AD 500 vs AD 700 vs Senn HD 555
Jun 23, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 61
Did it occur to you that a lot of people, including me, like the AD700 more for music (don't just assume that they like them more due to gaming performance) than the HD555. Just because you don't doesn't mean others wont. The AD700 is the technically superior can (better detail, clarity, soundstage separation, bass quality, speed etc.) The HD555 may have more bass and but when its slow and wooly in comparison, it doesn't mean much. The AD700 is also more forward sounding than the laid back HD555, at least in the highs (bass impact is stronger on the HD555). Sound balance preference and comfort will be dependant on the individual.

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 61

Quote:
First of all you two should take a flippin chill pill and settle down! Christ! It's obvious that you two have an obvious bias in favor of Sennheiser sound. I'm not against sennheiser so there isn't a need for you guys to defend Sennheiser to the death or anything. I'm obviously speaking from opinion, I owned both for a while and I kept my ad700. I can honestly say that I and many others hear the veil sound in the hd555, I effectively removed this with a dremel and some modding skills but thats aside from the point. 

To TigerHawk- I don't know if you're just trying to be argumentative, but how can you say the Hd555 has more of an "up front energetic sound?" The hd555 was designed to be laid back. Don't believe me? Just take a look around head-fi lol. No, I don't work for Audio Technica btw. 

Almost everything you two are saying is completely different from my experiences with the Hd555 and very different from others experiences on this forum. I understand everyone has different listening tastes and hear things differently so to SoccerHotty14, I once again suggest checking out the Poll. Around 100 people submitted there opinions and nearly all of them voted for the ad700 over the hd555. Tons of them left comments as well, you'll find that there opinions are fairly on par with mine. 

Hardly ever do I see anyone mention the HD555s have a veil or are layed back.  Telling me to look around Head-Fi?  Trust me, I've taken plenty a look around Head-Fi.  I'd actually be interested and fully support your statements about the HD555s being "designed to be laid back", if you could find me some proof that Sennheiser designed the phones to be that way.  Regarding you working for AT, that was just me joking around.  I personally listened to the AD700s, and directly compared to the HD555s, and there is absolutely no way I could ever state that the AD700s are more energetic and upfront compared to the HD555s, but to each his own.  There are plenty of people that prefer the HD555 over the AD700, and plenty the other way around; but I'm not just making things up when I say a lot of people's support of the AD700s is solely based on gaming; they are chosen by gamers all over aren't they? 

My response to you may have been overdone and I probably shouldn't have been so aggressive, but I just felt what you were saying completely goes against my own, and others personal real world testing of the HD555s and AD700s.  Of course I have no idea what kind of setup you were using to compare, including what music (if you even listened to music much with the two headphones), so that could change a lot.  I don't necessarily prefer the "Sennheiser sound", I prefer the headphone that sounds natural, great and energetic for music and one that doesn't artificially place sounds outward, and take away sounds that are meant to be close.  I am plenty open to other brands and sounds. 

I saw the poll, and after some studying and thinking I came to the conclusion as to why it was that way.  It basically goes back to the idea of the AD700s being "gaming" headphones, and therefore opinions are based on gaming and not so much music and movies, etc.  Really don't want to get into any of that again though.  There are just too many factors and opinions to say what is right, so I guess ultimately everything is still opinion. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #18 of 61

Quote:
Did it occur to you that a lot of people, including me, like the AD700 more for music (don't just assume that they like them more due to gaming performance) than the HD555. Just because you don't doesn't mean others wont. The AD700 is the technically superior can (better detail, clarity, soundstage separation, bass quality, speed etc.) The HD555 may have more bass and but when its slow and wooly in comparison, it doesn't mean much. The AD700 is more forward sounding than the laid back HD555. Sound balance preference and comfort will be dependant on the individual.

The bass of the AD700 is not higher quality, nor is it faster.  It is not technically superior either, it just presents audio in a different way; you either like it or you don't.  It just sounds "faster" because it has less bass, therefore meaning you can hear more individual change in the bass.  Slow and wooly? please.. lol 

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #19 of 61
AD900 remains my most versatile headphone that I can use with any amp, source and sounds great.  It's also my exclusive headphone for gaming.

I would recommend the little brother AD700 as I have read many postings of people having similar experience as I do with my AD900.

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 61

Quote:
Did it occur to you that a lot of people, including me, like the AD700 more for music (don't just assume that they like them more due to gaming performance) than the HD555.

Like me. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #21 of 61

Quote:
The bass of the AD700 is not higher quality, nor is it faster.  It is not technically superior either, it just presents audio in a different way; you either like it or you don't.  It just sounds "faster" because it has less bass, therefore meaning you can hear more individual change in the bass.  Slow and wooly? please.. lol 

Fair enough. I still feel they are technically superior. I'm not saying the AD700 are the best phones for music in the pricerange (MS-1 and DT440 are superior) but they are more versatile (gaming, classical music) and comfy than anything else that I have tried while still being great for most music.

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerhawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw the poll, and after some studying and thinking I came to the conclusion as to why it was that way.  It basically goes back to the idea of the AD700s being "gaming" headphones, and therefore opinions are based on gaming and not so much music and movies, etc.  Really don't want to get into any of that again though.  There are just too many factors and opinions to say what is right, so I guess ultimately everything is still opinion. 

You gotta get over that Gaming argument dude. I understand that SOME people use them for gaming but that isn't anyones point here. The Poll was mainly based on people's opinion with music, this isn't a gaming based forum after all. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 61

Quote:

Equalizing it for more bass doesn't slow it down, so no.

