According to all graphs D5000 > D7000...
Mar 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 35
The hd800 is not as bassy as the hd650 and my d7000 is more bassy than my hd650 as well.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 35
I don't really think that headroom graphs are wrong, per se, its just that you can't compare open and closed headphones directly based on FR charts. FR charts don't take into account that a closed design traps bass and thus sounds bassier. If two headphones read even close on a FR chart and one is closed and the other is open, the closed one is going to sound waaaayyyy bassier. Also, closed designs tend to make 6kHz to 9 kHz go away (not sure why they do this acoustically, they just do.

FR charts aren't usually wrong, if you take them for what they are and know how to read them.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hd800 is not as bassy as the hd650 and my d7000 is more bassy than my hd650 as well.

I'd rather say that the HD650 is less trebly, which makes it sound bassier. Another thing about FR graphs is people just look at one portion of the graph. You can't do that, you have to compare the whole thing.
graphCompare.php

Even though the bass levels are almost identical, it's the fact that the HD800 has a spike at 6kHz, while the HD650 has a trough there that makes the HD650 sound bassier, despite the fact that their bass levels are almost identical.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather say that the HD650 is less trebly, which makes it sound bassier. Another thing about FR graphs is people just look at one portion of the graph. You can't do that, you have to compare the whole thing.
graphCompare.php

Even though the bass levels are almost identical, it's the fact that the HD800 has a spike at 6kHz, while the HD650 has a trough there that makes the HD650 sound bassier, despite the fact that their bass levels are almost identical.

Yeah and my hd650 is much more trebly than my d7000 as well.
rolleyes.gif

I' m talking about the bass here, at the same volume they will be more present on the hd650 than on the hd800. If you dont believe it, use your hd800 and hd650 find a place with much low frequency bass use a software to cut every part of the song but the bassy part and listen again.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

You listen to the headphone not to the graph
smily_headphones1.gif
and I don't believe much in graphs anymore after seeing something like this.
graphcomparephp.png

In this graph it shows the d7000 as having less bass than the t1 and the hd800 when its the opposite, they actually have much more bass than both.
It also shows the t1 as having more lower bass than the hd800 and I actually noticed the opposite as well.

No, this graph shows that D7000 is slightly less efficient than the others.

Graphs show more quality (freq.response features) than quantity characteristics. And they're strongly influenced by the amp that you use. These graphs are precise measurements but they do not correspond to the presentation of these headphones with every system. The headphone's sound is a product of the entire system. I never rely on graphs.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, this graph shows that D7000 is slightly less efficient than the others.

Graphs show more quality (freq.response features) than quantity characteristics.

dB = decibels = volume = quantity

And again, D7000 is like 10x more efficient than the T1/HD800, so I fail to see your point.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 35
What do you mean by less efficient?

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

What do you mean by less efficient?

graphCompare.php

Those who've ever listened to both headphones know that (apart from quality discrepancy) HD201 have much more bass than K701. But they're harder to drive.

P.S. If you trust this graph you'll have totally wrong idea of the freq. characteristics of both headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
These graphs mean nothing.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

graphCompare.php

Those who've ever listened to both headphones know that (apart from quality discrepancy) HD201 have much more bass than K701. But they're harder to drive.

P.S. If you trust this graph you'll have totally wrong idea of the freq. characteristics of both headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

As necrolic already pointed it, the d7000 are actually much easier to drive than the hd800 or the t1.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #25 of 35
THIS is what I am more worried about than closed/open or how true FR response graphs are... phase is phase...
biggrin.gif

The D7000 looks like the bad ones Headroom showed... AD700 and RS1

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

graphCompare.php

smily_headphones1.gif

Same point I made above applies here. The K701 are some of the hardest to drive headphones out there, whereas the HD201 will drive out of an iPod.

So again, I fail to see your point, especially on the original graph, as D7000 drive far easier than T1/HD800.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

As necrolic already pointed it, the d7000 are actually much easier to drive than the hd800 or the t1.

Then:
Quote:

But the main point of my words is that you cannot get a notion about the bass/mids/trebles absolute quantities. Headphone's linearity is perceived as an indivisible picture for all audible frequencies. Raised mids and trebles make bass sound silent. And contrariwize.
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same point I made above applies here. The K701 are some of the hardest to drive headphones out there, whereas the HD201 will drive out of an iPod.

You must have a powerful iPod.
biggrin.gif

Both are hard to drive but the senns are harder. I own both.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

You must have a powerful iPod.
biggrin.gif

Both are hard to drive but the senns are harder. I own both.

I've had them in the past, they drove just fine from an iPod.

Dunno if there's a new version, but that's just my experience.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #30 of 35
brat, you've got it completely wrong. The graphs are all referenced to 0dBr at 1kHz, it has nothing to do with sensitivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back