perk to the already great ad700. You're really just trying to hold on to whatever you can to keep this argument alive aren't you? Time to let go my friend. 

Yeah I said it, and your point is?  Most people that boast about the AD700s as great headphones always mention gaming pretty quickly..  I made it clear up front that they should make sure the information they take in is based on music, and not gaming, if they wanted headphones just for music.  May they like the AD700s more than HD555 if they tried them out? Sure, almost everything on this website is someones opinion.  I just feel that there are more opinions of the AD700s based on gaming than the HD555s.  I'm not saying that every single opinion about the AD700s are based around gaming, not sure how many times I need to state that.  If there is a headphone that is used mostly for gaming, than it will be brought up regarding gaming most of the time?  This website isn't just for music headphones.  There was even some guys in that thread that admitted the AD700s sucked for music and they only used them for gaming.  That is so great if you prefer the AD700 over the HD555.  I could freakin care less to be honest. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #32 of 61

Quote:

Yeah I said it, and your point is?  Most people that boast about the AD700s as great headphones always mention gaming pretty quickly..  I made it clear up front that they should make sure the information they take in is based on music, and not gaming, if they wanted headphones just for music.  May they like the AD700s more than HD555 if they tried them out? Sure, almost everything on this website is someones opinion.  I just feel that there are more opinions of the AD700s based on gaming than the HD555s.  I'm not saying that every single opinion about the AD700s are based around gaming, not sure how many times I need to state that.  If there is a headphone that is used mostly for gaming, than it will be brought up regarding gaming most of the time?  This website isn't just for music headphones.  There was even some guys in that thread that admitted the AD700s sucked for music and they only used them for gaming.  That is so great if you prefer the AD700 over the HD555.  I could freaking care less to be honest, and I don't really think it contributes anything to this thread, based on some of the comments you have made. 

"x2"

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #33 of 61
Found an old quote here from Mad Max:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max

Quote:
Just because the masses repeat the hype doesn't mean they are for everyone.  Am I saying I expect them to NOT be good?  No. . .I'm just saying I don't think they will be for me. . .and that IS based on the 900+ threads of information I have sifted through.  I just figured my current situation to be the best time to find out once and for all for myself. . .fact or hype.

Very well said, comrade.

Not everyone who has tried AD700 likes it, or is an AT fan like me =P

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #35 of 61
Disclaimer: I apologize to the moderators for this next post!
You two are impossible to argue with because all you do is spout out Logical Fallacies (go ahead and whip out the ole' dictionary) and completely disregard what the MAJORITY (that ones for you Ze_Blitzkdglksfg1****kjvn, notice that I added MAJORITY in bold and in caps. Majority meaning not just some random guy who posted his dislike of the ad700) opinion is. Do you guys even read what I write or are you guys just thinking up another argument? Christ have mercy on you both.

Now thats said I'm going to sort through the things in both of your last posts, and try to find things that are actually related to the point.... still looking......still looking...... this is kinda difficult.... how am I going to relay everything wrong here without writing a novel that they will only skim through and not actually read? 

Jeez where to start?

How about we start with you TigerHawk. The reason I quoted your original post is because you stated that Most people recommend the ad700 over the hd555 for gaming and not music. Your next argument stated that only SOME people feel that the hd555 is superior to the ad700 in music, and it is a matter of preference. It seems you are having a hard time making things up. You should just try sticking with facts and not the Land of Oz.

Next... to you Blitz_ uhhh? Lets just call you Blitz because I'm tired of copying and pasting your name
very_evil_smiley.gif
. What in the world are you trying to say? Do you actually have a point or are you just agreeing with everything TigerHawk is saying. How about we do this. State your case in one sentence and let the Op (or whoever runs across this atrocious thread) decide. 

(To both of you) I'm going to lay out a scenario and I hope you guys can keep up as it may confuse you two... Ok, so 1 in 10 africans in africa have aids (might not be correct but it doesn't matter just keep reading) , we achieved this information by randomly checking say 1000 africans for aids. The tests showed that out of those 1000, 100 of them had aids. 
You may be asking what is the point and how does this apply to the argument? And i'd say," Case and point." See what I just did there? No? 

Sorry to everyone who just wanted to know which one is a better buy. Especially to the Op! 

