Absolute Cheapest Computer Speakers that are Decent Quality
Jun 28, 2010 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy some powered speakers for my parents desktop. Can you guys suggest some models? They just need to be ok. They are by no means audiophiles. Just something that works. Real cheap but good quality build so theyll last. Thanks! Oh and places to buy would be appreciated as well.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 51
if you are unwilling to listen to honest advice.. you are going to be presented with a bunch of pre-built nonsense that is overpriced.

i think people who demand the pre-built products are asking their parents to wipe their butt well after age 7.

there are alternatives.. and most people wont take the alternative route until somebody actually does it and other people hear the alternative to decide for themselves that it was a better choice.

two 5.25 peerless woofers for $30
http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

these woofers are used in these two speakers
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/54/index2.html
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/speaker-systems/nht-vt-2.4-multi-channel-speaker-system.html

the center channel uses two of these woofers and cost $450
so if you built a bookshelf speaker that uses only one - wouldnt that mean each speaker is worth $250 ??!!

two cerwin vega 2-way crossovers $16
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerwin-Vega-2-Way-Cross-Over-In-Pairs-/360275760844?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53e21bd6cc

two of these vifa tweeters $39
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=1087&osCsid=1c7c5aa1e95db02d49ba9d9b0e21faa5

i am at $85
you can find some wood in the garbage for free.
people throw out things made of wood and particle board all the time.
old computer desks.. old entertainment centers that have began to lean really bad.. counter-tops

what ever scrap material you use.. could be plywood, particle board, 2x4 glued & sealed (probably heavy though..hehe)
you can grab some spray paint and paint 'em so nobody can tell what they are made out of.

now my amplifier recommendation might be a bad choice.. i really am too lazy to test this out for myself, but i do have one.

try to find a used klipsch promedia 2.1 amplifier/subwoofer (with or without the bookshelf speakers.. because without the bookshelf speakers - it is cheaper)
these things are all over ebay for various prices.
hell, you could purchase one of these units and use the speakers that come with it until you find enough wood to make the boxes for the other speakers.

something fantastic about the klipsch promedia 2.1 amplifier is that the outputs are already crossed over for the subwoofer and the midrange (there is another crossover inside the bookshelf speaker for the tweeter)
what this means is, you will have a three-way system that gets well down to 30hz
these pre-built bookshelf speakers that 'audiophiles' are using might make some very faint noises at around 30hz.. but your subwoofer will blast out audio at 30hz with lots of authority.

its like going from a needle drop in a dead silent room to a person out in public that is talking and shouting way too loud because they are being gay and having fun.

i have a receiver that has a rear channel that isnt working.. so what i did was pulled out my old klipsch promedia 2.1 subwoofer and hooked it up to my soundcard.. then instead of using the bookshelf speakers that came with the klipsch set, i am using some old sony speakers that have a 6.5 inch woofer in a big bass reflex box (the tweeters blew out and i replaced them with some onkyo tweeters that fit the existing hole on ebay for dirt cheap)
now i have rear speakers again for when i am playing my video games or watching a movie with surround sound.

and what i was trying to say is.. the bash amp might rob some of the superb clarity from the speakers i am trying to have you build.
the specification on the amp says there is 5% total harmonic distortion and my sony woofers arent superb midranges.. they are actually some decent mid-bass speakers that i had hooked up in my moms trunk with 110 watts rms going to each speaker and someone told me that it sounded like i had a single 10 inch sub in there.
the car was a hatchback and the speakers made the license plate rattle and the rear view mirror wiggle a little bit.. so you should be able to visualize that there was some sound pressure going on.
the only bad thing about 'em is that they are in a box tuned in the 30-40hz range and not the 20-30hz area.

i am actually thinking about taking those speakers out and swapping them with some peerless mid's and making a new box for the sony speakers with a lower tuned port.. then i could use the sony speakers for a dedicated subwoofer to give some additional effort towards my two twelve inch woofers that i have for the front stage.

so.. $85 for the speakers (screws are $3.. and glue is another $3 or $5)
$91 + whatever it costs for the klipsch 2.1 (probably get a used one for $70) = $161
but remember.. the two speakers are worth about $225 each!! and then there is the fact that you have a dedicated subwoofer added to your system.
so that is like reading about these people with 'studio bookshelf' speakers and they are posting because they want a subwoofer for more bass.
and that is because the bass that those speakers put out is 'lite' and you have to listen for it rather than the bass being loud enough for you to say that it is loud enough where you cant avoid it.

