Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #421 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OBE, I'd say 100% yes to getting the long plate Mullard. I've got or have heard almost all of the prominent 12au7's and the long plate Mullard is by far my favorite. I was not expecting a big jump from my 60's short plate, but a big jump is what I got. I think it is definitely worth seeking out.

The search continues. This Telefunken smoothie is real nice with the GB's. Best bass so far, bigger sound stage than the mullard, kinda 701'ish but without the harsh highs. Still not as dripping sweet as the mullard mids but if you like a little more detail and cleaner highs then you will love this tube. Its a keeper for sure. Im gonna let the Mulllard rest for a few weeks.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #422 of 566
If you guys haven't tried a Telefunken yet then you need too. I think I may have competitor for the Mullard. You can pick up a smooth plate ECC82 on eBay cheap, super sweet tube, awesome bass and open and airy but still sweet. Seems to work best with the GB drivers.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #427 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance to compare with Mullard Long Plates?

I would love to but I dont have a long plate Mullard, I have been stalking Flebay for one but no luck as of yet. I like this Telefunken soooooooo much im thinking of looking for a ribbed version too. It really does need the GB's to add a little silk to the sound though. It has an open soundstage and nice airy highs like a 701 but without the confusion and clutter of the 701 highs. Good stuff.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #430 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The search continues. This Telefunken smoothie is real nice with the GB's. Best bass so far, bigger sound stage than the mullard, kinda 701'ish but without the harsh highs. Still not as dripping sweet as the mullard mids but if you like a little more detail and cleaner highs then you will love this tube. Its a keeper for sure. Im gonna let the Mulllard rest for a few weeks.
wink.gif

If I'm not mistaken, the Telefunken is one of Ray's favorites with the Raptor.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #431 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not mistaken, the Telefunken is one of Ray's favorites with the Raptor.

Its funny you say that because I E-mailed Ray shortly after I got the amp and I asked him about tubes and that I was after something with a nice bass. He sent me this super long E-mail saying: Telefunken Reguards Ray.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #432 of 566
I took out the RCA 12BH7 from the Raptor and swapped with the Telefunken Ribbed Plates. The impressions heard from my 400 hours K702 are as follows:

* smaller sound staging
* 2 rows backward
* softer mids
* more volume knob freeplay
* more details
* tighter bass

Still in search of a Mullard Long Plates.

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #433 of 566
Hi, I've been doing some research about tubes for the Raptor, and I was wondering if anyone could comment on Cyro-treated tubes. Would regular Mullard tubes that are Cyro treated be able to match the rarer tubes? The e-bay seller, HLR Electron Tube Sales offers treated tubes, and kraudioproducts.com offers them too. Can anyone comment on them?

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #434 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I've been doing some research about tubes for the Raptor, and I was wondering if anyone could comment on Cyro-treated tubes. Would regular Mullard tubes that are Cyro treated be able to match the rarer tubes? The e-bay seller, HLR Electron Tube Sales offers treated tubes, and kraudioproducts.com offers them too. Can anyone comment on them?

www.TubeWorld.com

This is just my opinion of course. I don't see how the cryo treatment can increase sound quality as that is a function of construction and chemicals used in the manufacturing process. I would also think cryoing a tube would shorten the lifespan of the tube. Your question about regular Mullards with cryo being able to match a vintage Mullard made in Blackburn? No way! If its not a vintage tube from the Blackburn factory then its not a real Mullard, the Blackburn tubes are the tubes that gave Mullard its reputation. Spend time on eBay looking for the real McCoy, try a short ribbed plate Mullard they go cheaper then the long plate versions and sound fantastic. Also when looking at tubes on eBay, make sure you get a good look at the construction so you know exactly what your getting and if your getting a pair make damn sure they have identical construction as there are some unsavory characters out there selling 2 different tubes as matched. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #435 of 566
I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
www.TubeWorld.com

This is just my opinion of course. I don't see how the cryo treatment can increase sound quality as that is a function of construction and chemicals used in the manufacturing process. I would also think cryoing a tube would shorten the lifespan of the tube. Your question about regular Mullards with cryo being able to match a vintage Mullard made in Blackburn? No way! If its not a vintage tube from the Blackburn factory then its not a real Mullard, the Blackburn tubes are the tubes that gave Mullard its reputation. Spend time on eBay looking for the real McCoy, try a short ribbed plate Mullard they go cheaper then the long plate versions and sound fantastic. Also when looking at tubes on eBay, make sure you get a good look at the construction so you know exactly what your getting and if your getting a pair make damn sure they have identical construction as there are some unsavory characters out there selling 2 different tubes as matched. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back