Acoustic Research M20 Coming soon
Feb 6, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #526 of 552
Here you go guys, sorry its breif, I don't get much free time. Download all these and install in this order I found an easy way for you guys to root, I went the hard way round with command line stuff initially.

Note: Only test on AR-M2, I don't have an AR-M20

Official Kingo-root (not fake version and not kingroot crap etc)
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/kingo...ngo-root-4-5-6-android-apk-download/download/

Use this to install busybox (command line tools needed by Viper4Android and Xposed)
https://m.apkpure.com/busybox/stericson.busybox/download?from=details

Viper4Android
http://download888.mediafire.com/mcikmhwcwhsg/xonl4jha2e4vez1/ViPER4Android_FX_v2505.zip

Xposed installer
https://dl-xda.xposed.info/modules/de.robv.android.xposed.installer_v33_36570c.apk

Gravitybox Xposed module
https://dl-xda.xposed.info/modules/com.ceco.gm2.gravitybox_v134_b4e361.apk

Note: Viper4Android will work for Neutron and any other Android 4.3 compatible music app. It wont work for the stock UAPP players.

You will need the ARM7+NEON version of neutron

The older Hiby V3.00 (none mseb version) is android 4.3 comparible, get it from the apkpure website or install the apkpure app and install from there. best web browser that ks compatible and works properly is firefox from apkpure.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #528 of 552
Friday Treat...

Quick links for a simple install of Google Apps on the AR-M2 and M20

First off make sure you followed my rooting steps posted earlier.
You must have at least gained root and installed busybox before attempting the below.

As we don't have a custom recovery we can't flash zips from recovery.
FlashGordan saves the day (i did it command line manually first time round :/)

Install this apk
https://forum.xda-developers.com/at...02db07e2f7d&attachmentid=2366442&d=1383402896

Link to latest Google Apps (core) for Jellybean 4.3
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877490001123

Save the zip to the internal sdcard (not external)

Run FlashGordan,
Click Select Zip and navigate to where you saved gapps-jb-20130821-core.zip
You can leave Safe Mode Ticked or Untick it, it will probably say it' not a valid flashable zip (just ignore it)
Tick Wipe Cache and Tick Dalvik-Cache (Don't tick Wipe/data)

Press Flash Now (even though it looks greyed out)

Off it goes, it will say when it's done and ask you to restart. FlashGordan doesn't reboot itself even though it prompts.
Just reboot as you would normally.
You will probably notice apps force closing before and after rebooting.

Now you can go into Play Store and sign in, it should log in but on an old playstore & services so will show errors here and there.
These 2 apps should automatically update. and your google play icon will change from a white bag to the triangle shape.
If it's taking it's time you can install aptoide https://aptoide.en.aptoide.com/amp and in it's settings select system apps.
It will show you google play store and services can be updated, if not then they have already updated automatically

From here you should be good to go, the first time I did this manually, Google Play wasn't showing my already paid for apps as paid. The day after it was fine though and I installed UAPP :) and Neutron from Playstore.

Doing it this time round it was there straight away but I guess google already had my ARM2 device listed already.

Note: don't try using FlashGordon on all sorts of zips you can stop your ARM2 working unless your confident in what you are doing.
(if you do trash it, you will need to send to me to clone the EMMC ram from a full dump I made)

I will post from time to time working zips that are benificial like Xperia Keyboard I installed.

Next posts will probably be performance tweaking, deleting /freezing unnecessary system apps (about 60%) modifying recievers to stop apps auto starting and removing all the bloat of widgets they all advertise, taking up resources.

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #529 of 552
Friday Treat...

You must have at least gained root and installed busybox before attempting the below.

Install this apk
https://forum.xda-developers.com/at...02db07e2f7d&attachmentid=2366442&d=1383402896

Run FlashGordan,
You can leave Safe Mode Ticked or Untick it, it will probably say it' not a valid flashable zip (just ignore it)

Off it goes, it will say when it's done and ask you to restart. FlashGordan doesn't reboot itself even though it prompts.

Now you can go into Play Store and sign in, it should log in but on an old playstore & services so will show errors here and there.
These 2 apps should automatically update. and your google play icon will change from a white bag to the triangle shape.
If it's taking it's time you can install aptoide https://aptoide.en.aptoide.com/amp and in it's settings select system apps.
It will show you google play store and services can be updated, if not then they have already updated automatically

From here you should be good to go, the first time I did this manually, Google Play wasn't showing my already paid for apps as paid. The day after it was fine though and I installed UAPP :) and Neutron from Playstore.

Doing it this time round it was there straight away but I guess google already had my ARM2 device listed already.

Note: don't try using FlashGordon on all sorts of zips you can stop your ARM2 working unless your confident in what you are doing.
(if you do trash it, you will need to send to me to clone the EMMC ram from a full dump I made)

I will post from time to time working zips that are benificial like Xperia Keyboard I installed.

Next posts will probably be performance tweaking, deleting /freezing unnecessary system apps (about 60%) modifying recievers to stop apps auto starting and removing all the bloat of widgets they all advertise, taking up resources.
Thanks for the info!

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #530 of 552
Holy hell...now, it better comes with balanced out connection, wifi, and Bluetooth....I don't use it much, but it is always better to have it there and ready to go. However, balanced out would be a must !

I *can not* wait to upgrade and away from Zx2...I am getting bored of it, I want more sparkles and air....yet, nothing came close to the organic sound of Zx2 and it performances from TRRS balanced....

