AD 500 vs AD 700 vs Senn HD 555
Jun 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

soccerhotty14

New Head-Fier
Hey. I am going to get a new pair of headphones so I am looking for opinions. I have few choices in mind. Namely, AD 500, AD 700, HD 555. The DT 440 and DT 770 are 2 other choices but Im not sure what their price ranges are so if you all have ANY opinion on these headphones and which is the most recommended PLEASE OH PLEASE give me some advice. And do tell me what their suitable price ranges will be. Thanks in advance.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 61
Only get DT770 if you need a closed phone and have a good amp (though there are better options available if you want closed such as the SRH440 or DT250). The DT440 sounds better than the others you have listed if your willing to pay a bit extra. Otherwise the AD700 sounds best.  MS-1 is another option to consider.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 61
Hey thanks for the reply. And DT 770 is closed? I didnt know. BTW I am looking for open cans. And MS-1 is supraaural. I am looking at comfort alot so I want circumaural as well as velour pads. And do you know the price of DT 250 and DT 440? Thanks :)

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 61
Ad700's are absolutely the best in your list. The MS-1 is also a good choice if you primarily listen to Rock. The Ad700's are more comfortable though (unless you have a small head.)

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 61
Yes, I saw a thread where someone did a fantastic mod to their AD700s, I was considering it myself.

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 61

Quote:
Hey. I am going to get a new pair of headphones so I am looking for opinions. I have few choices in mind. Namely, AD 500, AD 700, HD 555. The DT 440 and DT 770 are 2 other choices but Im not sure what their price ranges are so if you all have ANY opinion on these headphones and which is the most recommended PLEASE OH PLEASE give me some advice. And do tell me what their suitable price ranges will be. Thanks in advance.

Do you want headphones for music or gaming?  If you want them for music, then the HD555 is the better choice.  If you look close enough, you actually find out the AD700 is mostly recommended over other headphones mainly based on "gaming", NOT as an overall headphone or for music.  You have to be careful about that.  I have a strong opinion about the AD700, based on actually trying it out and comparing it to other headphones, including the HD555s. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 61

Quote:
Do you want headphones for music or gaming?  If you want them for music, then the HD555 is the better choice.  If you look close enough, you actually find out the AD700 is mostly recommended over other headphones mainly based on "gaming", NOT as an overall headphone or for music.  You have to be careful about that.  I have a strong opinion about the AD700, based on actually trying it out and comparing it to other headphones, including the HD555s. 

Sorry but I don't find that to be true at all, and I think most head-fiers would agree. The Ad700's Gaming performance is due to their rather large soundstage which is just one of their strengths. I owned both the Hd555 and the Ad700 and there is a clear reason I kept the ad700. The ad700 has all the strengths of the hd555 but also has a MUCH wider soundstage and without the "sennheiser veil." 

(To SoccerHotty14) If your considering either the ad700 and the hd555 there is a couple things to consider. If you want a mellow/laid back less detailed phone, you should go with the hd555.
If you want a slightly more involving/detailed phone with a wide soundstage, go with the ad700. Both have their pluses and minuses and both slightly lack bass, but at your price point(assuming from the HP's you've listed) these are the best Open cans. There is a poll that you can look up if you type in "ad700 vs hd555" into the head-fi search engine that might help you decide. Head-fiers seem to favor the ad700 over the hd555 3 to 1. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 61

Quote:
Sorry but I don't find that to be true at all, and I think most head-fiers would agree. The Ad700's Gaming performance is due to their rather large soundstage which is just one of their strengths. I owned both the Hd555 and the Ad700 and there is a clear reason I kept the ad700. The ad700 has all the strengths of the hd555 but also has a MUCH wider soundstage and without the "sennheiser veil." 

(To SoccerHotty14) If your considering either the ad700 and the hd555 there is a couple things to consider. If you want a mellow/laid back less detailed phone, you should go with the hd555.
If you want a slightly more involving/detailed phone with a wide soundstage, go with the ad700. Both have their pluses and minuses and both slightly lack bass, but at your price point(assuming from the HP's you've listed) these are the best Open cans. There is a poll that you can look up if you type in "ad700 vs hd555" into the head-fi search engine that might help you decide. Head-fiers seem to favor the ad700 over the hd555 3 to 1. 

The AD700 has all of the strengths as the HD555? How do you come up with that?  If anything, they are just simply different sounding headphones.  The HD555 has more bass, and is actually more upfront and energetic for music.  How in the world do you get that the HD555s are veiled?  That is rediculous.  Do you work for Audio-Technica?  The Sennheiser veil is usually used to describe the HD600s and HD650s not the HD555s and HD595s...  I personally don't believe there is any veil; and the whole veil idea entirely subjective anyways.  It is real that most people that own AD700s, bought them just for gaming, and that means you don't know if they just use them for gaming or music. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 61

Quote:

That's total horse hockey. . .the AD700's do NOT have all of the strengths of the HD555's.  Yes, the soundstage is "larger" in volume, but the radial resolution is not any better.  Also, both cans lack the "depth" in the soundstages, but if anything the HD555's seem to have more "layers" to the stage.  Just because something is bigger doesn't mean it's better.  Without an increase in radial resolution, you gain nothing. . .period.  End of story.  Enjoy the placebo effect if you think you are gaining something.  Also. . .about forgot. . .the soundstage is more artificial than natural.  If you want stuff to be more realistic, go for the HD555, if you want everything to be spread out (even things that shouldn't be like your own gun fire and things right at you which are thrown out to the sides with the AD700's) then by all means, go for the AD700's.  The choice is yours, and yours alone.

If you are strictly gaming. . .sure, save yourself a few bucks. . .if you want an all rounder though. . .don't consider the AD700's.  They are crap for music compared to the HD555's.

Some reason this argument seems to run parallel with the F150 vs. Tundra discussions. . .that is if you are in cars/trucks. . .analmusinef.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 61
And so it begins again...

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 61
First of all you two should take a flippin chill pill and settle down! Christ! It's obvious that you two have an obvious bias in favor of Sennheiser sound. I'm not against sennheiser so there isn't a need for you guys to defend Sennheiser to the death or anything. I'm obviously speaking from opinion, I owned both for a while and I kept my ad700. I can honestly say that I and many others hear the veil sound in the hd555, I effectively removed this with a dremel and some modding skills but thats aside from the point. 

To TigerHawk- I don't know if you're just trying to be argumentative, but how can you say the Hd555 has more of an "up front energetic sound?" The hd555 was designed to be laid back. Don't believe me? Just take a look around head-fi lol. No, I don't work for Audio Technica btw. 

Almost everything you two are saying is completely different from my experiences with the Hd555 and very different from others experiences on this forum. I understand everyone has different listening tastes and hear things differently so to SoccerHotty14, I once again suggest checking out the Poll. Around 100 people submitted there opinions and nearly all of them voted for the ad700 over the hd555. Tons of them left comments as well, you'll find that there opinions are fairly on par with mine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back