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #36 of 61
hmm something tells me i'm going to get banned if I say anything further. So by all means, you guys can get the last word if you'd like. I don't need them for my self esteem. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #37 of 61
Quote:
Disclaimer: I apologize to the moderators for this next post!
You two are impossible to argue with because all you do is spout out Logical Fallacies (go ahead and whip out the ole' dictionary) and completely disregard what the MAJORITY (that ones for you Ze_Blitzkdglksfg1****kjvn, notice that I added MAJORITY in bold and in caps. Majority meaning not just some random guy who posted his dislike of the ad700) opinion is. Do you guys even read what I write or are you guys just thinking up another argument? Christ have mercy on you both.

Now thats said I'm going to sort through the things in both of your last posts, and try to find things that are actually related to the point.... still looking......still looking...... this is kinda difficult.... how am I going to relay everything wrong here without writing a novel that they will only skim through and not actually read? 

Jeez where to start?

How about we start with you TigerHawk. The reason I quoted your original post is because you stated that Most people recommend the ad700 over the hd555 for gaming and not music. Your next argument stated that only SOME people feel that the hd555 is superior to the ad700 in music, and it is a matter of preference. It seems you are having a hard time making things up. You should just try sticking with facts and not the Land of Oz.

Next... to you Blitz_ uhhh? Lets just call you Blitz because I'm tired of copying and pasting your name
very_evil_smiley.gif
. What in the world are you trying to say? Do you actually have a point or are you just agreeing with everything TigerHawk is saying. How about we do this. State your case in one sentence and let the Op (or whoever runs across this atrocious thread) decide. 

(To both of you) I'm going to lay out a scenario and I hope you guys can keep up as it may confuse you two... Ok, so 1 in 10 africans in africa have aids (might not be correct but it doesn't matter just keep reading) , we achieved this information by randomly checking say 1000 africans for aids. The tests showed that out of those 1000, 100 of them had aids. 
You may be asking what is the point and how does this apply to the argument? And i'd say," Case and point." See what I just did there? No? 

Sorry to everyone who just wanted to know which one is a better buy. Especially to the Op! 

My entire point, which must be over you head, is that one can not make false claims on performace such as "slow" or "fast" unless you can actually prove it.  This means you have to have facts. . .stats. . .sorry this is how the real world works.  Stick to "wooly" or "light" as these are not implying something physical about the headphone's performance itself.  If you can not understand that there is a difference between the two then you must have issues.  My life is numbers, stats, etc. . .it's what a Mechanical Engineer works with, and when you are describing something you can not make claims that can not be backed by test results.  Your little scenario there for example. . .without that statistical information, you can only make a valid statement of "some have aids", but with the stats you can then say XX out of XXX have aids.  Since that was a scenario made by you, maybe you can finally understand this entire point.  I find it ironic that you tell Tigerhawk to "stict to the facts" but you somehow can't grasp my entire point of separation of fact and opinion.

As for me "agreeing with everything Tigerhawk is saying", if someone is right, they are right.  I feel like everything I have posted minus the "x2" and "YMMV" is very relevant to the original post.  If you are trying to make decisions on headphones, what I have pasted from the other thread is very important.  I suppose that in your mind to agree with someone is wrong?  Sorry if my comment mirror/parallel with someone else's. . .I must be in the wrong somehow according to you.  You know, a majority is a majority because they agree with each other.

I suppose that ultimately we should not say what we think about the headphones along with posts with other information to back up our stated opinions?  I always find the most information to back up someone's claims to be the most relevant and meaningful.  Simply coming into a thread and saying "I'd go with the HD555's" means nothing to me.  Why do you choose them?  What makes you feel the way you do?  What grounds are you starting on with doing your comparisons? etc. . .it's called useful information.  When you watch the news, are you content to hear, "there was a body found downtown this afternoon," or are you wanting to know where the body was found, the cause of death, etc?  At the same time these need to be valid statement's, which was my point that I cleared up at the start of this post.

Lastly, with your statement about the MAJORITY (since you felt the need to put it in caps and bold).  The majority is not right for everyone, and if you only go by the majority you don't get the whole picture.  Let's take a look at history. . .think of something you feel was bad in the past, as in some mass event.  Well guess what, this was performed by the majority. . .otherwise it would not have happened.  My point here is the masses/majority are not always right.  This being said, you can only go off of people's opinions unless you can try them for yourself (the latter which is the best thing to do).  Now, if only the MAJORITY voices their opinions with no arguments or counter impressions you end up with a useless thread of information that paints a very inadequate, lackluster picture to the situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now. . .back to the original point of this thread.  Sorry someone had to derail this thread to take a personal shot at myself and/or Tigerhawk.