anyways.. i dont think you will find a better amp for that price range.
you would be extra special lucky to find an old receiver that doesnt sound like 'brown' color being added to the sound.
most of the receivers from the past didnt sound good when they were new.. and many of them are not designed to get better with age.
the components inside are starting to dry up and evaporate like a puddle of water on the asphalt.
and in reality.. you could easily say that most recievers sound like they have a 3-band graphic equalizer with the bass all the way up / the midrange on the middle setting / and the treble all the way up.
(although some receivers have the bass and midrange on the middle setting with the treble all the way up.... and some other receivers have the midrange and treble on the middle with the bass all the way up to fool you into thinking there is ample amounts of power across the frequency spectrum being applied)

i cannot lie when i tell you that there are a bunch of sony recievers from the 2000 era that have quite a linear amplifier (although some people know that the amp is weak.. but it is linear)
and also.. those people fail to mention that the amplifier is only weak when used in surround sound mode.. if you put the amp into dedicated stereo mode, the amp isnt so weak anymore and is quite a bargain for stereo use.

i remember the pioneer receivers from the 1990's and they sounded just like any technic receiver except that the treble was more detailed with the pioneer receivers.
all bass and treble with no midrange and vocal ability.
the sony receivers from the 1990 era are 'toys' also.. and they have dips and peaks in the frequency spectrum too.. so avoid 'em.

people are really weird nowadays..
you could make some speaker boxes out of popscicle sticks with cardboard behind (on the insides to make the box more stiff so that it wont vibrate and bend as much)
you would have to make the popscicle sticks sideways or in the shape of ^ because one popscicle stick isnt wide enough for a 5.25 inch speaker.
you would need a lot of cheap glue to fill in the gaps and to make sure that each popscicle stick is completely glued to the cardboard.. but the end result should hold the tweeter up at the top with no problem... and i would put some cardboard in between the midrange magnet and the bottom of the speaker box to keep the speaker from making the front of the speaker box bend/collapse.

i dont consider anything above strange at all.. i have seen some very adorable grahm-cracker houses around christmas time.
we always started with an old milk box (the ones like the schools pass out)
then we just glued the grahm crackers onto the milk carton and decorated the outside with candy and frosting and glitter.. maybe attach some bushes on the outside or use a piece of cardboard and do the entire front yard and backyard with bushes and a tree or hotwheels/matchbox car.

the results are only as bad as the effort you put into them.
when you build a box.. you have to make sure it is the right size.. sometimes it doesnt matter if it is square or rectangle.. just as long as there is enough 'space' inside the box.

then there are simple rules like..
dont try to cut a straight line with a jigsaw.. jigsaws are made for cutting circles (it can take up to 5 whole minutes to make one slow and steady cut with a jigsaw that is straight enough for a box)
a table saw is the best because you can use the guide to make absolutely certain that the cut is straight as a razor.
a circular saw is kinda like a table saw.. but if you dont take the time and care while you are using it.. the end result wont be straight and trying to put the sides of a box together with edges that arent straight is going to require a lot of glue to fill in the gaps (and it wont look good at all)

use a drill bit to make a hole prior to shoving a screw through the wood so that the wood doesnt crack and split (you might have to start all over again if the wood splits)
if you dont have a drill bit.. use a hammer and skinny nail (just yank the nail out and use it again if you can)

i was using the klipsch promedia 2.1 as a subwoofer connected to my home theater receiver's subwoofer rca out (which is the LFE channel)
but i grew tired of people sneaking up on me from behind while i was playing video games.. so i put the rear speakers into action.

the difference between those who laugh at such attempts is..
the people who wait and save up a whole bunch of money so they can buy something already built and done for them.
compared to those that didnt have to wait very long and didnt have to spend very much PLUS they are getting some action because they didnt have to wait to save up the money.

and do i need to mention that those speakers are worth $250 each.. making a pair cost $450

you will see posts on this forum with people talking about speakers already built that range in cost of $150 - $350
and they have NO SUBWOOFER (and some of them dont come with an amplifier)

for $85 you can get in the race.

of course.. there are some cheaper speakers out there.. but they sound terrible (there arent any 'they dont last very long' options in the very cheap price range)

$85 build your own box

$450 have the box already built for you

spending $365 for someone to build the box for you is a whole bunch of money.
i dont spend that much money on groceries for the entire month.

and that is just like going to the junk yard and purchasing a car with no engine for $500 and then get yourself one of those rebuilt engines off ebay for $3,000.
the engine comes with a 3 year / unlimited mile warranty. these engines have very high compression and run like they are 2011 fresh off the showroom floor (as long as the transmission is good)
you might have some wheel bearings that need replaced so the car rolls 'like-new'
but sagging suspension and aged rubber bushings arent the same 'quick-fix'
(but some people know how to change front struts with a long piece of wood from a railroad track and that makes fixing the suspension about $120 for the front and another $120 for the rear)
the rubber bushings are a different battle altogether, usually requiring at least $60 per side for one or two pieces of rubber (its ugly.. but you may find the old bushings smoother or responsive compared to the new ones)

the long post basically says purchasing everything pre-built rather than finding the parts piece by piece is expensive and the original post asked for absolute cheapest.
the original post also asked for decent quality and i own a pair of the speakers suggested above.. so i am certain that they meet the 'decent quality' needs of the topic.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 51
What are u talking about did you even read my post? i just need speakers for my parents computer. i am buying it for them. is this forum the twilight zone of head-fi? i never asked for a surround sound system; i just thought id ask for some advice on budget stereo speakers to hook directly into my parents computer. They just use skype and such.. wow.

