Absolute Cheapest Computer Speakers that are Decent Quality
Jun 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #16 of 51
what the hell?

you can make a speaker box in 3 days time if you do a little bit each time before bed.

waiting 3 days to build the box isnt the end of the world.
if you purchase something online you still have to wait 3-4 days for shipping..!

what is really absurd is the fact that you say these speakers are too big for skype.
you dont want 3 inch or 2 inch speakers trying to recreate voices.. they dont have the cone area to move enough air to pronunciate the words.
making it difficult for the people to understand what is being said.

i think the sound card could power an 8 ohm load.. maybe not the best advice i have given, but asking for these kind of options is like having poop smeared all over your legs.. it just shouldnt ever happen.

and i really think that some old thrift store speakers wont be able to handle the power given out by todays receivers (or yesterdays receivers) without burning up the voice coil.. that is why i mentioned them.

as of right now.. my speakers are not in a box whatsoever.
the twelves where causing too much pressure so i had to take two slices of cardboard and cut them into a square & screw the cardboard over the hole.
then i poked a wire in the cardboard and ran the terminal wires through to place the midrange on top of the box.
i re-calibrated my equalizer and havent looked back.

the cones dont move enough to really take advantage of a box.. yes the box might dampen the cone and provide better/worse characterization of the final output, but i dont play with that much sound pressure to notice or need such a thing.
any bass that would come out of a bass reflex box for the midranges would immediately be drown out by the twelve inch woofers.. so i believe i have made a solid decision for my situation.

listening to my midranges with your ear right up to them clearly notes that the speakers are being used with a crossover because they dont have much bass at all.. they sound like 'tin' or 'aluminum' until you step back and give the 3-way set a chance to blend in together.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 51

Quote:
what the hell?

Now now, no point in that language.

you can make a speaker box in 3 days time if you do a little bit each time before bed.

waiting 3 days to build the box isnt the end of the world.
if you purchase something online you still have to wait 3-4 days for shipping..!

But it's more convenient. The OP might have a life and be tired before going to bed.

what is really absurd is the fact that you say these speakers are too big for skype.
you dont want 3 inch or 2 inch speakers trying to recreate voices.. they dont have the cone area to move enough air to pronunciate the words.
making it difficult for the people to understand what is being said.

No? They work. Not as well as bigger speakers, but that's obvious. And there are tradeoffs. I was going to use the Linkwitz Pluto as an example, but I forgot the 5 inch driver was also a midrange.

i think the sound card could power an 8 ohm load.. maybe not the best advice i have given, but asking for these kind of options is like having poop smeared all over your legs.. it just shouldnt ever happen.

I wanted to stop reading on after reading this. Not too sure why I didn't. Why these disgusting metaphors?

and i really think that some old thrift store speakers wont be able to handle the power given out by todays receivers (or yesterdays receivers) without burning up the voice coil.. that is why i mentioned them.

Not really. Thrift store speakers tend to need power. IME. Says the guy that's seen 3 way speakers and the occasional AMT speaker (Not too sure how they know market price for them; would have gotten them if they weren't a silly price.). And much more.

as of right now.. my speakers are not in a box whatsoever.
the twelves where causing too much pressure so i had to take two slices of cardboard and cut them into a square & screw the cardboard over the hole.
then i poked a wire in the cardboard and ran the terminal wires through to place the midrange on top of the box.
i re-calibrated my equalizer and havent looked back.

Wait what...? So...open baffle? No, wait never mind it doesn't seem so.

the cones dont move enough to really take advantage of a box.. yes the box might dampen the cone and provide better/worse characterization of the final output, but i dont play with that much sound pressure to notice or need such a thing.
any bass that would come out of a bass reflex box for the midranges would immediately be drown out by the twelve inch woofers.. so i believe i have made a solid decision for my situation.

...obviously. The larger magnets create more/lower bass. It's a consequence of larger magnets.

listening to my midranges with your ear right up to them clearly notes that the speakers are being used with a crossover because they dont have much bass at all.. they sound like 'tin' or 'aluminum' until you step back and give the 3-way set a chance to blend in together.

That's kind of the point of a midrange? We don't call them bassranges.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 51
Dear Anwaypasible,

There are low end speakers that aren't bad.

Some people prefer the speed/service/small form factor of store bought speakers.

The goal here is NOT the best sound quality, and he said that.  It's just decent, cheap speakers that would work better than a bargain-bin 10 year old set, like most people have.