All of this and all that I have posted, has backed up my original opinion displayed that the HD555 is a better buy for the money.  You might pay ~$15 more for it, but you are getting something that will run the whole gambit.  Sure, the AD700's are not bad, and I never said they were. . .other than for music, and that is my opinion.  They are not very musical at all, but should be "fine" for gaming.  Are they going to help you gain kills or keep you from dying as much in games?  No. . .but they may make you feel better about all of this if you believe some of the posts made here on head-fi that I have read (not from the ones in this thread).  With that being said, if you are ONLY going to use one of these for gaming, save yourself the extra ~$15 and by the AD700's.  

Overall, I would say the AD700's are a decent headphone and will certainly be an improvement over anything in a lower price range in my opinion, but they do not win out in their own respective price range at the same time.  I would say the HD555's are more "natural" as compared to the AD700's being more "artificial". . .mainly due to the large sound stage everyone mentions.  This does not work for me in music, movies, tv, etc. . .I would rather everything sound like it would if I were there in person in real life, and I feel the HD555's do a much better job on this.  It is kind of like knifes. . .you can either buy a specialty knife to accomplish one task, or you can buy a swiss army knife which tackles a wider array of the tasks at hand.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #38 of 61

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply. And DT 770 is closed? I didnt know. BTW I am looking for open cans. And MS-1 is supraaural. I am looking at comfort alot so I want circumaural as well as velour pads. And do you know the price of DT 250 and DT 440? Thanks :)

The AD700's earpads feel more like wool then they do velour.  The HD555's earpads are made out of a much more comfortable material and also do not have as much surface area against your head.  For me, the AD700's cause me to get hot and even sweat a little under the pads even though they were open.  My ears themselves did not get how, but the area around under the pads on the AD700's got extremely hot.  The HD555's pads are kinda like those covers you can go that are extremely soft (idk what they are made of, but my old girlfriend had one and it was awesome to ball up and use as a pillow, haha) compared to the AD700's being more like a thick flannel blanket in my opinion.

Sorry, I missed this post earlier or I would have already made that comment.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #40 of 61

Quote:

Thanks, this helps to show how much you are losing on the lower frequencies with the AD700's compared to the HD555's.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #41 of 61
Well I don't think anyone denies the ad700 is not a bassy hp.  I would like to get both to a/b eventually, would also like to find a good deal on a hd580.  I think a lot of it is just which signature you prefer.

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #43 of 61

Quote:
Well I don't think anyone denies the ad700 is not a bassy hp.  I would like to get both to a/b eventually, would also like to find a good deal on a hd580.  I think a lot of it is just which signature you prefer.

Sorry, wasn't saying anyone was denying it. . .and I have a/b tested then extensively (both are on my desk as I type even).  This is how I came to my conclusions and reserved my statements comparing the two until I had both.  I also agree with you statement about sound signature preferences, but still stand by my statements in previous post as for why they (AD700) are not the best for music.

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #44 of 61

Quote:
My entire point, which must be over you head, is that one can not make false claims on performace such as "slow" or "fast" unless you can actually prove it.  This means you have to have facts. . .stats. . .sorry this is how the real world works.  Stick to "wooly" or "light" as these are not implying something physical about the headphone's performance itself.  If you can not understand that there is a difference between the two then you must have issues.  My life is numbers, stats, etc. . .it's what a Mechanical Engineer works with, and when you are describing something you can not make claims that can not be backed by test results.  Your little scenario there for example. . .without that statistical information, you can only make a valid statement of "some have aids", but with the stats you can then say XX out of XXX have aids.  Since that was a scenario made by you, maybe you can finally understand this entire point.  I find it ironic that you tell Tigerhawk to "stict to the facts" but you somehow can't grasp my entire point of separation of fact and opinion.

As for me "agreeing with everything Tigerhawk is saying", if someone is right, they are right.  I feel like everything I have posted minus the "x2" and "YMMV" is very relevant to the original post.  If you are trying to make decisions on headphones, what I have pasted from the other thread is very important.  I suppose that in your mind to agree with someone is wrong?  Sorry if my comment mirror/parallel with someone else's. . .I must be in the wrong somehow according to you.  You know, a majority is a majority because they agree with each other.

