Acoustune HS1501 AL / HS1551 CU
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #31 of 220
I tried both versions at Zeppelin yesterday. Fantastic. So solid. And the packaging is insane. It cries "premium". But due to the housing design and their weight they are absolutely unwearable for me.So I went home with a pair of Etymotics ER4XR...
Yikes and boring buy.

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #34 of 220
Aug 11, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #35 of 220
Tried different tips on the Acoustunes, none helped me to get proper seal. And the Housing of the red version was way too heavy.
I have quite small ears, so there some edges I always felt. Tried what I can, didn't get a fit.
Once Acoustunes comes back with a more mainsteam housing I will give it another try.

Very happy with the Etys, most natural sounding IEMs I tried. Perfect seal and comfort!

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #36 of 220
i found them more bassy than most iem's I've tried or own, kinda like a more civil version of the old sony xba 4s + a subwoofer or a tighter better balanced z5.

Aside from the overwrought bass, I kinda like their sound but these iems made me realise that I'm not a basshead. My friend, who is exclusively into 2ch (he uses Wilson Sophia 2) loved it and thought that it was tonally closer to a pair of "big speakers in a room" than all the other iems he tried, but he also found the Phat Booty bass somewhat distracting.

Despite being all metal, they look and felt "cheap" compared to say DITA or Campfire IEMS, those garish colours, the way the mmcx swivels ... the stubby nozzle made it feel like it's about fall out of these ears at any second. great accessories and packaging tho.

fwiw, the LE sage green/rose gold version looked 1000x better to me.

good vfm if you don't mind the phat booty bass

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #37 of 220
Any comparisons with the JVC FW01s?
Soundfield is much wider, Sound is more colourful, Bass more Impact, I own JVC FX1200, and was tempted to buy a FW01. I tried FW01, their sound pretty much the same to FX1200, the only different is Bass is controlled compared to FX1200. But after I tried HS1551, I think I will go for HS1551 very soon. As previous threads said, Warm and Bassy(Fast and Elastic, not the oomph oomph type), Sparkly, Smooth, Very Musical and Colourful, and Very Wide Soundfield, definitely worth every single cent that you can spend on it.:blush:

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #39 of 220
The price of these have gone to $700 and $800? Earlier in the thread they were in the $400plus range. Any other options to purchase these please advise.
In Malaysia, its about 599 USD......
What type or what gerne of music the most you listen to? IMG_20170914_173406.jpg

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #41 of 220
Just got my pair in. it sounds pretty different right from my phone vs from my amp.

From my amp, (just a cheap sunrise audio amp), it sounds quite a bit airier and the bass is less punchy, but the texture of the bass is great, which sounds better than it does right out of my phone where it sounds slightly darker
It keeps its sound signature of being warm with the main difference being that the instrumental separation is better, and the treble seem to sparkle a little more compared to having my phone as the output.
Vocais and mids sound a tinge clearer as well, not that they aren't clear directly out of my phone. Just a slight difference in my opinion.

From my phone (LG V20), it sounds less airy and more clumped together, sound is generally still warm, however, the bass is punchier and definitely takes more of a center stage compared to out of my amp.
Treble also seem to sparkle a little less and sound is generally more bassy compared to from the amp. Clarity and vocals are still great. However, instrumental separation definitely takes a hit compared to the sound coming out of my amp, generally because the sound stage sounds smaller from my phone.

Coming from the JVC HA-FX850s, I really like these. Seem like a pretty good upgrade in terms of clarity and sound stage compared to those. Sound signature is comparable and bass is equally punchy on both IEMs.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #42 of 220
Got some impression two months after, and I feel they are still top notch.

These take my top spot for the best (and most versatile) dynamic driver IEM across everything I've tried, including TOTLs like the CFA Vega, beyrdynamic Xelento, AK T8ie Mkii, Sennheiser IE800, and some hybrids like the Fostex TE100, CFA Dorado, Dita Dream/Brass, Oriolus Mkii, Sony EX1000 and the Vsonic GR09.

The CFA Vega feel too overly bassy for me, and lack the intimate mids that the HS1551 does so well.

Beyerdynamic Xelento and The AKT8ie come close in performance, are faster and have great extensions on both ends, but also suffer from slightly recessed mids. Just slightly, though, I'd pick these as a nice second place for best DD iem.

Sennheiser IE800 is fast and pretty expansive, but also can be quite a dark mess compared to the Acoustune.

Sony EX1000 is good, but can be a tad too bright for me. Might sound thin to some people too.

Vsonic GR09 is similar, neutral with a bass tilt. Good resolvong iem, also fast, and up to preference here. Both are good, but I prefer the 1551

Dita Dream sounds similarly dark/warm, and works on very specific pairings and music to sound good. Dita brass is similar, less dark, and very mid-centric.

For the hybrids, the Dorado is dark as hell and lacks mids too.

The Fostex TE100 is nice and warm, but has an odd treble roll off that doesn't sound too nice.

The Oriolus Mk2 is incredible, warm and somewhat dark, one of my favourites, and can compete with the 1551. Close tie between the two.

The Fidue A91 Sirius is detailed, but slightly V and can be boomy in bass too.

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #43 of 220
Got some impression two months after, and I feel they are still top notch.

These take my top spot for the best (and most versatile) dynamic driver IEM across everything I've tried, including TOTLs like the CFA Vega, beyrdynamic Xelento, AK T8ie Mkii, Sennheiser IE800, and some hybrids like the Fostex TE100, CFA Dorado, Dita Dream/Brass, Oriolus Mkii, Sony EX1000 and the Vsonic GR09.

The CFA Vega feel too overly bassy for me, and lack the intimate mids that the HS1551 does so well.

Beyerdynamic Xelento and The AKT8ie come close in performance, are faster and have great extensions on both ends, but also suffer from slightly recessed mids. Just slightly, though, I'd pick these as a nice second place for best DD iem.

Sennheiser IE800 is fast and pretty expansive, but also can be quite a dark mess compared to the Acoustune.

Sony EX1000 is good, but can be a tad too bright for me. Might sound thin to some people too.

Vsonic GR09 is similar, neutral with a bass tilt. Good resolvong iem, also fast, and up to preference here. Both are good, but I prefer the 1551

Dita Dream sounds similarly dark/warm, and works on very specific pairings and music to sound good. Dita brass is similar, less dark, and very mid-centric.

For the hybrids, the Dorado is dark as hell and lacks mids too.

The Fostex TE100 is nice and warm, but has an odd treble roll off that doesn't sound too nice.

The Oriolus Mk2 is incredible, warm and somewhat dark, one of my favourites, and can compete with the 1551. Close tie between the two.

The Fidue A91 Sirius is detailed, but slightly V and can be boomy in bass too.
I agree and it gets no hype cause its affordable.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #45 of 220
Finished my review of these beautiful IEMs. Overally, pretty much agree with @FranTBW assessment of them. I really enjoyed them tbh! Not many good single dd designs out there, especially with such good build quality.

https://accessibleaudio.wordpress.com/2017/09/27/acoustune-hs1551-cu-gentle-giant/ check out my review here! ( gonna post one to headfi now!)

acoustunehs1551cu_8.jpg

Nice review! And yes, not many people are making DD iems that can go toe-to-toe with TOTL CIEMs and multi-BA iems without being too v-shaped or bassy. I find the HS1551 has a great amount of compromise, and although there are some issues here and there, the sound itself is too addictive to let go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back