ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Feb 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #76 of 1,234
I can imagine they sound good with any style of music, just be aware of the "flat signature". To be honest the best advice I can give is to listen to them with a variety of music. The folks at ACS are very helpful and you can arrange a time to go and try all of their products. Also there are resellers that give the option to listen before you buy, for example http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk 

I admit I did not do that, but I listened to quite a few headphones at the trade show in London. The thing with headphones is there is no optimum. There isn't. It is always a compromise of several aspects: Bright sound, airy sound, natural sound, laid back or aggressive cymbals every where. Depends on the recording and music style, and the ears and taste who mixed the recording and then mastered it. And to make it more complex, our ears (and our internal circuity, our brain interpreting the signals) has different moods and forms as well. sometimes we like cymbals, sometimes mids. 

I guess it is as with any enthusiasm, be it photography or hi-fi or motorcycles (all three are my passions): It is a journey, and not a destination :)

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #77 of 1,234
  I had a busy afternoon so no real chance to listen to those until now. The fit and comfort is great. Strangely, I find it quite difficult to describe its sounds as to my ears it just sounds right and balanced. More of a smooth operator than a detail monster but I don't feel like anything is missing from the music compared to my Fostex TH900.
This CIEM doesn't seem to have a specific character that sticks out. It is just beautifully tuned with fantastic bass and mids and a gentle treble that managed to control sibilance in a tasteful manner -that could a plus or minus depending on people.
Soundstage isn't particularly deep or wide but well proportioned with very good imaging.
To my surprise it is quite similar to my SE846 with blue filter. A little less warm with less extended bass but slightly more controlled and tight with solid mid bass punch. Mids are a little less forward but equally good, smooth and detailed. Treble presentation is very similar to the Shure, maybe a tiny bit less detailed.
It still early days, but so far I can't fault this CIEM: really enjoyable tuning and top sound for a very reasonable price.

I also have the Fostex TH900 and SE846 (+ AK120 and Chord Hugo), and I love those, so maybe we have the same taste in SQ? I also have ACS T1 customs.  In my opinion the SE846 are in a whole different league than ACS T1. Much better all over, except microphonics in the cable. But then I red about the Encore, and it sparked my interest. (And it has an interesting cable as well.) SE846s aint´customs and I´d like a set of customs that is as good or better than my SE846. Higher impedance is also welcome, since my SE846 has a slight hissing sound when playing from my Hugo. (Which annoys me a bit)

I see that you have written a brief comparison between Encore and SE846. Thanks. If you didn´t own either, and had to choose one of those. Which would it be?

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #78 of 1,234
Well, I just made an appointment for auditioning them at ACS in New York City. They receive the Encore's until next week, so I will go on Tuesday with a selected handful of my music. In the meantime please dont stop discussing them! Thanks.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #79 of 1,234
I am assuming they eventually will release the universal version now my question to those who got their ciem is how similar are they? Thanks

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #80 of 1,234

I also have the Fostex TH900 and SE846 (+ AK120 and Chord Hugo), and I love those, so maybe we have the same taste in SQ? I also have ACS T1 customs.  In my opinion the SE846 are in a whole different league than ACS T1. Much better all over, except microphonics in the cable. But then I red about the Encore, and it sparked my interest. (And it has an interesting cable as well.) SE846s aint´customs and I´d like a set of customs that is as good or better than my SE846. Higher impedance is also welcome, since my SE846 has a slight hissing sound when playing from my Hugo. (Which annoys me a bit)

I see that you have written a brief comparison between Encore and SE846. Thanks. If you didn´t own either, and had to choose one of those. Which would it be?

That's too early to say but the Encore is technically on the same level of the SE846 with many similarities FR wise, which is high praise as I prefer the Shure to the many custom demos I tried, including the K10.
Considering the Encore is a full custom and is cheaper than the Shure in the UK, I think ACS has a winner here.
It is true that the high impedance/sensitivity design also gives it an advantage over the Shure's ultra low Z when pairing with DAP is concerned.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #81 of 1,234
I've contacted ACS France, they are able to product them until now despite the new range of ACS products doesn't appear on their website. The Encore cost 996€ so little less than when English price is converted.

I'm still hesitating after wanting the SE5-way and the BD4.2 which are both totl. I'm mainly interested in musicality, when energy is conveyed, so I'm looking for a very natural CIEM which can give me the desire to foot-tap, to sing, to smile.  I want to be involved in my listening as I'm with my EM32. It's not a question of impact, particularly in the bass region, to me it's the perfect imbrication of the different frequency ranges and the presentation. Is someone able to tell us how musical are the Encore ? Has someone compared them with any other totl CIEM ? SE5-way or H8pro for example. 

Thanks

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #82 of 1,234

That's too early to say but the Encore is technically on the same level of the SE846 with many similarities FR wise, which is high praise as I prefer the Shure to the many custom demos I tried, including the K10.
Considering the Encore is a full custom and is cheaper than the Shure in the UK, I think ACS has a winner here.
It is true that the high impedance/sensitivity design also gives it an advantage over the Shure's ultra low Z when pairing with DAP is concerned.

Are you saying the Encore and the SE846 have similar bass response? I am interested if they do.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #83 of 1,234
Are you saying the Encore and the SE846 have similar bass response? I am interested if they do.

That sounds amazing. Can't wait to get my set.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #85 of 1,234
SE846 was a very good iem,bass to note mainly,But to be compared to Noble K10 is a blasphemy.They are not in the same league,i will be disappointed if Encore can't beat Shure's(bass slam except).
The reason i ordered them is coz i thought they were that good with their 5 drivers,maybe still not better than K10 (will compare today when i get Encore),but providing the Roxanne family didn't come close to dethrone Noble i was very impressed with Acs effort this time.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #86 of 1,234
SE846 was a very good iem,bass to note mainly,But to be compared to Noble K10 is a blasphemy.They are not in the same league,i will be disappointed if Encore can't beat Shure's(bass slam except).
The reason i ordered them is coz i thought they were that good with their 5 drivers,maybe still not better than K10 (will compare today when i get Encore),but providing the Roxanne family didn't come close to dethrone Noble i was very impressed with Acs effort this time.

I will too. I liked the SE846 but found it lacking in treble even using the white filter. I'd have thought the K10 was in a different class completely.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #87 of 1,234
I am ready to accept that the Custom K10 version might well sound better than the demo but I bought my Shure 846 after comparing it to the K10 demo and to those ears it was an easy decision. I will admit it was only a 30mn shop demo but didn't really pick up any particular thing the K10 was doing better. In fact I thought the K10 was very good, just a tiny bit bland...
...that's heresy for you?..
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #88 of 1,234
I am ready to accept that the Custom K10 version might well sound better than the demo but I bought my Shure 846 after comparing it to the K10 demo and to those ears it was an easy decision. I will admit it was only a 30mn shop demo but didn't really pick up any particular thing the K10 was doing better. In fact I thought the K10 was very good, just a tiny bit bland...
...that's heresy for you?..:evil:  

You will learn better☺️..thats why we're all here..

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #89 of 1,234
Feb 11, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #90 of 1,234
Teach me... I am here to learn.
wink.gif

Still I am surprised why people who already own the bee's knees uber king of the CIEM world would even consider the Encore or any other CIEM for that matter...
confused.gif

PS: Just check your profile Sandblast75 and I think I understand. PM me if you feel the need to talk to someone. 
biggrin.gif

Anyway very interested in hearing your views and others on the Encore when you get them and comparisons to your numerous others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back