It would be perfect if

1/ the printed board would be printed out of "silver" and not "copper", that superior 6% more conductivity.
2/ Linux OS, or Windows
3/ Wifi, Bluetooth
4/ faster CPU
5/ 512 GB at the least
6/ Balanced out, and SE******
7/ Dual slot MicroSD upto 2TB
8/ Powerful headphones amps with steady power supplies in both "v,A"
9/ USB C for the speed
10/ Support USB DAC
11/ 12+ hours of battery
12/ dual modes: Power saving, or High-performance

Now this would be unique, there is no other dedicated players with silver die-electric printed circuit board
Better battery life than the dx220.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #531 of 552
Friday Treat...

Install this apk

Run FlashGordan,

You are a hero. Usb audio player pro works on my ar m20. Wooohooo. Thanks so much

May 5, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #533 of 552
I am not sure if this has been mentioned previously in this forum as not got the time to look but i have had the ARM20 close to 4 years now and around 2 months ago i found out that there are a few more options available when using AR player pro app by swiping from right to left.
Qobuz,Tidal and radio stations and a few other things.This may be old news but just incase someone may have missed it.

May 6, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #534 of 552
I am not sure if this has been mentioned previously in this forum as not got the time to look but i have had the ARM20 close to 4 years now and around 2 months ago i found out that there are a few more options available when using AR player pro app by swiping from right to left.
Qobuz,Tidal and radio stations and a few other things.This may be old news but just incase someone may have missed it.

You know what? Even if this has been posted previously, kudos to you for bringing this up again.

Last week I decided to finally give Tidal a try with their $4 for 4 months promo. I really don't want to give criminal Jay-Z any of my money but I am curious about Tidal's audio quality.

I have been listening to Tidal via NAD, SONOS, BlueSound, and CXN. Then I wanted to try Tidal on my AR-M2. I could not get any Tidal APK file to install. Thankfully coming across your post today reminded me of UAPP's Tidal integration.

So THANK YOU!!!

May 20, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #535 of 552
Just watched this video on youtube. It was advised that the 3.5mm out also serves as a lineout when volume is 100%. Tried the line out tonight and was very pleasantly surprised with the performance on my stereo system. Very clean and very spacious sound. Anyone else tried the line out on these?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #536 of 552
Hello guys,

I have opportunity to buy arm20 at good price, however after reading some combinations of positive and negative comments I am little bit sceptic.
The reason I am interested in this is that I own tube cd player in my own rig based on burr brown dac and this is best I've heard musical player.

I am in my late 40 and have no time, and desire to play around crappy firmware.
I want my dap play music.
I will be only using this dap for streaming deezer or tidal and offline listening, nothing else.

I own onkyo dp x1 dap and few hifiman earphones re400, re600, re800 and re2000 as well as he400i and edition s.

Is the arm worth to consider and you think its going to be step up, and hassle free experience?

Thanks for your feedback.
Maciej

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #537 of 552
hmm. Well, i think the device is pretty nice but you are very limited to what you can install on it as far as a music player. Ive found jetstream to be good on it. Don't really care too much for the stock players.

Aside from that its a fine device. I don't stream so cannot comment there. I think overall the device sounds good but if you're comparing it to a desk/home setup - i don't think its going to be a step-up maybe a side-grade but i also cannot comment on your cd player. I just know my home rig does a better job with layers and depth vs this device.

I have one for sale and at this point i just want to get rid of it so i a)wonder if you're looking at my device or b) want to compare prices vs what you are currently looking at. Hit me in pm if you are in the USA.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #538 of 552
Hi. I am in Ireland and was looking for refurbished, but not a second hand unit on ebay, or from the member of the forum.

I know I should not be comparing portable device against stand alone set, not a chance to compete.
I was rather referring to the sound signature on burr brown dac in my cd player, and it's flavour that I like.

Since you're no streaming its hard to say if this would be good move, but thanks for your feedback.
How much are you looking for, and what's the condition of the unit?

Anyone else there that can add some comments regarding m20?

Cheers

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #539 of 552
Hi. I am in Ireland and was looking for refurbished, but not a second hand unit on ebay, or from the member of the forum.

I know I should not be comparing portable device against stand alone set, not a chance to compete.
I was rather referring to the sound signature on burr brown dac in my cd player, and it's flavour that I like.

Since you're no streaming its hard to say if this would be good move, but thanks for your feedback.
How much are you looking for, and what's the condition of the unit?

Anyone else there that can add some comments regarding m20?

Cheers

I feel ya. Yeah. i wish i could help you there. Ive had quite a few dacs and i honestly couldnt really remember anything sticking out vs others (guess the transparency served its purpose).

I'm looking for $150 obro ($200 on sale thread currently) but id rather not ship outside the USA. Unfortunately, i have some scratches on the front screen that can be seen when light hits. No idea how that happened considering its always in a case and i barely use it.

Overall in good to very good condition: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...bo-free-ship.935661/#lg=thread-935661&slide=0

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #540 of 552
I feel ya. Yeah. i wish i could help you there. Ive had quite a few dacs and i honestly couldnt really remember anything sticking out vs others (guess the transparency served its purpose).

I'm looking for $150 obro ($200 on sale thread currently) but id rather not ship outside the USA. Unfortunately, i have some scratches on the front screen that can be seen when light hits. No idea how that happened considering its always in a case and i barely use it.

Overall in good to very good condition: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-...bo-free-ship.935661/#lg=thread-935661&slide=0
Are these scratches on the protective film or on directly on the glass?
Any other technical issues that you can report or nothing else?
I understood you are not entirely happy with the sound signature, or awful firmware?
Those sudden explosive volume increase or lack of support is truly worrying.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back