Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Nov 27, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #226 of 566
Cool, cant wait to hear what those tubes sound like. I just ordered some Sylvania Gold Pin 5687s to go with my Tungsol 12BH7.

I bought some Audioquest King Cobra IC's, they are nice and warm and they dont pick up noise from my computer like my old non shielded cable did.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #228 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am with Amperex 7316 and TungSol 5687s. I wonder what sort of impressions should I be expecting with AKG K702...?

Im not sure, I have the 650 and they are polar oposites. I put a Mullard in the rear socket today, WOW, it sounds good. Best bass impact of the lot and fairly smooth.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #229 of 566
Perhaps I should be asking how does a Raptor synergize with AKG K701 / K702??

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not sure, I have the 650 and they are polar oposites. I put a Mullard in the rear socket today, WOW, it sounds good. Best bass impact of the lot and fairly smooth.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #230 of 566
I tried it with the 701, with the stock tubes, and I didnt like it. I got the impression that the Raptor was having a hard time driving the 701. Perhaps some NOS tubes would help with the over all sound signature but I still noticed distortion at both ends so I cant recommend it.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #233 of 566
As I am from Malaysia, NOS tubes are not easily found unless I rob it from eBay. Well, I just hope that with my current tubes collection, it will do the K702 justice. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for someone to adopt the GS1K...

Quote:

I would do some tube rolling before you spend a lot on cables.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #236 of 566
Quote:

I tried it with the 701, with the stock tubes, and I didnt like it. I got the impression that the Raptor was having a hard time driving the 701. Perhaps some NOS tubes would help with the over all sound signature but I still noticed distortion at both ends so I cant recommend it.

I haven't had any problems driving my 701s with the Raptor. At the moderate listening levels that I use I have experienced no evidence of distortion. I definitely agree that the stock tubes in the Raptor do not synergize well with the 701s, a little too cold and analytical for my tastes. IMO the 701s mate much better with the Raptor with a warm, lush tube with good bass such as a Mullard 12AU7 or an RCA 12BH7 mated with a pair of Tung-Sol 5687s.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #238 of 566
Quote:

I can't wait to receive the RCA 12BH7A from olblueyez....

Hey I was right, it will be nice with your 702's.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #239 of 566
Quote:

I can't wait to receive the RCA 12BH7A from olblueyez....

I think you will like it more than the stock tubes. I am interested to hear what you think of the combination.

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #240 of 566
I will share the impression upon receipt of the tube. Thanks for all the kindness here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you will like it more than the stock tubes. I am interested to hear what you think of the combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back