Acoustic Research AR-H1 Planar Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #196 of 383
I had the pm3's a long time ago and while they were technically pretty good for their price/size, I found them to be incredibly boring and un-musical. The H1's are much more lively and enjoyable to listen to.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #197 of 383
I agree...can’t see how the Oppp is on the same level as the AR-H1. Also, I’ve said this before, but the AR-H1 is so well constructed - competing with a lot more expensive headphones too. It feels extremely durable and solid, so you’ll definitely get your money’s worth in that department.

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #198 of 383
pm3 is very tricky to achieve good seal, if you don't have good seal they sound neutral or bass light, but if you have good seal they have boost in the bass, not much, probably 3db under 200 hz, i think that is the reason why the impressions of the bass on pm3 can vary
I stretched out the headband a bit to ease grip so maybe I don't get this bit of bass boost your are referring to. Seal seems to be fine in any case.

I am wondering if the AR-H1 has better bottom end extension than the PM1? I think the overall sound of the PM1 is very nice but it does lack in the lower octaves.

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #199 of 383
I agree...can’t see how the Oppp is on the same level as the AR-H1. Also, I’ve said this before, but the AR-H1 is so well constructed - competing with a lot more expensive headphones too. It feels extremely durable and solid, so you’ll definitely get your money’s worth in that department.
Looking in your headphone inventory list I do not see these HP's listed. Do you own the AR-H1 and which model of the Oppo do you have that you have compared it to ? Thanks Never mind found some of your post about the AR-H1 ! Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #200 of 383
I have one question, on ear pad size. Can anyone that has tried fostex th-00 HP'S compare the size of them to the AR-H1 ? I have a pair of th-00 sitting here collecting dust, as the ear pads are just uncomfortable !

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #201 of 383
I have one question, on ear pad size. Can anyone that has tried fostex th-00 HP'S compare the size of them to the AR-H1 ? I have a pair of th-00 sitting here collecting dust, as the ear pads are just uncomfortable !

I hated the Fostex ear pads - too small of an opening and just awkwardly shaped. The AR-H1 are definitely roomier - the only caveat being the pad depth. There is a chance of ears touching the driver area a little bit but it doesn’t feel rough or irritating.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #202 of 383
Acoustic Research AR-H1 review
arh1-1-of-1-3.jpg

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #203 of 383
Excellent review!

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #205 of 383
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #206 of 383
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #207 of 383
Funny I'm thinking of getting the Auteur too but the AR-H1 is unique to be a keeper and besides the other planars don't really interest me.

Now the question is to keep the finicky HD800 to fund the Auteur, but thats a unique one too... :floatsmile:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #208 of 383
HD800 is a unique headphone. If you enjoy it and have a good system built around it, it's tough to beat. I sold mine but I'm a frequency response/tone guy first, sound stage isn't really a concern for me with headphones.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #209 of 383
HD800 is a unique headphone. If you enjoy it and have a good system built around it, it's tough to beat. I sold mine but I'm a frequency response/tone guy first, sound stage isn't really a concern for me with headphones.

I pretty much "tamed" it with my current tubes, its definitely more musical and smooth now and I kinda want to go deeper with it.

It's nice to have it as an ultimate reference when comparing new headphones, so I guess i'll keep it. Just need to endure saving up for the Auteur, but I'm not in a rush since I want to tweak/upgrade my source more nowadays.

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #210 of 383
Hi,
My 2 cents.
I was looking at HE560 and K712 or something at first, but then I heard of these and just went for it. Mainly because I think AKG are pretty meh and Hifimans are ugly and hideous both in looks, build quality and name (sorry, can't help it).
Have to say I'm pleased with my purchase so far. Having listened to them many hours, every night, for a week. Addicting.
I'm not going to say much about sound, since I come from ATH-AD700. Just that I have the AR-H1 with O2+odac. Sure is easy to drive like my previous, barely hanging above 9 o'clock with Windows/PC volume set to 60% (just trying to avoid the obvious pitfalls).

Here's the deal (after the sound). The earpads are so shallow, buyer be ware. I heard the AD700 earpads were shallow, Nope, these are. Clamps your head a bit more, so that factors into it. The AD700 are very light compared (clamp force and weight). Hurts my ears a bit (well I have had very extensive listening thought)... A bit sweaty from the leather also (nothing major). Still, very comfortable if you can ignore that. Also they look very good and the build quality is excellent.

Also Very happy to report there's very little change in sounds coming outside the headphones (like noise from computer, displays etc.).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back