ACS Custom molding in NYC and little known facts about ACS with Etymotic
Aug 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Alucard77

New Head-Fier
Hey All,

I just went for my ACS custom molding for my Etymotic Mc5s.  The fitting was actually very easy.  You do nothing but sit there.  That is not why I am posting here.

I am in fact posting to rave about the audiologistic that did my fittings.  If you are in the NY area, you must use:

Audio Help Hearing Centers
Craig A. Kasper
212-774-1971

He works primilarily on Wednesday's even though his receptionists will also let you know his assistants can do the mold on other days.  Since the mold is everything, I recommend using him and not his assistant.

Here are a couple of quick reasons for using him, that I got from the conversation I had with him:
- He works directly with Etymotic and is responsible for bringing the ACS custom molds to the states
- He works with other Audiologistics with the Etymotic program to educate them on the molding process and how critical it is to the whole proccess and how to do them correctly
- He works primarily with Musicians and has been doing custom molds for 12+ years
- He was familar with the exact mold I was looking to do.  He said he would handle this for me, in case their was any confusion on the ACS end
    - Full molds (I forgot what he called it, I think the "Pinna Mold")
    - Over the ear design

Now here is something I learned during our conversation that I did not know before.  The reason that Etymotic chose ACS for the custom mold program is because etymotic, through their testing, identified that ACS had the most realistic sound out of the other companies who they tested.

Seeing how Etymotic is very specific about their sound.  This made a lot of sense.  Up to that point I was debating on whether or not I should have some other company do this other then ACS.  Knowing I like the Etymotic sound and the company as well, I knew I had to go with ACS as it should reproduce the sound Etymotic is looking to replicate.  At the time, I wanted to make sure that the Audiologist was not just trying to sell ACS.  He really wasn't.  He mentioned that if I didn't want to do ACS, he could send the molds to any other company of my chosing.

I will follow up in a couple of weeks and let you guys know how well the molds fit.  I can't wait.  The Audiologist also mentioned that I can come back in if I like and he will work with me on my first test drive of the products.  I doubt I will need the help getting them in my ear, but it is nice to know that he offers this.

At least if I have any problems with the fit I can go directly to the audiologistic and he will review the fit with me for free.  That is a nice touch.  I will report back.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 84
As someone who is jonesing for some ACS T1's without being able to try them, the comment about the moulds is reassuring. Shigzeo has commented on how the silicone moulds create a subtle difference in sound compared to the acrylic used by JH, UE e.t.c. It's in his T1 thread.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 84
I don't know how the ACS' sound with other earphones.  The mix with the Ety and the ACS, it is supposed to give the sound Ety wants.  Not sure how it will sound with Shures and so on.

Also, the audiologist was saying that ACS uses the softest Medical grade silicone on the market, which is confortable, but can also effect the sound.  This is the benifit to the Ety, may not be for other brands.

So just additional food for thought.

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 84
That's only if you use ACS however. They are a pretty cheap way to get custom molds however. If i had multiple universals with that nozzle that would be something to consider.

The guy I went to in NYC is a JHA dealer and previously or maybe still UE dealer and has experience with it as well. There really wouldn't be an advantage for someone like me to go to someone else unless it was much cheaper.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 84
Thank you for this original post. I've found that there aren't enough threads comparing custom sleeves manufacturers (or I have failed to find them on this forum). If it isn't too much of an nuisance, would you mind telling how much the audiologist charged you? Thanks in advance

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 84
Wait, is this a full on reshell or is this custom tips we are talking about?

If it was a reshell, I know for certain who I'd go to right away. I am thinking of getting some reshells, but the only thing stopping me is that I don't really trust my IEMs in Fisher's hands, as they are the DBA-02 which nobody has reshelled yet, and I don't want to wait forever to get them done in China. ACS seems like a happy medium, and as an added bonus, they're silicone. I don't really want just custom tips though, as that would not work in my ears - I get an excellent fit without them, with them they would stick out more as the DBA inserts somewhat deep.

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 84
Talking custom sleeves via ACS for Etys (it's available via Ety). I would be interested in reshelling the DBAs too, but it seems a bit risky. I had hard acrylic done with my TF10s at Fisher and they came out very nice. My only issue was I used an old pair of custom sleeves (scanned by Fisher) and the sound tubes were not long enough. Oh well.

But for the Etys, we are talking sleeves only.

Quote:
Wait, is this a full on reshell or is this custom tips we are talking about?

If it was a reshell, I know for certain who I'd go to right away. I am thinking of getting some reshells, but the only thing stopping me is that I don't really trust my IEMs in Fisher's hands, as they are the DBA-02 which nobody has reshelled yet, and I don't want to wait forever to get them done in China. ACS seems like a happy medium, and as an added bonus, they're silicone. I don't really want just custom tips though, as that would not work in my ears - I get an excellent fit without them, with them they would stick out more as the DBA inserts somewhat deep.

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 84

Quote:
Talking custom sleeves via ACS for Etys (it's available via Ety). I would be interested in reshelling the DBAs too, but it seems a bit risky. I had hard acrylic done with my TF10s at Fisher and they came out very nice. My only issue was I used an old pair of custom sleeves (scanned by Fisher) and the sound tubes were not long enough. Oh well.

But for the Etys, we are talking sleeves only.

Ah, figured so but it was never specified otherwise, so I just had to ask in case something like that had been overlooked this whole time.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 84
Yup, sorry I did not specify.  It is custom tips only.  Not even sure how they would reshell the Mc5s.  Getting "full bodied" tips though.  I will post pics when they come in.

Also, I feel that tips are better in the long run anyway.  In 2 years when these iems break, I will get a replacement set.  Getting that reshelled would be at least another $100.  So not worth it to me.  My Ety IEMS always break every 2 years regardless how good I take care of them.  At least with the 6is.

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 84
popcorn.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 84
so..wait...i just bring the etymotic iems that i want custom tipped to him, he makes the impressions...and then what, are the customs actually done at the office or would i have to wait a couple days for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back