Acoustic Research M20 Coming soon
Jun 8, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #511 of 552
I to have the Volume issue it is very concerning I thought it was just that mine was a one that was faulty but looks like a common issue on this Dap.
I told Acoustic Research as it could potentually cause hear damage, they asked for £180 just to look at it so i told them thats day light robbery.
You can buy a new one for £200.

I agree there’s risk of hearing damage.

Other than my ears, does anyone know if such sound blasts are damaging to iems?

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #512 of 552
Sudden volume increase on my unit only happens when i'm using deezer and running ar player pro on the background. My m20 did it while using my ath im02. Thankfully it wasn't in my ears during that time and it didn't burn the drivers. I just make sure no other player is on the background to be safe. Issue hasn't happened for a coupld of weeks now.

I Love this player to pieces.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #514 of 552
I’m beginning to really appreciate this player’s strengths. Have a recently released live Dexter Gordon cd that sounds terribly disjointed thru my FiiO M9 but the M20 pulls it together to sound very musical. Impressive.
Haven’t had anymore volume bombs explode since I stopped using player pro app, and ceased scrolling functions while music is playing. Not sure which is the decisive factor and I don’t aim to risk finding out.
For $200 via Drop I can live with these limitations.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #515 of 552
I’m beginning to really appreciate this player’s strengths. Have a recently released live Dexter Gordon cd that sounds terribly disjointed thru my FiiO M9 but the M20 pulls it together to sound very musical. Impressive.
Haven’t had anymore volume bombs explode since I stopped using player pro app, and ceased scrolling functions while music is playing. Not sure which is the decisive factor and I don’t aim to risk finding out.
For $200 via Drop I can live with these limitations.
Yeah, when I originally reviewed it, it was almost $800. I'm tempted to try a different music app but that kind of defeats the purpose because the AR Player was made to bypass the Android subsystem.

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #516 of 552
i have issue with AR player pro. it now starts, but freezes immediately and after 10-20 seconds get error:

An error of the following kind was caught:
java.lang.RuntimeException:
Crash in native code

Unfortunately this is a fatal error and the application will exit.
We would appreciate it if you could report this problem to support@audio-evolution.com so we can
try to solve it as quickly as possible. Please tell us the steps you did to get to this error.

i am going to try to re-install the firmware upgrade to see if that corrects the problem

Jun 23, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #517 of 552
i have issue with AR player pro. it now starts, but freezes immediately and after 10-20 seconds get error:

An error of the following kind was caught:
java.lang.RuntimeException:
Crash in native code

Unfortunately this is a fatal error and the application will exit.
We would appreciate it if you could report this problem to support@audio-evolution.com so we can
try to solve it as quickly as possible. Please tell us the steps you did to get to this error.

i am going to try to re-install the firmware upgrade to see if that corrects the problem

How long have you owned it?
I was getting some troublesome behavior briefly last week akin to other complaint I read concerning no sound when playing music. I did a reboot and remedied.
Beautiful player but a bit of a potluck item I suspect.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #518 of 552
i left it powered down for a while and then tried again. i started the AR player Pro and let it sit for 5 minutes before it touched it. when i did it worked and has been working fine since.

i bought it on the last massdrop offer and have had it for a couple of months. once i updated the firmware, i have used it extensively. the display is excellent and the UI among the best i have seen. The output is lower than others with hard to drive earphones and there is no line out. if you are running at high volumes and turn on the EQ it distorts like crazy. i am going to test it at some point with an external amp to see how it works. Having said that, the sound quality is excellent. It seems to have well implemented Android although i have not used it much.

My current favourite is the Sony A45 but the M20 gives it a run for it's money.

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #519 of 552
i left it powered down for a while and then tried again. i started the AR player Pro and let it sit for 5 minutes before it touched it. when i did it worked and has been working fine since.

i bought it on the last massdrop offer and have had it for a couple of months. once i updated the firmware, i have used it extensively. the display is excellent and the UI among the best i have seen. The output is lower than others with hard to drive earphones and there is no line out. if you are running at high volumes and turn on the EQ it distorts like crazy. i am going to test it at some point with an external amp to see how it works. Having said that, the sound quality is excellent. It seems to have well implemented Android although i have not used it much.

My current favourite is the Sony A45 but the M20 gives it a run for it's money.

Yeah player pro is unstable, at least compared to the regular player interface. I don’t use pro since it volume exploded on
me, a harrowing experience. I prefer the pro in terms of presentation and options tho.
I got mine from drop too.
I also find the sq to be very good.
I’m surprised you prefer Sony a45. I owned this also. I find the m20 and FiiO M9 to be superior in terms of sheer sq. I gave the a45 to my wife.

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #520 of 552
I also find the sq to be very good.
I’m surprised you prefer Sony a45. I owned this also. I find the m20 and FiiO M9 to be superior in terms of sheer sq. I gave the a45 to my wife.[/QUOTE]

i have not had the volume issue so i cant speak to it and other than the recent episode have found the M20 including player pro, fairly stable.

i don't have the Fiio M9 but do have the X5iii and the AP80 and like the Sony better. the Sony has about the best size to function balance of all of them and is the most stable of all i have tried.. it is warmer than the Fiio and the M20 which i don't mind . the UI is very nice and has a line out if i am using an amp.

it is definitely not perfect (in case Sony is listening). the database refreshes on every boot up which makes it unnecessarily slow to start. there should be a re-scan function instead. When you go to "Artist" (or any other sort option), the list always reverts to the top. i would prefer it remember where you stopped last session and start there. (The M20 does this). it is also extremely picky about album art and i have yet to figure out the magic formula. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. No pattern i have figured out yet.

even with those caveats, IMHO great value , great sound and very stable

Jun 27, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #521 of 552
Excellent observations on A45!
Yes, the album art is tricky for it. I’ve experimented with it at length. I found Amazon jpegs always work.
A45 has a thinner sound to me, but your form/function analysis is “sound.”
It’s all, also, iem/file/tip/cable dependent.
Therein lies the rub.
Cheers

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #522 of 552
Excellent observations on A45!
Yes, the album art is tricky for it. I’ve experimented with it at length. I found Amazon jpegs always work.
A45 has a thinner sound to me, but your form/function analysis is “sound.”
It’s all, also, iem/file/tip/cable dependent.
Therein lies the rub.
Cheers
Album Art could be edited with Sony Music Center. It works in most cases on Sony NW players and AR 2(0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back