There is no room to defend your point.  That first post was completely outside the realm of his question.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 51

there is plenty of room for a point.. for starters, this is head-fi not head on down to the flea-market.

and upholding simple mathematical choices that qualify individuals for different insurance premiums and other 'benefits'
an ill choice is not going to be changed by the likes of you.

i have put in a lot of time and effort into my post, and for you to come along and get gleeful with a sour opinion is rude.
thats like typing away on a keyboard for an hour only to have someone unplug the computer before you had a chance to save it.

continuing to not only approve of but suggesting ill choices are anything worth defending will have your mental thought procedure in need of an evaluation.

you are neglecting to see a bigger picture and instead you would rather start some sort of flaming argument.

this person who started the post is hoping to find a deal on speakers at kmart or walmart or officemax where the prices are inflated?
why hasnt this person checked the local classified section of the newspaper?
or why hasnt this person gone to local computer repair shops to see what they have in stock?
what about ebay or craigslist?
tigerdirect and compusa both have retail stores available.. why not use the store locator function on their website?

drilling me into a corner and offering me no way to continue trying is really humane of you.
and telling these kids to spend $300-$400 for someone to build them a box is disgusting.
i've seen pre-built boxes sell for $90 a pair.
we are in the midst of a recession and you'd like to defend people purchasing products from companies who are struggling to make a profit.

you might as well be giving these kids a piezo buzzer and telling them to have at it for $30-$60

i am open enough to realize that the original poster might be wanting an 'elite pick' from a price area, but that person didnt have the DECENCY to give us a price range.

and furthermore, the people arent going to give a quality review.. they are only going to say 'my speaker blew one week after i got them'
or
'my volume knob broke off after a month'

otherwise the same dumb 'they sound okay' simply because the speakers turn on and function is what has been given.

it is vary rare to see anybody have more than one set of computer speakers to compare side by side.

i tried to be honest and loving when i said 3inch or smaller speakers arent big enough to reproduce vocals.. but instead of seeing the truth in the equation, someone posted and said 'as long as they turn on and function everything is okay, no matter what size is used'
and that isnt true at all.

we have all seen the cheap silver coned speakers available for ipods..?
i am betting there are 57 different flavors of that speaker.. just like the heinz ketchup.
china / taiwan / hong kong / asia / usa - all places that have companies with a box full of the junk (and probably a different sound characteristic each)

i'd have to suggest that you are trolling the thread and being abusive saying things like 'that first post was outside the realm of his question'
considering we dont have enough details to ever say something like that.

some of ya'll havent provided the full frequency spectrum and this is an audiophile forum.. hence the 'head-FI'

for all we know, you might have stocks in these companies and are only trying to make a dollar by selling something from the company/brand that you hold stock in.

if you want to come to an audiophile forum and bash the advice about speaker cone size not properly able to deliver vocals.. well then that is idiocentric and is going to affect your status of social habitance.

we have tried to provide an advanced setup for very little money and we were not thanked.
we tried to provide advanced knowledge of speaker characteristics and arguments broke out.
we tried asking why the person didnt try other common places to shop and we were not answered.

the post lacks detail when seeking information and that alone is enough to wipe someones
name off of a college scholarship list or grant money list.

there are millions of people in this world and you are not going to brainwash them into making a bad financial decision as long as i can see through it.

so how bout you go register another name and wait six months down the road to get some other high quality advice from me since you have ruined your current screen name.
Quote:
Dear Anwaypasible,

There are low end speakers that aren't bad.

Some people prefer the speed/service/small form factor of store bought speakers.

The goal here is NOT the best sound quality, and he said that.  It's just decent, cheap speakers that would work better than a bargain-bin 10 year old set, like most people have.

There is no room to defend your point.  That first post was completely outside the realm of his question.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 51
Quote:
there is plenty of room for a point.. for starters, this is head-fi not head on down to the flea-market.

and upholding simple mathematical choices that qualify individuals for different insurance premiums and other 'benefits'
an ill choice is not going to be changed by the likes of you.

i have put in a lot of time and effort into my post, and for you to come along and get gleeful with a sour opinion is rude.
thats like typing away on a keyboard for an hour only to have someone unplug the computer before you had a chance to save it.

continuing to not only approve of but suggesting ill choices are anything worth defending will have your mental thought procedure in need of an evaluation.

you are neglecting to see a bigger picture and instead you would rather start some sort of flaming argument.

this person who started the post is hoping to find a deal on speakers at kmart or walmart or officemax where the prices are inflated?
why hasnt this person checked the local classified section of the newspaper?
or why hasnt this person gone to local computer repair shops to see what they have in stock?
what about ebay or craigslist?
tigerdirect and compusa both have retail stores available.. why not use the store locator function on their website?

drilling me into a corner and offering me no way to continue trying is really humane of you.
and telling these kids to spend $300-$400 for someone to build them a box is disgusting.
i've seen pre-built boxes sell for $90 a pair.
we are in the midst of a recession and you'd like to defend people purchasing products from companies who are struggling to make a profit.

you might as well be giving these kids a piezo buzzer and telling them to have at it for $30-$60

i am open enough to realize that the original poster might be wanting an 'elite pick' from a price area, but that person didnt have the DECENCY to give us a price range.

and furthermore, the people arent going to give a quality review.. they are only going to say 'my speaker blew one week after i got them'
or
'my volume knob broke off after a month'

otherwise the same dumb 'they sound okay' simply because the speakers turn on and function is what has been given.

it is vary rare to see anybody have more than one set of computer speakers to compare side by side.

