ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #706 of 1,234
You should have got the Revio or 'Dry and Store' with your Encores. Don't buy one. DEMAND one.

Really? Did people get them as part of the order? I got a bullet proof case from them, and the lubricant, and the wax cleaning tool, and, over the time that I shipped it back and forth to them for various issues, some soft cases. But on Revivo or Dry and Store. Never even mentioned to me it was good to get. I actually just emailed AJ in NY, who's been very nice to deal with and asked about all this stuff. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #707 of 1,234
Do, anyone curious what AJ had to say? He said these dehumidifiers are basically assumed at musicians, who, in the intensity of a gig, hot lights, etc, can sweat quite a bit, and this can damage the inner components of the Encores. For my use (around the house, falling asleep), didn't feel it was necessary unless I'm a particularly heavy sweater. FYI

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #708 of 1,234
Do, anyone curious what AJ had to say? He said these dehumidifiers are basically assumed at musicians, who, in the intensity of a gig, hot lights, etc, can sweat quite a bit, and this can damage the inner components of the Encores. For my use (around the house, falling asleep), didn't feel it was necessary unless I'm a particularly heavy sweater. FYI

To err on the side of caution, even if you don't dry them out on a constant basis it would make sense to do it every few months at least as moisture will build up over time. This is from experience where my T1's right driver failed(kindly replaced by ACS and also given a dehudifying pouch with the replacement) about a year or so after light to moderate use. Obviously musicians will have a much more accelerated potential failure but that doesn't mean yours won't. Otherwise ACS wouldn't have come up with these preventative measures and push it to consumers. They are offered with both live and studio encores I believe

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #709 of 1,234
You could be right, but my dealings with acs in Manhattan didn't lead me to believe they are pushing them...in fact, AJ was willing to sell me one if I wanted one, but pretty much said I didn't need one. Sure, it won't HURT to have one, I suppose, and they're not a fortune of money (especially compared to the cost of the Encores).

Here's the email-
[COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]Hi Jack,

Glad you are satisfied!

The Revivo is a dehumidifying case, much like the Dry and Store Global II. We have both units in stock at our NY location, however, the Revivo isn’t listed on our website because we plan to revamp it soon. The Revivo is an ACS-made product that is meant to absorb the moisture that could develop within the sound channels and inner components if the user sweats while using the IEMS. Most people who use the Revivo are using the IEMs during live performances each night. For someone like you, who is just listening to them before bed, I do not think the Revivo is necessary.

If you find yourself sweating while using the IEMs or just want to take extra precaution, I’d recommend it for sure. They retail at $54.99 plus shipping.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

To err on the side of caution, even if you don't dry them out on a constant basis it would make sense to do it every few months at least as moisture will build up over time. This is from experience where my T1's right driver failed(kindly replaced by ACS and also given a dehudifying pouch with the replacement) about a year or so after light to moderate use. Obviously musicians will have a much more accelerated potential failure but that doesn't mean yours won't. Otherwise ACS wouldn't have come up with these preventative measures and push it to consumers. They are offered with both live and studio encores I believe[/quote]

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #711 of 1,234
Just want to talk about my experience a little bit, because it's been terrible to be honest.

I sold all my good universal IEMs after ordering the Encore. First mistake! They took longer to arrive than I was told it would. That was in May. One of the main reasons for choosing Encore over, say, K10, was the quick turnaround time but... Read on.

More importantly, I got my Encore back recently and I think, finally, everything is okay. That's 4 months after sending in impressions (work next day delivery!). In that time I was only able to use them for about 20 hours and they were always either being repaired or pending repair. They don't seem to care about this at all--even an acknowledgement and apology would have been nice.

The first time the sockets were too recessed (inaccessible) and then one unit failed within a couple of weeks.

The second time, the little white wax guards in the sound tubes were displaced and seemed to block the sound tubes. Had to pay to send them back.

The third time I found some other stray little filter like part in a sound tube and had a small fit issue with one unit. And a sound tube/bore wasn't fully open like the others.

Altogether that's 4 months, and I'm in the UK, where they're headquartered. Each repair took 2 or 3 weeks and I also had to wait to schedule appointments. That's a third of the warranty period gone before I'm even using them!

By any standard, this is terrible. For the price point, it's very bad. Compared to what I read about Westone treating someone with multiple problems on a comparable model (sent him a universal W50 to keep), it's even worse.

The people at ACS are nice to deal with, especially before you buy. However, their post-repair communication is basically non-existent. I always got mine back with a note that said warranty repair but no other details.

The sound in general is really good at times but very badly suited to some genres. Low frequencies sound distorted at times and highs in some genres lack airiness. Soundstage is average. In short, female voice and classical can be very bad. But they're fantastic with harsher music, like metal.

Build quality is very poor in my experience, obviously.

Fit is good and isolation is good too. I'm not sure if silicone is actually better at isolation than acrylic, but it seems more comfortable.

The Revivo is a great idea but it has an annoying beeping low battery warning that has woken me up in the middle of the night a couple of times. The only way to turn it off is by opening it, but that exposes the desiccant.

The cable has pros and cons. It's wonderfully low profile, but it's very bad with its memory retention and tangles easily if not carefully stored.

I hardly need to say that overall, it's probably the worst personal audio related experience I've had, and given the price point, it's very disappointing.

Oct 2, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #712 of 1,234
I really like the way they sound, but I had similar quality issues. Had to send them back to acs a number of times for fit issues, then malfunctioning units. The Manhattan office was very good about it, though, I have been pleased with them (as pleased as you can be when nothing seems to be going right). I do really like the sound of my pair, finally, but I suspect the easy they're made, must be a lot of unit to unit variability. Personally, don't like the cable at all, tangles when you look at it funny (and I think the sockets are too deep as well, but I managed to get them out and put a replacement balanced cable in). I haven't checked on other custom experiences much, but my impression (no pun intended) is that it can be hit or miss.

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #713 of 1,234
Many problems too, 4 months after my purchase I can endly use them. Now I'm looking for the SE5 Ult for the reasons Aeneas mentioned

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #715 of 1,234
Having second thoughts myself...The more I use them, the more I feel they are rolled off on top. Nice bass, nice mids, but cymbals and other high frequency stuff seems mia. Have to listen and compare a bit more, but I may be contacting acs again if my impression holds. Makes for few Maria, but at the cost of missing out on some of the sound. More listening needed...

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #716 of 1,234
Oct 5, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #717 of 1,234
I am sorry to hear that we are all having so much trouble with our units. I've been sent mine back and will collect them shortly. As for the sound quality , that should be the least of the problems. The Encores should sound great as far as the pinnacle of iems can go. Experimentation with boosting or reducing various undesirable peaks or troughs in the range would surely achieve favourable results?
Unless the monitors are defective that is. It often seems counter productive but I have a set of IE800s that I have finally found a decent fitting set of tips for. Up to the ACS they were the best sounding iems I'd ever heard, including the nobles. I'll do a comparison as unbiased as I can. If it's any consolation, I've had custom sleeves from Snugs on order for ages and they have made a hash of the order and the build of both sets. Amateur is not the word to describe my experience with them so far.

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #718 of 1,234

balanced cables have arrived! :)

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #720 of 1,234
I removed the balanced cables, went back to the single ended for my Pono. Better, still think highs are rolled off, though. May not be the balanced cable, though, Pono needs a special adapter to use the Linum cable, I'm guessing the problem was there. Going to listen a bit more (really is enjoyable, until I start listening for cymbals in jazz...), then, if I'm convinced, time to contact acs (...again :xf_eek: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back