Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Dec 2, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #241 of 566
OX, your tube is going to the post office tomorrow!
smile.gif

I got some tubes in the mail today and this time I really have reached a new level. All you need is

(1) of these:
12au7mlongae1.jpg

And (2) of these:
56872ga8.jpg

The Mullard is amazing. It has a very crisp, snappy bass as compared to the 12BH7 series tubes which are boomy in the bass department. The mids are amazing, clear, sweet and tremendous decay I have not heard in any other tube. The highs are smooth as can be, but not veiled or rolled off.

I was running the Tung-sol 5687 driver tubes with the Mullard and it was great but I had ordered some Sylvania gold pin 5687's to tame my Tung-sol 12BH7 which is great but a bit unrefined in the upper mids, Next thing I know the Mullard 12AU7 came in and I tried it and fell in love with this tube. Well, today the Sylvania GB 5687 tubes came in and I replaced the Tung-sols. Ever since, I have been listening to tons of music I never though I would listen to again, I have been letting foobar run for hours now without changing the order what so ever. The GB 5687's are less punchy than the tung-sol's and somewhat smoother. I now feel the Tung-sol's are too dynamic and or forward. These Sylvania's really do complement the Mullard and I have a feeling it will be the same with all the other input tubes I have. I will let you all know how it sounds when I combine them with some other gain tubes.
biggrin.gif

If you like ROCK music this tube combo is out of this world!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was able to use more of my Volume Knob with the Sylvania gold pin driver tubes. I also want to say that the internal construction of these tubes is extremely nice, kinda makes the other tubes look crude when comparing the internal bits.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #242 of 566
I really enjoy reading about these tube explorations. I mean I have loved tubes since the 60's and they were our lifeline when I was a radioman in the military as solid state wasn't really up and running yet.

Seeing all these tubes and knowing that I have most of them in NOS but in storage is torment but then I don't have anything to use them in right now. What does make it enjoyable is seeing everyone's enjoyment of what they are getting and the exploration that goes along with it. For some reason a few years back I bought some nice mid 1950's 5687 Tungsols in nos and others, I guess just because I knew they were good and a few years back the price wasn't bad at all. On the 12AU7's, I used to use them so I have all kinds and on it goes.

Ahhh tubes. :^)

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #243 of 566
I'm looking forward to the 12BH7A and is looking at Mullard now.. Checking out eBay as I am typing here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif

I got some tubes in the mail today and this time I really have reached a new level. All you need is

(1) of these:
12au7mlongae1.jpg

And (2) of these:
56872ga8.jpg

The Mullard is amazing. It has a very crisp, snappy bass as compared to the 12BH7 series tubes which are boomy in the bass department. The mids are amazing, clear, sweet and tremendous decay I have not heard in any other tube. The highs are smooth as can be, but not veiled or rolled off.

I was running the Tung-sol 5687 driver tubes with the Mullard and it was great but I had ordered some Sylvania gold pin 5687's to tame my Tung-sol 12BH7 which is great but a bit unrefined in the upper mids, Next thing I know the Mullard 12AU7 came in and I tried it and fell in love with this tube. Well, today the Sylvania GB 5687 tubes came in and I replaced the Tung-sols. Ever since, I have been listening to tons of music I never though I would listen to again, I have been letting foobar run for hours now without changing the order what so ever. The GB 5687's are less punchy than the tung-sol's and somewhat smoother. I now feel the Tung-sol's are too dynamic and or forward. These Sylvania's really do complement the Mullard and I have a feeling it will be the same with all the other input tubes I have. I will let you all know how it sounds when I combine them with some other gain tubes.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #244 of 566
Is that a long plate Mullard? Where did you get the GB Sylvanias? I've been looking for those
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

smile.gif

(1) of these:
12au7mlongae1.jpg

And (2) of these:
56872ga8.jpg

biggrin.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was able to use more of my Volume Knob with the Sylvania gold pin driver tubes.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #245 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a long plate Mullard? Where did you get the GB Sylvanias? I've been looking for those
smily_headphones1.gif

Im not sure Raffy, maybe you can tell me.

mull12au72bu4bck2.jpg

My guess is its a short plate.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #246 of 566
Looks like short plate to me but I might be wrong. I have the same Mullard but yours might be from an older year. Mine only says the word "Mullard" w/o the shield but sounds pretty good too
smily_headphones1.gif

So where did you get the GB Sylvanias?

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #251 of 566
The long plate is 17mm in length and the short is 14mm.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #252 of 566
Quote:

Small world, he seems like a genuine person.

Jim's a really nice guy. He's not really specializing in audio tubes but he does have a decent selection.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #253 of 566
Quote:

Got the GB-5687's at Vacuum Tubes, Inc. Electron Tubes, Radio Tubes, Audio Tubes, Industrial Tubes, Guitar Tubes, Capacitors, Tube Sockets, Tube Testers

30 bucks each.

I forgot, the guy has Tung-Sol 12BH7 tubes for 20 bucks.

I was curious because as far as I know TS never made a 12BH7. Jim @ VT Inc. checked four TS 12BH7 boxes and there were three different tubes .... one GE/ one RCA and two that were likely Hytrons. So, whatever tube you guys are hyping is 99% not likely a TS 12BH7.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #254 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was curious because as far as I know TS never made a 12BH7. Jim @ VT Inc. checked four TS 12BH7 boxes and there were three different tubes .... one GE/ one RCA and two that were likely Hytrons. So, whatever tube you guys are hyping is 99% not likely a TS 12BH7.

What do you call this? Just because some buffoon put the wrong tubes in the right boxes. Here is a link to the Tung sol white papers if you like. http://scottbecker.net/tube/sheets/127/1/12BH7A.pdf

tungsol12bh7a1950s3micans5.jpg

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?...tubes&n=199873

http://tubedata.org/index.html

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #255 of 566
Quote:

What do you call this? Just because some buffoon put the wrong tubes in the right boxes. Here is a link to the Tung sol white papers if you like. http://scottbecker.net/tube/sheets/127/1/12BH7A.pdf

tungsol12bh7a1950s3micans5.jpg

Tubes Asylum: RE: 12BH7A impressions by Len_

Frank's Electron tube Pages

Its called rebranding. The tubes in the boxes were ALL branded TS but clearly were not all made by TS. So four tubes branded TS with one a GE, one RCA and two unknowns; very likely true TS tubes. Tube manufactuers frequently bought tubes from one another and stamped them with their name instead of the actual manufacturers name

You found a data sheet so TS did make them. I didnt find one so I wasnt sure. I had the seller actually look at the tubes. So, thinking you are getting a TS tube just because the box says TS is naive. TS clearly rebranded this tube although they did make the tube too. The real question is how many of what are out there. Are both of your tubes identical?

By the way, the buffon was the seller you mentioned in your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back