acrylic vs silicon housing for custom iem?
Feb 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 78
average joe, I thought the EM3 was silicone?

I would like to try out a silicone custom one day since I do like greater isolation when I'm out and about since in quiet passages some noise does still get in...maybe one day :)

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 78

Quote:
average joe, I thought the EM3 was silicone?

I would like to try out a silicone custom one day since I do like greater isolation when I'm out and about since in quiet passages some noise does still get in...maybe one day :)

Check here: "Built from hard acrylic..."

They are not shells, they are solid!

And I too want to try some silicone customs soon...

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 78
I'd ask 1964 Ears about their silicone customs. They should know their products best.

I think one day but nothing really interests me that has silicone. I think Westone is closest but it's not full silicone unless I;m mistaken so probably won't be the full effect?

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #21 of 78
First post! My question is, can you get a used custom IEM remoilded in silicon instead of acrylic? Secondly, are there any custom makers besides Livewires that allow you to were the cords straight down, instead of behind the ear. I think the pics posted on the Kozee site looked like they were. Thanks in advance. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 78
Jack, I'm hoping you can answer this. Is it the case that silicone customs have a slightly more involved insertion process, requiring the use of a lubricant? And if that's the case, in a pinch will other more common lubricants work? Eg. water, or even saliva?

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #26 of 78
Silicone earpieces kind of cling to the ear canal and, properly fitted, are a bit tighter than most acrylics. Going past the 2nd bend in the ear canal does, for some people, make them more difficult to fully insert. Yes, some use a lubricant to aid in insertion, but personally, I've never needed to. The fact that silicone is very pliable allows one to do a full insertion, but it's kind of a leap of faith the first time you do it.

I strongly recommend working through an audiologist and going in for a fitting when you receive your custom earphones.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 78
Thanks Jack for your answers on the previous page
etysmile.gif

I'm a pretty big fan of silicone because of the incredible seal, but it just annoyed me how my tips changed color and kinda looked gross =_= bummed me out a bit
But the fit/seal is like non-other beats acrylic, shure olives, comply foams, and the rubbers hands down in my experiences.
I wish the OP good luck

Cheers

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #28 of 78
The Westone IEM use an acrylic shell with vinyl head sensitive tips for the ear canal portion.  The AC2 is all acrylic only, but the other models can have the vinyl tips.  They don't use silicone except with the UM56 tips which you can get in vinyl or silicone.  I've had both with the UM56 and the silicone are more comfortable after the initial insertion, but after a while the vinyl soften up a little and become almost as comfortable.

I find the Westone ES3X and ES5 to be more comfortable for longer than 2-3 hours of listening or for falling asleep wearing them, and the isolation seems slightly better than with my JH13Pro or UE11Pro and such.  It's not a huge difference, but it's there.  

The ES3X and ES5 do seem more comfortable than the vinyl UM56 tips, and about as comfortable as the silicone UM56, making me wonder if the UM56 uses a harder vinyl than the customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back