Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Sep 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #541 of 566
That's good to know about DACs. I won't be upgrading anytime soon, I bought my ODAC less than 2 weeks ago. Thanks, for the heads up one the Shunyata AC cable, hopefully I can convince my brother to buy me that for my birthday (4 days ago). We'll see.

Something is my audio chain is weaker than the others, not sure though. I see reviews of people praising the soundstage and saying they looked over their shoulders. I, however, do not experience that in the slightest.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #542 of 566
  OMG dude, this is tooooo funny. I was in line right behind you to purchase his Raptor. Those blue LEDs look great, I'm a bit jealous. The stock ones are said to be red, but to me they look more orange, but it actually matches the color of the warm tubes.

I can tell you that the Genalex tube is very nice compared to the used Telefunken that came with my Raptor. Much quieter, better dynamics, tighter bass. But, again, I have no idea how old that Telefunken is. 

Any chance you're willing to open up the lid on the power supply? I want to see the internals to compare to mine to know if I have the updated PSU. Mine doesn't make any noise, but the kid I got mine from really couldn't answer any of my questions about the amp.

If your power supply is round and wrapped with black tape then you have the upgraded power supply ...

It will look like the power supply in the upper left of the image here:

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/assets/2007/2/18/DSC_0004.jpg

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #543 of 566
Good, my PSU is the updated version. 

IFoundFate, everything in the chain contributes to the sound. Start with the music, make sure you have quality recordings, whether it be a CD, Vinyl or a digital file. Next, the source unit playing those files should be of good quality. Basically it all trickles down the line. The amp and headphones you have are of very high quality, so you don't have to worry there. Cabling will have less effect than ensuring your music, source and DAC are of high quality (note, not necessarily the highest priced). 

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #544 of 566
  Good, my PSU is the updated version. 

IFoundFate, everything in the chain contributes to the sound. Start with the music, make sure you have quality recordings, whether it be a CD, Vinyl or a digital file. Next, the source unit playing those files should be of good quality. Basically it all trickles down the line. The amp and headphones you have are of very high quality, so you don't have to worry there. Cabling will have less effect than ensuring your music, source and DAC are of high quality (note, not necessarily the highest priced). 

All of the music that I have (~99%) is FLAC. It is mostly all 16/44.1 but stills FLAC nonetheless. The DAC that I have is good (measurements wise) along with my amp, headphones, and audio files. The only thing left in my chain is cables/tubes/fuses. 

That's why I've been looking at cables and have the Gold Lion you recommended on its way.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #546 of 566

All of the music that I have (~99%) is FLAC. It is mostly all 16/44.1 but stills FLAC nonetheless. The DAC that I have is good (measurements wise) along with my amp, headphones, and audio files. The only thing left in my chain is cables/tubes/fuses. 

That's why I've been looking at cables and have the Gold Lion you recommended on its way.

Maybe your ears are broken? JK. 

The DAC is certainly capable of coloring the sound and changing the sound stage. With an amp like the Raptor, I would personally want to have a DAC that is regarded has being very transparent and precise, then you only really need to be concerned with the different sounds the tubes create. I think you will like the Gold Lion.

What ear pads do you have on the HE500s, and do they have any mods done to them? That is another area you can tinker with. Different pad materials and depths make a difference. I haven't tried yet, but I've read that removing the dust covers can also help increase the 'airiness' and sound stage.

Audio is a tough hobby for those that are curious, LOL.  

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #547 of 566
I sure hope it is the tubes, and the Gold Lion puts my ears to rest. I'm around 100 hours of break-in on the cans and they definitely are sounding better but the soundstage is not wicked yet.

I'm using the stock velour pads, I heard the soundstage is better with them. Maybe I should use the leathers though, everyone says the silver cable is better but I think the copper is better. Not sure if I want to cut off the screen just yet.

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #548 of 566
Just got my Genalex Gold Lions in the mail an hour ago. The music sounds a bit better. The instruments and vocals are more inviting and musical. And man oh man the bass guitar sounds fantastic with this. I will doing some more listening with other genres like rap/hip-hop and strings soon.

I have noticed that the volume lever is significantly less than my philips tubes. Used to rest around 1-2 pm and now it's around 7-8 pm.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #549 of 566
If you had the volume up that high, it could be that your tubes were fairly old. I hardly make it beyond 9 o'clock before it is getting loud. I've been really busy lately and haven't had any time to spend with the Raptor and 500s. Coming from my T90s to the 500s, the 500s are definitely a bit mellower sounding and the soundstage isn't as large. The 500s remind me of the sound signature of B&W speakers... kind of that warm, UK sound. It's pleasant for certain genres. I don't listen to rap, so I wouldn't know what to expect there. 

My uncle is a big audiophile. When I told him I got a Raptor he said he was going to call Ray to talk about it (Ray lives a little north of us in Illinois). Anyway, he says every tweak you do to this amp (cables, fuse, tubes) will influence the sound because of its design. I haven't tried yet, but I'm thinking the Raptor would benefit from being on a isolated platform or isolation footers as well.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #550 of 566
That may be the case with these tubes, they may be a little old. Some time soon I'll look for a matched pair of 5687s. I guess it depends on the music but it doesn't get that loud until I am past noon on the Raptor. I'd like to know what people think of this amp with the Senn HD800s, my next cans will either be a Audeze LCD-? or the HD800s. I am curious as to how they match with the amp. I would like to have a headphone with great soundstage for my next pair of cans.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #551 of 566
  That may be the case with these tubes, they may be a little old. Some time soon I'll look for a matched pair of 5687s.

Hold off for a little bit. S1rrah has some en route to me and I have 2 pairs of Tung Sols. Once I dabble with these a bit I will send the ones I am not using your way. I just found out that my uncle has a tube tester, so I should be able to try to get some readings on all of them sometime soon. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #552 of 566

Got some work cut out for me now. Thanks to s1rrah for passing on some of his tubes to a new Raptor owner! With my RCA, Telefunken and Genalex, plus the new RCA, Amperex and Tesla, I think I will be busy for a while. The black plate RCA 5687 will be interesting to try in place of the Tung Sol I have now too.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #555 of 566
It's only stacked for the picture. I keep each unit sitting on its own vibration isolation pads otherwise. The power LED on mine is very recessed. Pretty much have to look into the hole straight on to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back