i tried to be honest and loving when i said 3inch or smaller speakers arent big enough to reproduce vocals.. but instead of seeing the truth in the equation, someone posted and said 'as long as they turn on and function everything is okay, no matter what size is used'
and that isnt true at all.

we have all seen the cheap silver coned speakers available for ipods..?
i am betting there are 57 different flavors of that speaker.. just like the heinz ketchup.
china / taiwan / hong kong / asia / usa - all places that have companies with a box full of the junk (and probably a different sound characteristic each)

i'd have to suggest that you are trolling the thread and being abusive saying things like 'that first post was outside the realm of his question'
considering we dont have enough details to ever say something like that.

some of ya'll havent provided the full frequency spectrum and this is an audiophile forum.. hence the 'head-FI'

for all we know, you might have stocks in these companies and are only trying to make a dollar by selling something from the company/brand that you hold stock in.

if you want to come to an audiophile forum and bash the advice about speaker cone size not properly able to deliver vocals.. well then that is idiocentric and is going to affect your status of social habitance.

we have tried to provide an advanced setup for very little money and we were not thanked.
we tried to provide advanced knowledge of speaker characteristics and arguments broke out.
we tried asking why the person didnt try other common places to shop and we were not answered.

the post lacks detail when seeking information and that alone is enough to wipe someones
name off of a college scholarship list or grant money list.

there are millions of people in this world and you are not going to brainwash them into making a bad financial decision as long as i can see through it.

so how bout you go register another name and wait six months down the road to get some other high quality advice from me since you have ruined your current screen name.

You're aware that Head-Fi is particularly about high end HEADPHONES, not necessarily speakers, right?

You're aware that this was for his PARENTS, who don't care as much for quality as we might, right?

You're aware that low-end manufactured speakers aren't as bad as you're trying to make them out to be, right?

You're aware that you're massively overcomplicating a minor problem, and now trying to defend yourself, and only making YOUR name seem worse, right?

You're aware that most of your posts are totally unreadable due to the lack of intelligent structuring and thought, nevermind the grammar and spelling mistakes, right?

You're aware that everyone but yourself is calling you wrong in this situation, right?

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 51
to your unkind avail..
head-fi is about audiophile sound used by the ear(s) on your head.

this is one majestic flag that determines your small-minded attempts at being a bully.

your sentence structure thereafter is further childish.

i do indeed see clearly how you have pissed on someones parade.. which might as well be another majestic flag to determine your adolescent mentality.

i need not to conclude that although your behavior comes across as 9-14 years of age, you can really ruin your future talking trash on the internet.

and just to be thorough..
having the energy to fulfill sentences like 'everyone but you' when you are the only person talking, well this kind of behavior substantially adds to a catastrophic mental endeavor.

private investigators and spys make a living off of idiots like you.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #22 of 51
Yikes, time for everybody to chill out.

To the original poster, can you give us an approximate budget? any space restrictions? How big of a room?

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #23 of 51
Very cheap speakers. Creative A60. Not as good as the T20s but I got them brand new. FANTASTIC SOUND for $10-$20.

Try not to get USB powered speakers. They tend to be underpowered and sound tinny. Easily overextends too.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
to your unkind avail..

Not really, hence Canjam and not Audiofest.

this is one majestic flag that determines your small-minded attempts at being a bully.

??? Who's bullying? We're not really making fun of you. Just making you know what you said is overkill.

Sentence structure doesn't really have to do with content as much as grammar. Try capitalization and apostrophes for a start.

i do indeed see clearly how you have pissed on someones parade.. which might as well be another majestic flag to determine your adolescent mentality.

Who's parade? The OP said himself the below

i need not to conclude that although your behavior comes across as 9-14 years of age, you can really ruin your future talking trash on the internet.

Not really, he answered rather maturely. This is from a 15 year old talking. Don't make generalizations.

having the energy to fulfill sentences like 'everyone but you' when you are the only person talking, well this kind of behavior substantially adds to a catastrophic mental endeavor.

Not really.

...? Haha

Quote:
What are u talking about did you even read my post? i just need speakers for my parents computer. i am buying it for them. is this forum the twilight zone of head-fi? i never asked for a surround sound system; i just thought id ask for some advice on budget stereo speakers to hook directly into my parents computer. They just use skype and such.. wow.

Anyways, I'm out.

Hope you find something for your parents! I still stand by my suggestion.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:
to your unkind avail..

I'm not really bullying/trolling.  You were over the top, got corrected, then got pissy.

It's great that you used lots of big words in there, but I wasn't picking on your vocabulary.  In fact, my vocabulary in regular circumstances isn't too extensive or varied either.  I was picking on your lack of paragraphing, hitting enter, capitals, and punctuations.  Which, albeit a low blow, did make me glance over your posts, instead of fully reading them.

I'm not a child, nor am I acting like a child.  My name won't be tarnished much, if at all, from this encounter, I'm sure.  You're the one with the veiled threat of using a private investigator to find my real name, not I.

By the by, it's Nathan Cordeiro... or a dump truck made by Renault.  I can google myself too.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #30 of 51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back