acrylic vs silicon housing for custom iem?
Feb 5, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #31 of 78
Thanks for the reply Larry. I heard from 1964 ears. I want their quad iem but with this one they can only do the tips in silicone, the main housing would be acrylic. I wonder if this would still offer improved comfort and isolation. I guess it would though since the tip would be the part that would be in the ear canal itself. Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #32 of 78

Thanks for the reply Larry. I heard from 1964 ears. I want their quad iem but with this one they can only do the tips in silicone, the main housing would be acrylic. I wonder if this would still offer improved comfort and isolation. I guess it would though since the tip would be the part that would be in the ear canal itself. Greetings, Anouk,

Can't help you there, sorry.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #34 of 78
IMHO, silicone is a superior material for this application, no question. It's not even close.

Caveat: I'm not familiar with this particular product.

As to whether it's worth $100, that's a personal choice. But people pay that much to get an extra driver all the time. In my mind, the gap between acrylic and silicone is obvious and meaningful, while the difference between n and n+1 drivers is a decidely mixed bag.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #35 of 78
Hey Jack

Just coming back to the topic, I agree silicone > acrylic overall (the discoloration factor still bugs me tho personally lol
rolleyes.gif
). I have heard recently there were acrylic housing with silicone ends available (Not 1964 ears). But I have also heard that overtime, the silicone ends will weaken and eventually detach from the acrylic shell.

Please comment on rumor? =_=

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #36 of 78
This is mechanical engineering 101 -- a two-part system is rarely more structurally sound than unibody construction. Silicone has non-stick properties and doesn't bond well with other substances, so the problem is exacerbated. There is anecdotal evidence that this has been the case with acrylic body/silicone tip designs, but I haven't experienced it personally.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #37 of 78
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I am looking to get some custom made ear moulds for my Sennheiser IE8. I live in Hong Kong currently and the only company I could find is http://www.hearingtune.com/eng/cust_earmould/earphone.php

I am unsure if their silicone moulds are high quality or not. So I asked them and they told me "[size=xx-small][size=9pt]Our earmoulds are made of[/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=9pt] soft and [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=9pt]hot-cure [/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=9pt]transparent silicon[/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=9pt] material[/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=9pt].[/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=9pt] Discoloring and hardening is possible to happen due to oily ear canals and warm body temperature."[/size][/size]

[size=xx-small][size=9pt]Does this sound normal to you? I know cold-cure was recommended earlier, just want to see if it is worth getting or not.[/size][/size]

[size=xx-small][size=9pt]The total price will be around 130 USD.[/size][/size]

[size=xx-small][size=9pt]Thanks in advance![/size][/size]

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #38 of 78

Quote:
Hey JackJust coming back to the topic, I agree silicone > acrylic overall (the discoloration factor still bugs me tho personally lol
rolleyes.gif
). I have heard recently there were acrylic housing with silicone ends available (Not 1964 ears). But I have also heard that overtime, the silicone ends will weaken and eventually detach from the acrylic shell.Please comment on rumor? =_=

the soft tips various manufacturers have tried tend not to last as long, although initially they are more comfortable and perhaps seal better. with accurate shaping of acrylic you should get the same quality seal, and they'll last longer. the discoloration of silicone has not bothered me, but after one or two years, you definitely start worrying about longevity of the custom tips...

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #41 of 78
  I ordered the custom sleeves from 1964 and found them extremely itchy. Pretty sure I read above they are made from silicon- would acrylic be any less itchy?

Acrylic is like hard plastic - with a very smooth finish - unless you are allergic, there isn't much to interact with skin - silicone is softer and is more likely to have a reaction - I have never had a reaction to acrylic, whereas two blobs of silicone placed placed under the skin, have often let me down the road to destruction. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #43 of 78
In my experience, a high percentage of the people who state that they "prefer" acrylic have never actually experienced silicone. FWIW, I've never heard anyone call silicone "itchy" before, and I've been doing this a long time. Silicone is stable and non-reactive, and longevity is not an issue. It doesn't shrink, nor does it lose its pliability. Even the companies who promote an all-acrylic IEM line still deliver their custom earplugs in soft silicone (though usually made by outside labs).

We have customers still using early 2X-S models they purchased over 10 years ago. I can wear my Sensaphonics silicones 8-10 hours a day without discomfort or ear fatigue.

For me personally, it's all about fit, comfort, seal, and isolation. The superior isolation lowers the noise floor, which nets an improved S/N ratio. That means accurate delivery for greater fidelity, and the ability to achieve high-impact audio at lower, safer levels. Acrylics can't be fitted beyond the second bend in the ear canal, and they don't move with the canal, which makes them much more susceptible to lost seal (and thus, lost bass). Adding extra drivers to compensate for this design flaw may be effective, but it does not promote safe listening. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I understand the whole reshell/resell culture, and how acrylic construction supports that in the consumer community. But if I'm on stage, trying to hear my monitors clearly and without interruption, hoping to have a long career as a musician (or sound engineer), I'll take silicone every time.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #44 of 78
In my experience, a high percentage of the people who state that they "prefer" acrylic have never actually experienced silicone. FWIW, I've never heard anyone call silicone "itchy" before, and I've been doing this a long time. Silicone is stable and non-reactive, and longevity is not an issue. It doesn't shrink, nor does it lose its pliability. Even the companies who promote an all-acrylic IEM line still deliver their custom earplugs in soft silicone (though usually made by outside labs).

We have customers still using early 2X-S models they purchased over 10 years ago. I can wear my Sensaphonics silicones 8-10 hours a day without discomfort or ear fatigue.

For me personally, it's all about fit, comfort, seal, and isolation. The superior isolation lowers the noise floor, which nets an improved S/N ratio. That means accurate delivery for greater fidelity, and the ability to achieve high-impact audio at lower, safer levels. Acrylics can't be fitted beyond the second bend in the ear canal, and they don't move with the canal, which makes them much more susceptible to lost seal (and thus, lost bass). Adding extra drivers to compensate for this design flaw may be effective, but it does not promote safe listening. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I understand the whole reshell/resell culture, and how acrylic construction supports that in the consumer community. But if I'm on stage, trying to hear my monitors clearly and without interruption, hoping to have a long career as a musician (or sound engineer), I'll take silicone every time.

Sounds like you have a ton of knowledge and experience which is great.

I found silicone itchy, which I guess makes me the first person you've heard say that. Why? Not sure, maybe my ears are dry and would draft that way to acrylic too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back