Acoustic Research M20 Coming soon
Aug 24, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #196 of 553
  Question - do apps like Qobuz go through the BB DAC? Or are they stuck with the android standard dac.  

There is no such thing as an Android DAC. All the signals on the player go through the Burr-Brown DAC. All sound fantastic, signals from the AR Music Player take a more direct path and sound even better. Cheers 

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #198 of 553
  Go into M2 Settings>>Display and there is an option to check auto-rotate Screen.. Check the box and it rotates. In the M20 There is no option to rotate the screen.

Thanks saw that but failed to get rotation, will try with TIDAL again.
Will ask engineering about M20 for you

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #200 of 553
Krismusic and other fellow headfiers at canjam London 2016 urged me to go try out the AR M20. I tried to find the booth in time before the SHaG event but in vain.

And when upon returning home I looked up it's specs and now I'm full of regret because it seems to be ideal midbudget dap for my requirements:
Cannot hiss with my highly sensitive Zeus R ciems
Had to play 15h or more of flac 44.1/16 with my iems (they feel like 115dB/16ohm@1k)
Fast smooth scrolling from A-Z in folder browsing. Sony ZX2 does ok in that regard, refresh lags a bit. The Only I DP-X1 performs 9.5/10, almost imperceptible display lag and under 1s from A-Z on a full 200gb card, and it previews the first word's letters in the fast scroll right side bar instead of just letters making it even faster to find artists/bands.
Wi-Fi & stream is nice but not required, as they tend to bring noise which my items can pick up. Fiio X7 and Sony Zx2 both fail in that regard.

Is there any review tour pending or in the near future?

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #201 of 553
Krismusic and other fellow headfiers at canjam London 2016 urged me to go try out the AR M20. I tried to find the booth in time before the SHaG event but in vain.

And when upon returning home I looked up it's specs and now I'm full of regret because it seems to be ideal midbudget dap for my requirements:
Cannot hiss with my highly sensitive Zeus R ciems
Had to play 15h or more of flac 44.1/16 with my iems (they feel like 115dB/16ohm@1k)
Fast smooth scrolling from A-Z in folder browsing. Sony ZX2 does ok in that regard, refresh lags a bit. The Only I DP-X1 performs 9.5/10, almost imperceptible display lag and under 1s from A-Z on a full 200gb card, and it previews the first word's letters in the fast scroll right side bar instead of just letters making it even faster to find artists/bands.
Wi-Fi & stream is nice but not required, as they tend to bring noise which my items can pick up. Fiio X7 and Sony Zx2 both fail in that regard.

Is there any review tour pending or in the near future?

Hi, shame you missed at CJ. we are trying to sort a Review Tour but this will only be UK and USA. We do not have the logistics to handle any other countries 

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #202 of 553
quick question, I'm not a native english speaker so I want certainty on this issue even though I have seen the feature mentioned - would it be possible to connect a transportable USB hub or card reader to the AR M20 if the power requirements were met? Or in other words, would I be able to expand the AR M20 with a second microSD with the right product attached to it?

Also, would I be able to sideload a 3rd Party Music Player and still get the internal hardware to work properly with it and deliver me the sound quality the device has to offer? Or is just the stock Music Player able to completely bypass the Android OS? I am asking this because I am currently watching a video on the AR M20 where the guy is just talking about the stock Music Player being able to do that, but he isnt mentioning third party music players. I would welcome a third party music player since I am assuming that I wont be able to view itunes song ratings on the device, even less rate songs with the itunes star ratings, it uses IDv3 tags that almost no DAP uses by default.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #203 of 553
  quick question, I'm not a native english speaker so I want certainty on this issue even though I have seen the feature mentioned - would it be possible to connect a transportable USB hub or card reader to the AR M20 if the power requirements were met? Or in other words, would I be able to expand the AR M20 with a second microSD with the right product attached to it?

Also, would I be able to sideload a 3rd Party Music Player and still get the internal hardware to work properly with it and deliver me the sound quality the device has to offer? Or is just the stock Music Player able to completely bypass the Android OS? I am asking this because I am currently watching a video on the AR M20 where the guy is just talking about the stock Music Player being able to do that, but he isnt mentioning third party music players. I would welcome a third party music player since I am assuming that I wont be able to view itunes song ratings on the device, even less rate songs with the itunes star ratings, it uses IDv3 tags that almost no DAP uses by default.

Hi B428

1. You can attach external micro-USB storage, sticks, drives, card readers etc as long as they conforms to the standard USB-OTG standard and power consumption. Would try first.

2. Only the AR music player bypasses the OS, one of the reasons for the great sound. Currently 3rd party apps use the Android OS. This may change but not guaranteed.

Cheers

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #204 of 553

Hi B428

1. You can attach external micro-USB storage, sticks, drives, card readers etc as long as they conforms to the standard USB-OTG standard and power consumption. Would try first.

2. Only the AR music player bypasses the OS, one of the reasons for the great sound. Currently 3rd party apps use the Android OS. This may change but not guaranteed.

Cheers

thank you for the clarification : )

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #208 of 553
  It means Top Of The Line.

Thanks (-: good to hear, love some more feedback from audio123 when possible - Cheers

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #209 of 553

Thanks (-: good to hear, love some more feedback from audio123 when possible - Cheers

the sound is vey clean.
lows: reminds me of ak380. does not hit hard. a very smooth experience.
mids: clean and transparent. there is no colouring at all. possibly one of the best mids I have heard in DAPs.
highs: well extended not to a ridiculous extent.
soundstage: really wide imo.
details: excellent details retrieval.

have tried many totl daps like ak380, paw gold, plenue s, qp1r, hdpr10 and I have to say the m20 is in the same league as them.
truly a clean and totl performance by the m20.
good job acoustic research on this fabulous dap!

honestly the sound is flawless. As much as I try to find faults in it, it very hard to identify any flaws in the sound of the m20. truly a masterclass. it may be the first DAP i am willing to review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back