ACS T2: A Thorough Review
Oct 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #121 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by SenjStevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm irritated by the lack of information on the ACS website. I've had to email them about some really basic stuff such as sensitivity and impedence. I'm looking at the T3 now for a cheap custom option, Livewires looked good but worked out more expensive, if you take import tax, VAT and impressions(£50!) into consideration. The fact that ACS are in the UK is also a big positive and i can also go to the exact same place milkpowder went to get his impressions which makes me feel more comfortable.

But what are the T3s like? I can only find one review!

Hiya! That audiologist is expensive isn't it
ph34r.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #123 of 131
They were included in the price. I had my impressions done at House of Hearing. Email House of Hearing first and tell them exactly what you want. They will then contact ACS to sort out the details and then ask you to come in to have your impressions taken.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #125 of 131
Hi all. First post on Head-fi....to be honest I'm a bit overawed by the sheer depth of knowledge here! I've been following this thread with much interest since I googled "ACS T2" a few weeks ago (are you aware Milkpowder's awsome review is linked directly from the ACS website?)

I broke my EC5s a month ago (snapped off the tube that the sleeve fits onto). I've since fixed them with a dab of superglue, but too late, I'd already convinced myself that a new purchase was necessary.....I use the word purchase, however investment is closer to the mark (at least that's how I sold it to my wife!)

When I bought the Shure's I was tempted by customs then, so this is where I turned when the little fellas broke; hence arriving at Head-fi and this great community of experts.

Originally I was after the T2s, however reading all about the T1s gave me goosebumps so I decided to stump up the extra on these (as I say, investment is the word that keeps coming to mind :lol
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been really impressed by the EC5s so I'm hoping the T1s will be something special. I'll report back once they're in my ears.

My experience so far has been great....a bit like visiting a tailor for a bespoke suit. The audiologist I visited spent 2 hours with me explaining everything i could possible need explaining. He even did two sets of impressions as he wanted to provide ACS with a deep impression and a extra deep one to choose from!.......can't wait to try the finished article.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #126 of 131
6 months later...my impressions are mixed:

Positives:
Overall the whole procedure was very smooth, getting impressions done etc... was a breeze. Don't be put off by this.
They are not comfortable, but they are more comfortable then my Senns and Mylars canals. Comfort levels can really vary from day to day. Isolation is very good as you would expect. Detail is good.

Negatives:
These phone are a little bass light. Not a huge problem for me, but takes some of the fun away, making music seem a little clinical sometimes.
Cost was £240, too much for me to justify, but they do satisfy my needs almost completely, in the portable music department.

I have used them a lot in university for their isolation and they help me study in noisy places. I use them out and about and on the bus sometimes too, but they can make me extremely unaware of what is going on around me. Now i've got a car, and am leaving uni i'll probably use them less. Overall i wouldn't buy them again, but i'm glad i've experienced customs. In my opinion they are not perfect, or worth the money, but a nice luxury to have.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #127 of 131
Proper review, thanks.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #128 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by SenjStevo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6 months later...my impressions are mixed:

Positives:
Overall the whole procedure was very smooth, getting impressions done etc... was a breeze. Don't be put off by this.
They are not comfortable, but they are more comfortable then my Senns and Mylars canals. Comfort levels can really vary from day to day. Isolation is very good as you would expect. Detail is good.

Negatives:
These phone are a little bass light. Not a huge problem for me, but takes some of the fun away, making music seem a little clinical sometimes.
Cost was £240, too much for me to justify, but they do satisfy my needs almost completely, in the portable music department.

I have used them a lot in university for their isolation and they help me study in noisy places. I use them out and about and on the bus sometimes too, but they can make me extremely unaware of what is going on around me. Now i've got a car, and am leaving uni i'll probably use them less. Overall i wouldn't buy them again, but i'm glad i've experienced customs. In my opinion they are not perfect, or worth the money, but a nice luxury to have.

Is this the T3 you are referring to?