Slow and wooly? I think you would know best, espceially with a 600 in your sig. I know for sure that is slow and wooly versus AD700.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 61

Quote:
You gotta get over that Gaming argument dude. I understand that SOME people use them for gaming but that isn't anyones point here. The Poll was mainly based on people's opinion with music, this isn't a gaming based forum after all. 

How do you know it was mainly based on people's opinion with music? Did you somehow look at the number of votes for AD700 and magically read the minds of the people that clicked it?  I never said that all people that liked the AD700 were basing it on gaming, just a good chunk probably are.  It is a fact, that the AD700 is a huge headphone amongst gamers, therefore, meaning it has to include more opinions for gaming than other headphones that aren't usually regarded as gaming headphones.  Surely you can follow me on this one? 

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 61

Quote:

Slow and wooly? I think you would know best, espceially with a 600 in your sig. I know for sure that is slow and wooly versus AD700.

The bass on the HD600 is far superior, in all aspects compared to the AD700s bass.  Just for the heck of it, the K702s bass is far superior to the AD700s bass also.  But again, even if your opinion is that the AD700 is the "best kept secret of the headphone world" and destroys all other headphones, even headphones costing three or four times as much, than that is just great for you isn't it?

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #26 of 61
Jun 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #27 of 61

Quote:

apsodkfjapsdofjapsdokfj. . .this "slow and wooly" crap is just that. . .crap.  The only way I except claims is by proof of evidence. . .care to share any?  Got some stats?  Got some tests that were performed to show the speed of the coils in the headphones?  If so. . .please do share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #28 of 61

Quote:
Do you want headphones for music or gaming?  If you want them for music, then the HD555 is the better choice.  If you look close enough, you actually find out the AD700 is mostly recommended over other headphones mainly based on "gaming", NOT as an overall headphone or for music.  You have to be careful about that.  I have a strong opinion about the AD700, based on actually trying it out and comparing it to other headphones, including the HD555s. 

You said this, did you not?......... Did I read their minds? No, but as this ISN'T a Gaming headphone based forum and rather an Audiophile based forum you have to use your brain and assume they were referring to music. If common sense isn't enough you could always just look at all the comments, gaming is only mentioned as an extra perk to the already great ad700. You're really just trying to hold on to whatever you can to keep this argument alive aren't you? Time to let go my friend. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #29 of 61
From another thread recent on this. . .

Quote:
Quote by PP312:

Personally I think the AD700 is a joke with music. I have no comment on its gaming ability, but this is Head-Fi, which suggests we're talking about music. When people make statements about the 700 blowing the 555 away and they mean on gaming they should be clear about that, because otherwise a lot of people are left scratching their heads. Many moons ago I bought a 700 based on all the hype and could not believe how bad they sounded---I mean, I just couldn't take them seriously at all, especially on classical music. Since then I've read numerous threads about how much better the 700 is over the 555 and wondered if I should get my ears checked. I'm still wondering, because those people were not talking about gaming but music. One poster even stated that the 595 is "just no good on music". Eh? Isn't this the phone that won the Hi-Fi Choice "Best Headphone Under £200" award? I appreciate that we all hear things differently, but surely not THAT differently, even given the vast difference in music choice.

Another post by PP312 in same thread:

I think part of the problem is that people fail to realize the meaning of Hi-Fi--"fidelity to the original". When I say the ad700 was a joke with music, I mean that it in no way resembled the sounds I hear in the concert hall, as the 555/595 do. The balance was completely different; there seems to have been no serious attempt at fidelity (they're way too bright for a start). Now people talk about "fun" phones, and the ad700 is often so classified, but I'm interested in accuracy; I judge phones solely on their success in recreating the impression of live music. So you may find the ad700 titillates, excites, makes you want to groove to the beat...whatever. It may be immensely enjoyable, and even be slightly more accurate or extended in certain defined areas. But if it's less accurate than the 555 overall, and it is--and I would gladly demonstrate that were it possible--then it isn't "better".

One thing I would certainly agree with you on--that the ad700 has characteristics which are the complete opposite of the 595!

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 61
And from that same thread mentioned earlier. . .here are quotes from people saying they are gaming headphones, but for other situations (music, movies, etc).

Quote:
"Lol, i thought we already established that neither the HD555 nor the AD700 are better than one another in a sense, except when referring to gaming, in which the AD700 are better by a longshot."
-dub Beatz

"This. I'm not referring to this just for AD700 vs. 555, but AD700 vs ANYTHING. To be honest, I HATE the AD700 for practically EVERYTHING. I do however swear by them for multiplayer gaming, for exactly the same reasons dub Beatz mentioned. The lack of bass HELPS tremendously in competetive gaming, and their exquisite positioning truly make them worthy hardcore gaming cans. People don't seem to understand on here that for competitive gaming, you want to focus on the little things, and not the entire picture. I have no doubt the 555s probably sound better overall. But for gaming exclusively, the AD700s focus on the most important things."
-Mad Lust Envy

"I was under the impression this thread was directed towards gaming, at which point I'm sure thousands would agree the AD700 exceed the HD555. Of course they lack bass. You don't need bass to tell where players are. Of course they produce distant sounds, they aren't immersive cans. These things are gritty and hardcore gaming friendly cans. Positioning is there, distance and sound stage is there, highs are pronounced for things like gunshots and footsteps to be heard easily, and bass is recessed so you can still hear the battlefield during explosions. In this case, speaking in terms of purely competitive gaming the AD700 is completely incredible, and in my opinion, dominates the HD555. I don't know if I ever once mentioned music... I don't like listening to music unless it's via one of my other higher end cans. Movies? AD700 are a joke for that category."
-dub Beatz

. . .this is why me and Tigerhawk say that most recommendations for the AD700's are based mostly on their "gaming" performance.  Usually people don't clarify they are talking about gaming, but simply say "the AD700's are better."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back