Acronyms & Terms
May 9, 2010 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Vergex2

100+ Head-Fier
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section.

Would anyone mind enlightening me on the definition the following acronyms and terms?

DAP
Crossfeed

I may bump if I have anything new to add. Thanks in advance.

May 9, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 25
(about intentional crossfeeding)
Can also be achieved with software (DSP ... digital signal processing) like this.

Linkwitz wrote:
"Finally there is a problem due to the unnatural spaciousness of the sound reproduction and the complete separation between channels which does not correspond to our natural listening experience." Therefore (to improve listening experience with headphones) he developed a crossfeed.

May 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Thanks again, and a few more -

LOD?

What is the function of a turntable? I've heard some contradicting definitions about this.

LOD : Line Out Dock - a device for use with a DAP to bypass the internal amplifier and send a line levell signal to an external amp, bypasses the volume control on DAP

Turntable: AKA record player or gramophone - a device for playing analog "vinyl" records - popular in the 1930s -1980s - signal held in modulations in a groove. 

May 10, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:

In the very beginning, it was Line Out Dongle, I made my first one in end of 2004 for my iPod.
Look in post # 1301 in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/48274/pictures-of-your-portable-rig/1290

Cool ! - but you should have patented it
wink.gif

May 11, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
New one - tube rolling?

It means changing the vacuum tube on an amp (or any tube based equipment actually) to a compatible tube. Different tube (of the same compatibility) might have different internal construction, so changing tube might change the sound. Tubing rolling is basically where you are experimenting with multiple tubes to find the best sound tube to pair with the headphone / speaker. The 'rolling' part refers to the fact that vacuum tubes are cylinder shape and tend to roll on the table. The same term further extends to 'opamp rolling', meaning experimenting with different operational amplifier chip, though they don't actually 'roll' on the table anymore.

May 11, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #15 of 25

CrossFeed:
An unintentional (poor cables/electronics)  or intentional electronic option to make some of the sound in one channel also heard in the other channel.

Crossfeed is an intentional crosstalk mainly meant for reducing channel separation at low frequencies. You have mixed up crossfeed with crosstalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back