ACS T2: A Thorough Review
Sep 12, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #61 of 131
Favorite review of an IEM so far.

I like the picture of the IEM in your ear.

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #63 of 131
Hi again. A small update this time. I decided to update my stock iPod to iMod (Vinnie/RWA) and the package just arrived an hour ago. I must honestly say, that the results with Tomahawk is just amazing. When I thought my iPod/T2 setup cannot be better, yet the result is simply stunning... even more refined music.

The compelete setup is iMod 5.5G 80 GB -> ALO Super Cotton -> RSA Tomahawk -> T2. The most obvious differences after less than an hour are... tighter more precise bass... it can play bit lower, but has more texture and is better controlled I believe... wrt to midrange overall impression is in direction of bit more details and I could say... some clearness or transparency... has something to do with the soundstage as it goes wider both in right/left direction and front/back... the soundstage difference is even more obvious when listening to binaural recordings, ie. "When a man loves a woman" from Stax Test CD... the signer is walking here and there while singing and you can precisely locate him as he is walking around during performance. And his location in space in even more obvious and precise than before. As for highs... hard to say for me anything at this point about nitty gritty details... but the overall impressions is that the highs are bit sharper, clearer, yet I don't hear any harshness or sibilance. I lack words to describe this... my poor english... but it is something the way that attack and decays are very natural, but the middle part of the sound is more precise, better painted than before... less fuzzy. The whole mix is very clear and detailed, yet blends together very nice. To be honest, the differences seems very subtle when going up, very obvious when you switch to the old setup. This setup makes iPod bit brigther, less lower midrange orientated...

I would be courious to give some "colder" amp a try in this setup... PRII MK2 perhaps... which is told to be rather on cold/analytical side... and see/hear the difference.

And I am to get Rio Karma within a week (package on the way), so I might be able to post iMod / Karma comparisions here...

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #64 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by kichu1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi again. A small update this time. I decided to update my stock iPod to iMod (Vinnie/RWA) and the package just arrived an hour ago. I must honestly say, that the results with Tomahawk is just amazing. When I thought my iPod/T2 setup cannot be better, yet the result is simply stunning... even more refined music.

The compelete setup is iMod 5.5G 80 GB -> ALO Super Cotton -> RSA Tomahawk -> T2. The most obvious differences after less than an hour are... tighter more precise bass... it can play bit lower, but has more texture and is better controlled I believe... wrt to midrange overall impression is in direction of bit more details and I could say... some clearness or transparency... has something to do with the soundstage as it goes wider both in right/left direction and front/back... the soundstage difference is even more obvious when listening to binaural recordings, ie. "When a man loves a woman" from Stax Test CD... the signer is walking here and there while singing and you can precisely locate him as he is walking around during performance. And his location in space in even more obvious and precise than before. As for highs... hard to say for me anything at this point about nitty gritty details... but the overall impressions is that the highs are bit sharper, clearer, yet I don't hear any harshness or sibilance. I lack words to describe this... my poor english... but it is something the way that attack and decays are very natural, but the middle part of the sound is more precise, better painted than before... less fuzzy. The whole mix is very clear and detailed, yet blends together very nice. To be honest, the differences seems very subtle when going up, very obvious when you switch to the old setup. This setup makes iPod bit brigther, less lower midrange orientated...

Superb impressions. I think the improvements you spoke about really elevate the T2 to even higher levels. More details in the midrange, tighter, precise bass and greater transparency is basically what I want from my T2 and it seems the iMod/Tomahawk combo really works wonders.

I'm wary about sending my iPod overseas for modification and never trusted the flimsy hard drives (have had multiple 4G iPods fail on me before). Do you think it is the iMod which is contributing (the most) to the improvement in sound?

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #65 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wary about sending my iPod overseas for modification and never trusted the flimsy hard drives (have had multiple 4G iPods fail on me before). Do you think it is the iMod which is contributing (the most) to the improvement in sound?

I think so, the difference was not that obvious when I was listening to standard iPod & Tomahawk combo. Having reread all your opinions and preferences I think you might like the iMod/RSA setup, because the T2 seems to be even more refined here.

If you are not sure, then perhaps you could just get used Tomahawk through the forum and see if you like standard iPod lineout -> Tomahawk -> T2 combo. You would have at least some sort of reference point then... and you should have no major problems selling the amp if you won't like it, I believe.

I would still be interested in trying a colder sounding/more analytical amp with this setup, not because this one sound bad, but just to see how much difference the amp can make.

Also YHPM
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #66 of 131
Quote:

I think so, the difference was not that obvious when I was listening to standard iPod & Tomahawk combo. Having reread all your opinions and preferences I think you might like the iMod/RSA setup, because the T2 seems to be even more refined here.

If you are not sure, then perhaps you could just get used Tomahawk through the forum and see if you like standard iPod lineout -> Tomahawk -> T2 combo. You would have at least some sort of reference point then... and you should have no major problems selling the amp if you won't like it, I believe.

On the other hand I can see you own also a stationary equipment... so question is wether it's worth sacrificing portability. I sold all my home equipment, so for me this iMod is 2 in 1... amp combo at home, headphone out on the move. What can I say... decisions... decisions
smily_headphones1.gif

I would still be interested in trying a colder sounding/more analytical amp with this setup, not because this one sound bad, but just to see how much difference the amp can make.

I will post some more impressions in a week or two... I will get used to the new sound, also the Karma arrives in the meantime (got brand new refurbished - new battery and hdd - for around 100$ - a bargain
smily_headphones1.gif

Also YHPM
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #67 of 131
Good advice. I'm thinking on the same lines too. The colder the amp, the better it will be for the T2. IMHO, the T2 leans towards the warm and intimate side.

The Tomahawk is good, but I'm waiting for the Pico since it's looks to be the next great portable DAC/Amp, some even saying it rivals the venerable Apogee MiniDAC
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #68 of 131
Quote:

Good advice. I'm thinking on the same lines too. The colder the amp, the better it will be for the T2. IMHO, the T2 leans towards the warm and intimate side.

Funny thing is that my new setup seems to be a step in the opposite (rather neutral) direction comparing to stock headphone out. This feature is even more obvious after few more hours of listening. Listening to Shirley Horn's "Here's to Life" now (sort jazz ballads with orchestra arragnement). Stock headphone seems to be just as you say, intimate, this one is going more the other way. Still intimate, but not as warm as headphone out. Btw, good thing about 5.5G
iMod is that you have old player on your hearphone out, and new one on line out
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like the question with this setup would "how much cold is enough" and "how much cold amp can give" here.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #69 of 131
MilkPowder,

Just wanted to say thanks for the review.

I've been in contact with andy all day, and he has been extreamly helpful, along with you review and his help, I've decided to take the plunge.

Hopefully the T2's should go well with the itouch which is on preorder.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #70 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in contact with andy all day, and he has been extreamly helpful, along with you review and his help, I've decided to take the plunge.

Welcome to the club
smily_headphones1.gif
We will be looking forward to reading your impressions. And by the way, milkpowder shoud get a share from ACS for every head-fi order... you are not the only one tempted by his review
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #71 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MilkPowder,

Just wanted to say thanks for the review.

Hopefully the T2's should go well with the itouch which is on preorder.

Congrats! Andy is brilliant. Did you go for the glitter?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back