Acoustic Research Mysterious New Audiophile DAP
Mar 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #61 of 215
Quote:
...Roughly translated, it's ".....   Could I intrude upon you to put this music in there [point to the damn thing], and let me have a listen?

Am I the only one here who thinks that, if language is a barrier, the last thing one should attempt to say is "Could I intrude upon you..."

That could potentially be disastrously misinterpreted! LOL
wink_face.gif

Quote:

If Apple sees what that thing looks like there will be a lawsuit for sure....

Yes, I thought exactly the same thing, and that is why I think it undermines the credibility of this as a supposedly genuine Acoustic Research product. They'd be committing commercial suicide by releasing a product that looks so blatantly similar to an iPod Classic. Of course, I may be wrong, but I really doubt that an American company like Acoustic Research would be so foolish to mimic the design of a fellow American company, and a very powerful and litigious one at that.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #62 of 215
Quote:
Quote:
...Roughly translated, it's ".....   Could I intrude upon you to put this music in there [point to the damn thing], and let me have a listen?

Am I the only one here who thinks that, if language is a barrier, the last thing one should attempt to say is "Could I intrude upon you..."

That could potentially be disastrously misinterpreted! LOL
wink_face.gif

Well, I'm not typically one to kill a joke, but I guess a more precise translation would be "Might I ask". 
smile.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #64 of 215
Quote:

Shen sun, wuo yo jee tiao guh.  Tzuh jee tiao guh si wuo tuh bieh she hwan duh guh - yieh si wuo tuh bieh dong duh ing yueh.  Ching wun, nee nun bu nun bah wuo duh ing yreh fang tzai nee mien, zhang wuo ting ee ting?

Roughly translated, it's "Mister, I have a few songs.  These songs are ones that I particularly like - as well as music that I know quite well.  Could I intrude upon you to put this music in there [point to the damn thing], and let me have a listen?

Take the direct approach......
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #65 of 215
Take the direct approach......
biggrin.gif

:) My mandarin is ok. It is more a matter of communication than language...you have to know some people here in mainland China. If I was to come in with a gun yelling, they might ignore me. They are kind of weird in this store, but they have a magical cupboard with ALL the Daps and ALL the portable amps to try. And a magical table with all the best full size cans, and a series of tube amps...so you have to put up with the bosses weird character.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #66 of 215
[size=12.0pt]Ok guys, just got back from the shop where I did side by side comparison with my Flac tracks for a couple of hours, using my Tralucent 1plus2. The owners were actually really nice and let me put my music on it without discussion, even if we had to use their computer to do it. Before I get into sound impressions, here a few other points:[/size]

1. [size=12.0pt]The player will be up on the site of AR within 15 days according to the store owner. There will be an official release in the US in April[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]I confirm that the player runs for approximately 6-7 hours at most. I have seen the battery drain during the 2 hours of listening to FLAC and they have confirmed it. [/size][size=12.0pt]It is the main drawback IMO[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]In terms of build quality, I confirm the player is top notch. Very nice solid and robust feel to it overall. It does get a bit warm but not as much as the DX100[/size]
  4. [size=12.0pt]The ergonomics of the player are pretty good. Only simple physical buttons and clear menus. However, it is simple because there are literally NO options. Just one menu for settings (language and time and other such things) and one menu for music, by folder, artist, genre, etc. There is NO EQ on the player, which some may find annoying, personally I do not care[/size]
  5. [size=12.0pt]There is indeed no possibility for extending the internal 32G memory[/size]
  6. [size=12.0pt]When you insert IEMs in the headphone jack while music in on pause, you have quite an annoying pop[/size]
  7. [size=12.0pt]The line is CRAZY POWERFUL / LOUD. I briefly tested the player with my Tralucent T1 and the amp was set for the iBasso at 180 volume, i.e. at 12 o'clock. The music almost pierced my eardrums. I had to put it at almost minimum volume on the T1, and the line out is not a variable volume line out, so changing volume on the player does not affect it. I haven't tried, but I think this could certainly driver full-size cans[/size]
  8. [size=12.0pt]There is a recessed know for volume on the player, which is quite convenient, but the know is VERY sensitive, you get to max volume in barely a full turn, so you have to be very cautious[/size]

[size=12.0pt]Now what you have been waiting for (or not), the SQ (please excuse me if what I say sometimes does not make sense, I am far from being an expert in sound description:[/size]

