ABYSS Top Of The Line videos
Jul 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #198 of 609
If HiFi is so good, why aren’t more people into it?

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jul 30, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #199 of 609
Mm…help people find it. What got me into the hobby was self-discovery. I was waiting for a film to start and had time to spare when I passed by a Grado store that was adjacent to the theater. Knowing next to nothing about headphones, I got curious and went in. The staff was helpful and asked me to audition. The rest is history.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #200 of 609
Abyss are some of the best sounding headphones ever. The Dianna, despite being open back, produces sub bass proving an open backs can do that if needed. That said, they are a bit out of my price range. Why aren't more people into it? This is America, we are broke. People can't even pay their rent while billionaires go into space. That's why. Yes, those in other first world nations may be better able to get into it, and appreciate the finer things that so many Americans think aren't macho enough, so it does better there.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #202 of 609
Music reproduction is so good in today's era compared to just about every other preceding point in time that it's almost not even required to get into hi-fi to enjoy music these days. Anyone with decent $20 IEMs and an iPhone can enjoy really, really good music. Spending thousands of dollars and going through hundreds of hours of critical listening just doesn't fit into the budget or the schedule of most people. This has been, and always will be, a niche industry. Very few people will ever take the time to pursue high-resolution sources and output chains to "make the most" out of their listening time. Frankly, it takes a pretty huge commitment. I enjoy the journey and discovery of new equipment and new music. Most people don't. That's okay. They can enjoy their Beats wireless headphones and leave the $10k+ audiophile systems to the rest of us. There's plenty of variety to go around.

I've had plenty of people listen to my gear and say "Wow, this sounds really good." But not one single person yet has been interested enough to pursue their own journey into the audiophile realm themselves. Different strokes for different folks. This is a very expensive hobby. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #203 of 609
Abyss are some of the best sounding headphones ever. The Dianna, despite being open back, produces sub bass proving an open backs can do that if needed. That said, they are a bit out of my price range. Why aren't more people into it? This is America, we are broke. People can't even pay their rent while billionaires go into space. That's why. Yes, those in other first world nations may be better able to get into it, and appreciate the finer things that so many Americans think aren't macho enough, so it does better there.
nah, even broke people in America have cable tv and Beats (gag) headphones...so I don't think thats the case. I think because we are in a capitalist society, the items that get the most play in the media. and vouched for by celebs (and some paid reviewers), alot of people will be sheep and go for them...and as with most audiophile stuff, many manufacturers aren't promoting /marketing their items unless the market share and or clamor is there for it...which most of the time, is not there. And if the big companies arent spending big $ to promote their audiophile gear (like Sony, and others) , then the smaller ones most definitely cant or have the money to do so...so in the end, the high level gear will be buried or uncovered by the dedicated few

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #206 of 609
IMHO - Music listening as an activity in and of itself seems to be waning dramatically with the younger generation.. Listening to Music is rarely 'The Event' anymore, but has been relegated to a background role for other activities. Why would one invest time, effort, and money into something that is merely playing a supporting or utilitarian role in their life. Music is seen more and more as a tool or distraction as opposed to a PASSION, unfortunately. Sad. One can only hope they will come around eventually. :smile:

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #207 of 609
Oh and I attribute a lot of that to cutting of Music programs in schools. How can one truly appreciate Music if they have no idea its difficulty, complexity and sense of achievement when making / playing music.

Another is YouTube. That seems to have become the primary medium for consuming Music today (on phones nonetheless). If highly compressed and lossy music is what is being consumed, what's the benefit in 'audiophile' gear?

And to close...

Yes I'm a 'boomer' and get the Hell off my lawn! :smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #208 of 609
Great points above. With the high quality of cheap gear out there now, I think it's harder for people to justify spending 2x or 3x more money for 5% better sound quality. It takes dedication to even hear that 5% improvement. Most people don't have the patience or the interest (or the time, perhaps).

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #209 of 609

Oh and I attribute a lot of that to cutting of Music programs in schools. How can one truly appreciate Music if they have no idea its difficulty, complexity and sense of achievement when making / playing music.

Another is YouTube. That seems to have become the primary medium for consuming Music today (on phones nonetheless). If highly compressed and lossy music is what is being consumed, what's the benefit in 'audiophile' gear?

And to close...

Yes I'm a 'boomer' and get the Hell off my lawn! :smirk:

I discovered better audio through my high school's music program. I realized the instruments in recording were all wrong due to the cheap gear of the era. My first set of good headphones were bought to better hear the arrangements and practice more effectively. You are absolutely correct and it's sad watching the arts systematically get dismantled in schools. Football good. Music bad... At least here in the USA.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #210 of 609
I grew up with playing trumpet in my HS band and in college, took a Bach's Mass in B Minor class and another music history class. They gave me a great appreciation on how music has influenced civilized history and here I am today - lol.

But I'm not sure if music is dying per se. I've noticed that more younger people are beginning to listen to 80s music and less of the loud rap music we hear so much in the industry these days. And there is interest in better quality sound, hence why Apple is moving towards lossless. I think we'll see some progress in hi-fi. Let's see.

:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back