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #129 of 131
Hopefully nobody will mind this bump, but I can see that the few posters above me have got away with this.  Just thought that I'd chip in with my bit since I just got my ACS T3s today, after a turnaround time of three weeks.  I'd like to thank milkpowder for the astoundingly detailed review/consumer anecdote as this not only gave me a good insight into the audiologist procedure, but also what to expect from ACS' earphones.  FWIW, I had my impressions taken at the Hearing Care Centre on the edge of Ponteland, but while the silicone was setting I was allowed to talk.  On the spot, I didn't really think of keeping my mouth open, but hopefully the constant jaw movement from my lapse into being talkative distributed the silicone well enough for good impressions.

Having moved onto these from bottom-rung, OEM Sennheiser CX-300s (plus CX400s which are still on loan from my uncle--these are the only in-ear phones that I've ever owned until now), I was pretty taken aback by their clarity and detail when I gave them a proper listen at home.  If I can say one thing with confidence, it's that most certainly do not miss the gigantic midbass hump found in Sennheiser's cheaper buds, so while the flatter bass is something of a sea change, it's pretty enjoyable to be able to properly hear the mix of an entire track.  It's definitely not lacking.

After wondering if I'd find the superior mid and high frequencies to be a bit grating at first, they are, to me, as smooth and refined as everybody in this thread has claimed.  As the T3s have the one driver, there's clearly not a booming bass, but at the same time it still sounds very present when there's a proper seal.  None of the frequencies stand out too much; I can hear a bit of everything in hitherto unheard of detail.  Listening to Santana's 'Black Magic Woman', I instantly noticed a shimmering cymbal drone that I had never noticed before.  It goes without saying and has been said time and time again, but it's these extra details which turn music listening into an enjoyable rediscovery.

My only problem thus far is that, as I've only owned the earphones for about five hours, the silicone hasn't had much time to loosen up.  According to the HCC administrator, given time the silicone will seal more effectively as it loses its elasticity.  Right now, I can push the earphones so that they seal perfectly, but they will spring back slightly (while still isolating extremely well).  Having said that, I'm still enjoying the sound a lot even if it is currently a bit compromised.  In fact, I got used to inserting and reinserting the phones pretty quickly, with the lube not being as essential as I thought it would be.  I'd chalk this up to my ear canals being very small and flat, creating a pretty guided slot mechanism.  Basically, I can get a very good seal, but it isn't perfect.  Should I need to, I'll remember to keep my mouth opened for the remould.

Accessory-wise, I think that the earphones look pretty nice in the blue/red colouring that I opted for.  Since I'm a stage musician, this would be a very useful feature for me should I be rushed onto a stage in front of a crowd of overly insistent posh people.  I stuck with the translucent white cable, which looks nice and sturdy and certainly shouldn't cause me any problems in any circumstance.  The plug also looks like it won't ever screw up on me, which particularly pleases me.

Overall, I'm very pleased thus far with my first pair of decent earphones.  Price-wise, they're a pair of ER-4Ps with ACS custom tips, so I can't really complain.  From what I've heard, they use the same drivers as/very similar drivers to the Etys anyway, so they seem to be the same thing in a smaller and lighter package, which is all that I can ask for when I'm using these for stage monitoring.  Hopefully, I can get a better permanent seal with these things as I wear them more, and if that happens then I wouldn't envision myself worrying about earphones for another few years (by then I'd probably need a reshell anyway).

Hopefully, this post will be useful to anybody who was in the same situation as me in a general sense of wanting to make the jump from cheap audio equipment--I had to dig around a bit to find anything even remotely close to information about these T3s, so I certainly appreciate every last scrap of information that can be found on these things.  As a less expensive option for musicians looking for a better monitoring solution, or just anybody else who, like me, is new to custom monitoring and high-end audio in general, I'd definitely recommend T3s, so long as the customer can be sure of getting good impressions and will actually have a proper application for customs to warrant the price.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #131 of 131
Bumping this absolute gem of a review for a general question to you handsome owners of this IEM. How do they fend with spoken word? Isolation, given that you get a good fit, seems to be regarded as absolutely ace, so that in itself is a huge plus. Is the quality of the spoken word in question very important? As in; would a suboptimal recording be "uncomfortable" to listen to? (Compared to a standard 50$ uni-plug being used to now.) 

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back