1. [size=12.0pt]Let's just start by saying that this player is indeed an audiophile player, above idevices and Cowons without a doubt. All of the defects I will mention are not overwhelming at all, but only in comparison with the DX100. And I really had to go back and forth 4 or 5 times on certain songs to spot differences (on other bass heavy songs it was more obvious)[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]I consider that is, in terms of performance, more or less in the range of the DX100, slightly not a technically proficient in my opinion[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]The player clearly has a coloration. It is meant to be a dynamic, bass heavy player for modern music. Therefore the overall sound is less transparent and neutral than that of the DX100. Those who do not like a slightly darker sound will not like it at all. On certain genre like electro and dubstep, the player might be more enjoyable that the DX100 to some, as the bass is powerful and organic, really engaging. However, this bass boost causes some of it to bleed on the other frequencies, so the sound is less transparent that that of the DX100, particularly in the mids[/size]
  4. [size=12.0pt]However, the sound remains very detailed, and the mids are quite warm and engaging, so overall the sound is very enjoyable and musical to my ears[/size]
  5. [size=12.0pt]On the con side, the soundstage is very nice, a lot of space, combined with the deep and powerful bass, it makes for a really dense atmosphere when listening to some songs, making the listening experience very entrancing. However, since the bass is a bit more overwhelming than on the DX100, sound positioning in space feels less precise[/size]

[size=12.0pt]These are the pros and cons for me:[/size]

[size=12.0pt]PROS:[/size]
  1. [size=12.0pt]Great build quality and a good looking, compact player (roughly the size of an ipod classic, though a bit taller)[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]Very enjoyable sound with powerful and visceral bass and nice sound stage[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]Very easy to use[/size]
  4. [size=12.0pt]Support apparently all formats and bitrates[/size]
  5. [size=12.0pt]Does not need an amp, except maybe for really hard to drive cans (I think so, but didn't test this)[/size]

[size=12.0pt]CONS:[/size]
  1. [size=12.0pt]Short battery life[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]Non-extendable memory[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]Colored sound not for everybody, and absence of EQ. The fact that you cannot have neutral sound is quite annoying on a player at that price[/size]
  4. [size=12.0pt]No options at all[/size]

[size=12.0pt]In conclusion, an interesting players, though not for everyone. The sound is great, but I will not buy as I already have a DX100. If it had longer battery and extendable memory, I might have sold the DX100 to buy, even if I find the DX100 to have the upper hand technically (though not by that much). But if you mostly listen to modern electronica and electro-rock and like fun sound, this might be the one for you.[/size]

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #67 of 215
does the player able to browse by tag on the music player? I am somehow now paranoid on this stuff ever since I found out this is apparently  commonly missed feature on chinesse audiophile players

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #68 of 215
Wow!  Thanks for all that Mimouille!  Above and beyond tha call of duty right there.

Now that the jig is up, I wonder how AR is gonna react.  If they're not thrilled with what you just said, they should send you one for a more long term review under optimal conditions (hint hint AR, give my man a DAP)!

BTW, you didn't actually stay all 6-7 hours right?

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #69 of 215
Wow!  Thanks for all that Mimouille!  Above and beyond tha call of duty right there.

Now that the jig is up, I wonder how AR is gonna react.  If they're not thrilled with what you just said, they should send you one for a more long term review under optimal conditions (hint hint AR, give my man a DAP)!

BTW, you didn't actually stay all 6-7 hours right?

No No ! I do have a life :) just 2 hours and drained more than a third, but the screen was always on and I was always changing and pausing tracks....

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #70 of 215
Hi guys, I got this player since end of Feb and sold my DX100. The player perfectly match IE800 & IQ.

I guess the headamp part maybe simply like MA8.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #71 of 215
Quote:

:)My mandarin is ok. It is more a matter of communication than language...you have to know some people here in mainland China. If I was to come in with a gun yelling, they might ignore me. They are kind of weird in this store, but they have a magical cupboard with ALL the Daps and ALL the portable amps to try. And a magical table with all the best full size cans, and a series of tube amps...so you have to put up with the bosses weird character.

Don't worry, I was joking.....certainly not suggesting anyone really go into a shop with a gun.
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #74 of 215
Great ! Do you hear it like I do ? Care to share impressions ?

Well this machine is extremely awesome. The phone out drives IE800 easily and it is the best sound I ever heard from player without connecting portable amp.

DX100 gives high music resolution but the PO sound is a bit thin.

PS: the machine is hot if you are using PO. Using LO is just warm

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #75 of 215
Okay, I've been trying to figure something out for like the last 5 pages or so.  I think I'm just going to give and ask.  Mimouille, what IS THAT THING in you avatar?  It's like a crazy space rabbit with light blue flames for ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back