Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Jul 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #496 of 566
I've been looking at this thread for quite long but haven't been able to fnd something conclusive - I just got my raptor - and i'm using it with Slyvania's Gold Brand/gold pins with a telefunken at the back for a HD 650.

It's lovely, except that I find it a little too forward at times - what tubes would be recommended for a larger soundstage, making it a tad bit recessed at the same time? - I'd prefer keeping the gold pins, and changing the back tube - if possible.

Any ideas guys?

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #497 of 566
I got some 1950s Tung Sols for the 5687 tubes (front)

I really like the 1957 Mullard 12AU7 for the rear tube.

I got my tubes to complement my HD650s initally, but am really liking them as well with the HD800 and HF-2s.

I listen to jazz, bluegrass and classical mainly. These are smooth tubes, yet true to the Raptor are not overly tubey.

I don't have the experience to compare them for soundstage and "recessed" qualities versus your tubes.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #499 of 566
Are these the long plate Mullards or the short ones?

I know you said you like it with the HD800 - but is it as good a match as the 650s is for the Raptor? - the HD800 is next in my purchase list, and I wouldn't be able to get an amp for long, so I wonder if the Raptor will do for the time being. I listen to classical mainly too.

Interestingly, I tried the RCA black ribbed plates for the rear, and everything seems sweeter now - a little more transparent and laidback. But strangely enough, even though the telefunken was so forward, it still has a larger soundstage than the RCA. If I can get the sweetness and transparency of the RCA, and the soundstage of the telefunken, I'd be a happy camper.

I'm thinking of getting a Tungsram that OBE sometime ago recommended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got some 1950s Tung Sols for the 5687 tubes (front)

I really like the 1957 Mullard 12AU7 for the rear tube.

I got my tubes to complement my HD650s initally, but am really liking them as well with the HD800 and HF-2s.

I listen to jazz, bluegrass and classical mainly. These are smooth tubes, yet true to the Raptor are not overly tubey.

I don't have the experience to compare them for soundstage and "recessed" qualities versus your tubes.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #500 of 566
yes - long plate mullard 12au7

I am swapping HF-2 and 800 now on the amp. HF-2 is a bit more forward (energetic?) but requires a bit higher volume setting than the 800, so I am not sure if the energy is coming from there. 800 is very detailed, not sloppy, clearer than the 650, and more "accurate" I think. I don't presume to be a terrific critical listener. 800 soundstage is bigger than the HF-2, as well as more comfortable due to being circumaural on both accounts I think. I do like the 800s with this amp better than the 650s.

When I get back from vacation (next week) I plan to try the original tubes with the headphones, and see what they sound like. The current setup I have was designed to warm up my W5000, but really did not do that good a job of it.

I have also not listened to the 800s with anything else yet to have any other opinions.

RCA - black plate, and clear top, are both supposed to be good with this amp. Was considering looking into one or both of those.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #501 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to derail the thread; but what did OBE do to get himself banned? Mod sass?

a serious cable argument.
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #504 of 566
Hehe that he was - but I always felt that he had lots to contribute. Hope the ban isn't permanent.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #505 of 566
Agree 110% with the 1950's Mullard Long Plate and the 1950's Tung-Sols. The 650's are my main can, and I've been running this setup for the last two months. I was using the Sylvania Gold Pins with the Mullard before that. I've tried quite a few other tubes as well, and this is by far the best with the 650. It provides tons of detail, but with a liquid smoothness throughout the entire frequency spectrum. I could not recommend this tube set any more, it's fantastic.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #506 of 566
Genalex B749 Gold Lion + 1950's Tung-Sols is my current HD800 combination of choice by far. Tried Mullard long plates and Telefunken ecc802s as gain tubes too, both outstanding tubes, but they lack that last part of magic the Genalex seem to add, both in extension and naturalness iin big orchestral sound. However, they Genalex cost an arm and a leg, and could well be some of the rarest vintage tubes in the world. As of 5687, I tried the Sylvania Gold Brand too, but they seem to lack just a bit on detail compared to the Tung-Sol. That "bit" was already quite noticeable with the HD650, it is even more with the HD800 (unsurprisingly). They can help on overly bright recordings, though.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #508 of 566
Okay guys I need some help/input.

First off all, I'm very new to this whole tube/tube rolling business, and have started to research about it, but I'm left with some questions.

I have noticed some are recommending the 12BH7A and from the little research I've done indicates that this is a better choice over the 12AU7. Is this correct? and If so in what ways?

Now the 5687 can be replaced by the 6900, 7044 and 7119 correct? What are the pros and cons between these types? Is there technically a better tube or is it just preference?

I'm looking for tubes that are warmer sounding, have bass/mid range emphases. Like I said I'm still trying to understand all of this, I welcome any input/correction, please don't hesitate to do so.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #509 of 566
I'm supposed to be getting a single NOS Tung-Sol 12AU7 "Black Glass" tube this next week. I'll post impressions once and if I get it.

Rock on.
.joel

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #510 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at this thread for quite long but haven't been able to fnd something conclusive - I just got my raptor - and i'm using it with Slyvania's Gold Brand/gold pins with a telefunken at the back for a HD 650.

It's lovely, except that I find it a little too forward at times - what tubes would be recommended for a larger soundstage, making it a tad bit recessed at the same time? - I'd prefer keeping the gold pins, and changing the back tube - if possible.

Any ideas guys?

I can highly recommend the Sylvannia "gold pin" 5963 (=12AU7) for the 12AU7 spot. Great tube. Very articulate, detailed and smooth airy highs. Bass is tight but also nicely (not overblown or "flubby") extended and deep/natural.

I also think you'd enjoy that tube combined with a pair of RCA 5687 Black (or Bronze) plates in the 5687 spots; they are reasonably priced and dramatically improve the soundstage and 3D imaging over some of the other 5687's I have (Tung Sol, GE, etc.). I've found that swapping the two front 5687's change things a bit more dramatically to my ear than does swapping the 12AU7's ... for instance, the difference between the RCA Bronze/Black plates 5687 to be far more enjoyable and natural than the Tung Sol 5687's that some folks like (with my cans, the Tung Sols are absolutely bloated and "flubby/farty" sounding in the bass, whereas the RCA's are nice and tight and natural sounding.

But cans *do* make a huge difference, I must say ...

I'm listening with GS1000's which are pretty much the Yin to the HD650's Yang. But since the tubes are all pretty affordable, I'd recommend trying them anyway. I know the above combo also sounds really nice with my roomies AKG701's (which, under any listening arrangement, I really don't enjoy but have used them for review purposes aplenty).

Good luck!

On another note ...

Old Blue Eyez was a fantastic contributor in regards to tubes. One of the more knowledgeable folks I know regarding tubes for the Raptor. His comments re: tubes were always spot on to my ear. I'm sad to see him go.

Shame forums can't stomach nasty arguments. Banning is sort of stupid. Nothing like a good fight to move things forward. Better an infraction system if somebody starts acting too lame ... give them some time off and an opp to come back. Maybe that's how "being banned" works anyway. Dunno.

But I'm not admin so ...

Rock on.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back