Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
May 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #481 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for Raptor afficianados (couple, really):

1. How long can I listen before giving the amp a break? I've heard various limits of 8 to 10 hours with Woo amps and I'm curious if the Raptor is different in that regard due to it's solid state power supply?

2. Also something I've heard regarding Woo amps is that it's bad to run them without an audio signal being pass to them. Is this the case with the Raptor or is okay to have it turned on without music playing?

Thanks for any comments.

By the way, I don't think it is the case that you need to have an audio signal being passed to a tube amp. It is just the case that some tube amps need to have a load (headphones plugged into them or the preamp being used) while they are on (but I guess not OTL amps). At least this is my interpretation of what I have read.

May 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #482 of 566
Going on a good 20 hour listening session (granted ... with about four hours of sleep a while back) ...

And I just thought I'd mention that the Raptor amp and Havana DAC get along phenomenally well ...

duo.jpg

Tubes galore.

At source and at resolution.

Not at all too much.

Very very fine.

I've whittled away the past 10 hours or so being seranaded by the full Grandaddy Discography ...

Quite fine.

(please don't take my sunshine away!)

wink.gif

May 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #483 of 566
Joel, you tempt me with the Havana again - I can't wait to see how it'll fair with my Paradisea and 650s

And I'm glad the raptor can be stacked on top the dac!

May 17, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #484 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joel, you tempt me with the Havana again - I can't wait to see how it'll fair with my Paradisea and 650s

And I'm glad the raptor can be stacked on top the dac!

The Paradisea is a win DAC for sure. No worries! The Havana just removes a bit of the grain/etch that comes with the OPAMP circuit in the Paradisea variants. Bit more resolved ... bit more detailed and "clarion" ... but they are definitely identifiable as related.

Truth be told ... the slightly more articulate, slightly more detailed nature of the Raptor, set next to ... say ... A Woo 6 or Woo 6 SE ... is what attracted me to the RSA option. Don't get me wrong ... I positively LOVED the Woo amps I demo'd at the last Houston meet ... so lush and seductive and gorgeously built.

But I'm primarily a fan of solid state amps; I lean towards appreciating detail and resolution over lush qualities. And I think what Ray has down with the Raptor is just the right equation in so far as using tubes to compliment an already great solid state sound.

Had I the paycheck to support such a pairing ... I'd think owning a Woo amp and the Raptor amp to be about the best and most ideal pairing anyone could have. But alas ... I'm not that well endowed financially at the moment!

But anyway ...

Paired with the Havana (and a kick ass JW branded WE396A tube) ... the Raptor is producing velvety sex through my GS1000's ...

I'm looking forward to a possible HD650 purchase soon as well ... and I'm sure those cans will be lovely as well.

Post some thoughts once you get your gear, yo!

Best.
.joel

May 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #485 of 566
Hmmm, "velvety sex," that's a new one for me...
tongue.gif

May 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #487 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol

I really love Raptor too, but since I got WA6SE, I prefer Woo sound signature over the RSA. lushhh and mellowwww...
biggrin.gif

What tubes are you using for the 6SE? "Mellow" would be the last word I'd use to describe my 6SE sound...

May 17, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #488 of 566
I finally got my JW 2C51 as well, it does sound lovely - looking for the bendix now. I'll surely post my findings once I get my hands on my raptor. I just it doesn't end up being too tubey. I know the raptor goes very well with the 650s, but since its a dark pair of cans to begin with, I'm hoping the Paradisea's tube buffer won't muddy up things.

Fingers crossed.

May 17, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #489 of 566
Sophia with Sylvania 6EW7 or GE 6FD7.

Well, I can't say it's completely lush or mellow like Single Power amp, but when comparing with Raptor, it's lusher and more mellow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Raptor with my preference tube - Sylvania 5963 & Tung-Sol 5687 gave me really good PRaT.

----

EDIT: another reason I switched to Woo amp is the sound stage of the 6SE which Raptor cannot beat.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #490 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sophia with Sylvania 6EW7 or GE 6FD7.

Well, I can't say it's completely lush or mellow like Single Power amp, but when comparing with Raptor, it's lusher and more mellow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Raptor with my preference tube - Sylvania 5963 & Tung-Sol 5687 gave me really good PRaT.

----

EDIT: another reason I switched to Woo amp is the sound stage of the 6SE which Raptor cannot beat.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, I see.

May 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #492 of 566
I have several questions,

what is the best amp between Cayin Audio HA-A1 and RSA Raptor for Senn's HD650 ?
Is there really a noticeable difference ?

Does the Raptor come with great tubes ? Is there a big difference if $200 is invested in tubes, if so what are the best tubes in this price range (electronic music, alt rock, hip-hop, jazz)

Can you get the RSA Raptor cheaper than on the official website ?

Thanks !

May 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #493 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what is the best amp between Cayin Audio HA-A1 and RSA Raptor for Senn's HD650 ?

Does the Raptor come with great tubes ? Is there a big difference if $200 is invested in tubes, if so what are the best tubes in this price range (electronic music, alt rock, hip-hop, jazz)

Thanks !

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/rs...-tubes-376487/

$950 with stock tubes.

May 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #494 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks !

I think the stock tubes that come with the Raptor are quite good. I'm not gonna sell them, that's for sure. Good to have back up's and all.

I preferred slightly leaner tone of the RCA Bronze Plate 5687's though and so am going with those as my main set of driver tubes. I just ordered a NOS set of the same RCA's off ebay for like 20 bucks. Hopefully they will be okay as that price is pretty dang good.

But yeah. I think the stock tubes are fine. Also, contrary to a lot of other folks' opinions, I find the much lauded Tesla 5687 as drivers to not work well at all ... just so puffy and bloated sounding. But try 'em anyway as a lot of folks like them.

Best.
.joel

May 18, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #495 of 566
Thanks

Would you say that the Paradisea+ is better than Stello DA100 (especially when matched with Raptor) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back