Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Apr 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #451 of 566
Forgive me for asking this, but I have been looking really hard at the raptor lately.

How does the Raptor do with low impedance headphones?

I have read that low impedance need transformers to get the current they need, or that tube amps can sometimes have too much gain and subsequently there is hiss on high-sensitivity headphones.

Basically I would be driving my Denon D5k and the Sennheiser 650(800 when the inevitable price drop occurs)

I tried a search but there were pages of results and it seemed like most responses where from the sound science types, not actual owners.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #452 of 566
Consult olblueyez in this discipline and he will share his vass knowledge with you in details.... Raptor is a wonderful amp and it is kinda sad to let go mine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by raif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me for asking this, but I have been looking really hard at the raptor lately.

How does the Raptor do with low impedance headphones?

I have read that low impedance need transformers to get the current they need, or that tube amps can sometimes have too much gain and subsequently there is hiss on high-sensitivity headphones.

Basically I would be driving my Denon D5k and the Sennheiser 650(800 when the inevitable price drop occurs)

I tried a search but there were pages of results and it seemed like most responses where from the sound science types, not actual owners.

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #453 of 566
Hi Raif,

My 32 Ohm Audio Technica W1000 works great in my B52, single ended connection. The Raptor should have no problem driving low impedance cans. However, I would definitely suggest you do some tube rolling to match up your listening tastes with your cans of choice.

I like the Amperex 7316 and RCA Bronze plates 5687 for Sennheiser HD-650. Not so much for the HD-600.

For the HD-600 I like the Mullard CV4003 12AU7 with the RCA Bronze Plates. Tube rolling would be the key really.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #454 of 566
To be honest, and I'm sorry if this contradicts the previous poster. I would recommend the Woo 2 if you like low impedance cans, yes it has transformers. Now my opinion is based on the fact that my raptor will not drive a 701 to what I feel is good sound quality but the 701 is a bitch for any amplifier and the AT's are much easier to drive. The upside of the raptor is the tube rolling is fairly inexpensive and there are an endless number of tube combos available out there and tubes in all price ranges, I could be wrong but rolling on the WA 2 will cost more and not have as many choices and be more complex as it has more tubes. I would talk to Ray and ask if he can set up the amp for lower impedance headphones. He lowered the gain on mine to I could have more knob turn with my 650's. Talk to Jack too, they are both great guys to deal with.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #455 of 566
I will definitely have to call in and discuss. Thanks for everyone's input.

IMHO, the Raptor is the d*mn prettiest amplifier I have seen in my time here at head-fi, and if I can rationalize its purchase in any way, it is on. Also, I ordered a headphone stand from woo audio over 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing from them.(no shipping notification, no contact, but they sure accepted my paypal charge quick enough)

What I find curious is that my old SinglePower Extreme played my Denon's more beautifully than any solid state I tried it with(dyanhi, m^3, etc). I wonder what design differences accounted for that. Maybe the tube combination gave me what I wanted to hear.(Bendix 2c51 with 6080s)

Apr 4, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #456 of 566
No dispute that Raptor is the prettiest amp that I ever owned. With its miniature outlook and contradicting performance against it size.

Quote:

IMHO, the Raptor is the d*mn prettiest amplifier I have seen in my time here at head-fi, and if I can rationalize its purchase in any way, it is on.

Apr 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #457 of 566
Quote:

I will definitely have to call in and discuss. Thanks for everyone's input.

IMHO, the Raptor is the d*mn prettiest amplifier I have seen in my time here at head-fi, and if I can rationalize its purchase in any way, it is on. Also, I ordered a headphone stand from woo audio over 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing from them.(no shipping notification, no contact, but they sure accepted my paypal charge quick enough)

What I find curious is that my old SinglePower Extreme played my Denon's more beautifully than any solid state I tried it with(dyanhi, m^3, etc). I wonder what design differences accounted for that. Maybe the tube combination gave me what I wanted to hear.(Bendix 2c51 with 6080s)

Ever see the WA2 in Black? Purdy MoFo!!!

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #458 of 566
I absolutely love the Raptor with the RS-1. On the other hand, I also agree with OBE, I did not like the K-701 with it, but I also didn't like the K701 with my Desktop either . I had the WA6, which also did an excellent job with Grados. I just preferred the Raptor's overall sound. Have not heard the WA2. The great thing, is both Jack and Ray will send you a loaner amp and let you decide which you like best! They really make things too easy. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #459 of 566
Hey guys, I got a Phillips branded E82CC made by Siemens in Germany. GD does it sound good. Detail, clarity, 3D-imaging like a 7316 but it has weight and impact and texture. I have it running with some GB's. **** it sounds good.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6906/02942.jpg

Go to Ebay and search for "E82CC" and buy anything made by Siemens!!!

Try to search for these numbers too: 5963/ 5814A / ECC802S

BTW: I got my amp back from Ray today, he modified it so the Gain is 1/2 of what it was. If some of you have 300/600 Ohm cans then this may be a good thing for you. I can actually use my volume knob now.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #460 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely love the Raptor with the RS-1. On the other hand, I also agree with OBE, I did not like the K-701 with it, but I also didn't like the K701 with my Desktop either . I had the WA6, which also did an excellent job with Grados. I just preferred the Raptor's overall sound. Have not heard the WA2. The great thing, is both Jack and Ray will send you a loaner amp and let you decide which you like best! They really make things too easy. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you buy.

lol I prefer WA6SE over Raptor now. Not it's better than others, but just the personal preference.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back