I suppose that ultimately we should not say what we think about the headphones along with posts with other information to back up our stated opinions?  I always find the most information to back up someone's claims to be the most relevant and meaningful.  Simply coming into a thread and saying "I'd go with the HD555's" means nothing to me.  Why do you choose them?  What makes you feel the way you do?  What grounds are you starting on with doing your comparisons? etc. . .it's called useful information.  When you watch the news, are you content to hear, "there was a body found downtown this afternoon," or are you wanting to know where the body was found, the cause of death, etc?  At the same time these need to be valid statement's, which was my point that I cleared up at the start of this post.

Lastly, with your statement about the MAJORITY (since you felt the need to put it in caps and bold).  The majority is not right for everyone, and if you only go by the majority you don't get the whole picture.  Let's take a look at history. . .think of something you feel was bad in the past, as in some mass event.  Well guess what, this was performed by the majority. . .otherwise it would not have happened.  My point here is the masses/majority are not always right.  This being said, you can only go off of people's opinions unless you can try them for yourself (the latter which is the best thing to do).  Now, if only the MAJORITY voices their opinions with no arguments or counter impressions you end up with a useless thread of information that paints a very inadequate, lackluster picture to the situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now. . .back to the original point of this thread.  Sorry someone had to derail this thread to take a personal shot at myself and/or Tigerhawk.

All of this and all that I have posted, has backed up my original opinion displayed that the HD555 is a better buy for the money.  You might pay ~$15 more for it, but you are getting something that will run the whole gambit.  Sure, the AD700's are not bad, and I never said they were. . .other than for music, and that is my opinion.  They are not very musical at all, but should be "fine" for gaming.  Are they going to help you gain kills or keep you from dying as much in games?  No. . .but they may make you feel better about all of this if you believe some of the posts made here on head-fi that I have read (not from the ones in this thread).  With that being said, if you are ONLY going to use one of these for gaming, save yourself the extra ~$15 and by the AD700's.  

Overall, I would say the AD700's are a decent headphone and will certainly be an improvement over anything in a lower price range in my opinion, but they do not win out in their own respective price range at the same time.  I would say the HD555's are more "natural" as compared to the AD700's being more "artificial". . .mainly due to the large sound stage everyone mentions.  This does not work for me in music, movies, tv, etc. . .I would rather everything sound like it would if I were there in person in real life, and I feel the HD555's do a much better job on this.  It is kind of like knifes. . .you can either buy a specialty knife to accomplish one task, or you can buy a swiss army knife which tackles a wider array of the tasks at hand.

I know I told myself I wouldn't say anything more but it's late and my discipline isn't the best tonight. Its funny because my aids comparison was what completely flew over your head. I was being sarcastic to prove how pointless your and TigerHawks comparisons were. It's otherwise know as a logical fallacy. I had a feeling you wouldn't get it. Take a moment and look back at who took the first shot at who. I wasn't the guy who said anything about "slow" and "fast" , nor did I say anything about "wooly" and "light", that was some other guy.

Your majority theory is correct if you are talking about specific past events and those specific past events only. When you bring up situations where the majority vote caused disaster you also have to mention when majority vote was a success. Both of which have absolutely NOTHING to do with this matter right here and right now. That is another tally for the ole' logical fallacy mistake.

When a person hasn't actually heard the headphones we recommend that person has to make a decision based on what we say. Two headphones like the Ad700 and the hd555 are going to arise debate, both having their strengths and both having weaknesses. Nothing is better than a Poll of people with different opinions and different circumstances when your deciding on what your first audiophile headphone should be. How the heck is he supposed to know what we're talking about when we give out recommendations? 

Lastly, someone of your caliber should know that frequency response isn't all of what makes the headphone sound good. I'm no expert by any standard but I do know that the way the headphone is constructed has nearly as much to do with the sound as the way the driver is constructed. Yes the hd555 has a better low end but as you can see the hd555 rolls off in the high end. Once again a fair trade in which both have equal pluses and minuses, and in the end it comes down to what he or she prefers. My only valid argument from the beginning was that more people prefer that rolled of bass rather than the tamed highs of the hd555 since the bass in both lack "punch". 

I hope we can just agree to disagree. In reality we're just carrying on an argument that has been going on for years now. 
(To the OP) - I wouldn't pick anything but the Ad700 or the Hd555 in your price range. You really can't go wrong with either of the two because even though there is debate about which is better, they're both very nice Cans. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #45 of 61
Ok, people thanks alot for your views but this argument has seemed too intensive. Relax. Mainly the argument has been between AD 700 and HD 555 which is good. They were my main choices for me. But I think i would like some opinions on DT 770 and AD 500 and any links on how to mod AD 700 if get them. And anyone knows prices for DT 770? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back