Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Feb 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #436 of 566
I agree, it does sound hokey, but it's just that it has never come up in 29 pages. The price sure isn't though. Anyone know anything about the military Sylvania 5687? I was looking at tubeworld, and there isn't a mention of them. They are supposed to be similar to the Gold Brand.

Edit: Too late, I already bought them. Nuts, I shouldn't be spending like crazy, we're in a recession!
tongue.gif
Is there any place to buy tubes in San Francisco?

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #437 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, it does sound hokey, but it's just that it has never come up in 29 pages. The price sure isn't though. Anyone know anything about the military Sylvania 5687? I was looking at tubeworld, and there isn't a mention of them. They are supposed to be similar to the Gold Brand.

Edit: Too late, I already bought them. Nuts, I shouldn't be spending like crazy, we're in a recession!
tongue.gif
Is there any place to buy tubes in San Francisco?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #438 of 566
I've been using an Amperex 7316 paired with Tung Sol 5687s with very good results. I managed to snag a pair of NOS Slyvania Gold Brand 5687s and first tried them with the Amperex 7316. Boy was that disappointing; lacking in excitement and rolled off in the highs. I had tried an RCA clear top with the Tung Sols and it was very lively but was bright to the point of being fatiguing, so it seemed like it might be a good match with the Sylvanias. After a few hours of listening I am very impressed with the clear top paired with the Sylvanias. I have been listening with both my HD650 and my 600ohm DT880. The sound is very exciting with excellent detail, good PRaT, deep well defined bass, smooth extended highs, liquid mids and good soundstage. IMO the RCA clear top paired with the Sylvania Gold Brand
5687s is one of the best combinations with the Raptor.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #439 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using an Amperex 7316 paired with Tung Sol 5687s with very good results. I managed to snag a pair of NOS Slyvania Gold Brand 5687s and first tried them with the Amperex 7316. Boy was that disappointing; lacking in excitement and rolled off in the highs. I had tried an RCA clear top with the Tung Sols and it was very lively but was bright to the point of being fatiguing, so it seemed like it might be a good match with the Sylvanias. After a few hours of listening I am very impressed with the clear top paired with the Sylvanias. I have been listening with both my HD650 and my 600ohm DT880. The sound is very exciting with excellent detail, good PRaT, deep well defined bass, smooth extended highs, liquid mids and good soundstage. IMO the RCA clear top paired with the Sylvania Gold Brand
5687s is one of the best combinations with the Raptor.

Its good to have the Tungsols and GB's around because just about every tube you buy for the rear socket will synergize well with one set of drivers or the other.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #440 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its good to have the Tungsols and GB's around because just about every tube you buy for the rear socket will synergize well with one set of drivers or the other.

Having a B52, I've the impression that finding a quad matched GB set is quite hard atm. Much easier with Tung Sols...

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #441 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a B52, I've the impression that finding a quad matched GB set is quite hard atm. Much easier with Tung Sols...

Definitly get a set of Tungsols and maybe you can peice together 2 pairs of the GB or just hold out till you find a quad.
smile.gif

Does anyone know of an alternative to the GB's? Something smooth and lacking the punch of the Tungsol?

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #442 of 566
I found the best combo AGAIN!!!

Mullard Long Plate Sq Getter + Tungsols = Too much punch and bass weight stomping on the mids.

Mullard Long Plate Sq Getter + Sylvania GB's = Just a tad light and un refined in the bass and a slight veil in the vocals. Much better than the Tungsols though.

Mullard Long Plate Sq Getter + RCA Bronze = Perfection, Amazing bass, clear smooth mids, open smooth highs. WORD!

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #443 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 on the Zana Deux! I heard one this summer and it was really really good. Seemed to work well with pretty much any set of cans I tried it with - K701, HFI780, Grado PS1, HF1. Aside from sounding good, looks really cool too. Only minor drawback is that it puts out a good amount of from its many tubes but not really an issue if I were to get one.

why the switch from the raptor to the extreme?

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #445 of 566
Hey,

I just picked up a long plate Mullard matched trio 12au7, o-getter. Is there a difference between the o-getter and d-getter?

Mine are marked "Heath - by mullard"

Sound amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #447 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHoos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the tube sockets get loose from all the tube rolling you guys do?

Yes and no, when I first got my amp they were tight as hell, but after some use (maybe ten times) they loosened up. After that initial break in they have been the same ever since. Replacing them would be easy if you did have a problem but I have never read about someone needing to replace one, especially a Raptor.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #449 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gonna miss the wonderful amp... The sale is pending as the new owner is only collecting the unit sometime in July 09... I will try to own this amp in the near future if financially affordable...

You getting rid of your Raptor?

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #450 of 566
Yup, the Raptor kinda found its new owner... XTREME MAXED WA6 is on the way here as I type..

I has been a great pleasure learning from you in regards of the Raptor...

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You getting rid of your Raptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back