Quote:
if you are unwilling to listen to honest advice.. you are going to be presented with a bunch of pre-built nonsense that is overpriced.

i think people who demand the pre-built products are asking their parents to wipe their butt well after age 7.

there are alternatives.. and most people wont take the alternative route until somebody actually does it and other people hear the alternative to decide for themselves that it was a better choice.

two 5.25 peerless woofers for $30
http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

these woofers are used in these two speakers
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/54/index2.html
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/speaker-systems/nht-vt-2.4-multi-channel-speaker-system.html

the center channel uses two of these woofers and cost $450
so if you built a bookshelf speaker that uses only one - wouldnt that mean each speaker is worth $250 ??!!

two cerwin vega 2-way crossovers $16
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerwin-Vega-2-Way-Cross-Over-In-Pairs-/360275760844?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53e21bd6cc

two of these vifa tweeters $39
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=1087&osCsid=1c7c5aa1e95db02d49ba9d9b0e21faa5

i am at $85
you can find some wood in the garbage for free.
people throw out things made of wood and particle board all the time.
old computer desks.. old entertainment centers that have began to lean really bad.. counter-tops

what ever scrap material you use.. could be plywood, particle board, 2x4 glued & sealed (probably heavy though..hehe)
you can grab some spray paint and paint 'em so nobody can tell what they are made out of.

now my amplifier recommendation might be a bad choice.. i really am too lazy to test this out for myself, but i do have one.

try to find a used klipsch promedia 2.1 amplifier/subwoofer (with or without the bookshelf speakers.. because without the bookshelf speakers - it is cheaper)
these things are all over ebay for various prices.
hell, you could purchase one of these units and use the speakers that come with it until you find enough wood to make the boxes for the other speakers.

something fantastic about the klipsch promedia 2.1 amplifier is that the outputs are already crossed over for the subwoofer and the midrange (there is another crossover inside the bookshelf speaker for the tweeter)
what this means is, you will have a three-way system that gets well down to 30hz
these pre-built bookshelf speakers that 'audiophiles' are using might make some very faint noises at around 30hz.. but your subwoofer will blast out audio at 30hz with lots of authority.

its like going from a needle drop in a dead silent room to a person out in public that is talking and shouting way too loud because they are being gay and having fun.

i have a receiver that has a rear channel that isnt working.. so what i did was pulled out my old klipsch promedia 2.1 subwoofer and hooked it up to my soundcard.. then instead of using the bookshelf speakers that came with the klipsch set, i am using some old sony speakers that have a 6.5 inch woofer in a big bass reflex box (the tweeters blew out and i replaced them with some onkyo tweeters that fit the existing hole on ebay for dirt cheap)
now i have rear speakers again for when i am playing my video games or watching a movie with surround sound.

and what i was trying to say is.. the bash amp might rob some of the superb clarity from the speakers i am trying to have you build.
the specification on the amp says there is 5% total harmonic distortion and my sony woofers arent superb midranges.. they are actually some decent mid-bass speakers that i had hooked up in my moms trunk with 110 watts rms going to each speaker and someone told me that it sounded like i had a single 10 inch sub in there.
the car was a hatchback and the speakers made the license plate rattle and the rear view mirror wiggle a little bit.. so you should be able to visualize that there was some sound pressure going on.
the only bad thing about 'em is that they are in a box tuned in the 30-40hz range and not the 20-30hz area.

i am actually thinking about taking those speakers out and swapping them with some peerless mid's and making a new box for the sony speakers with a lower tuned port.. then i could use the sony speakers for a dedicated subwoofer to give some additional effort towards my two twelve inch woofers that i have for the front stage.

so.. $85 for the speakers (screws are $3.. and glue is another $3 or $5)
$91 + whatever it costs for the klipsch 2.1 (probably get a used one for $70) = $161
but remember.. the two speakers are worth about $225 each!! and then there is the fact that you have a dedicated subwoofer added to your system.
so that is like reading about these people with 'studio bookshelf' speakers and they are posting because they want a subwoofer for more bass.
and that is because the bass that those speakers put out is 'lite' and you have to listen for it rather than the bass being loud enough for you to say that it is loud enough where you cant avoid it.

anyways.. i dont think you will find a better amp for that price range.
you would be extra special lucky to find an old receiver that doesnt sound like 'brown' color being added to the sound.
most of the receivers from the past didnt sound good when they were new.. and many of them are not designed to get better with age.
the components inside are starting to dry up and evaporate like a puddle of water on the asphalt.
and in reality.. you could easily say that most recievers sound like they have a 3-band graphic equalizer with the bass all the way up / the midrange on the middle setting / and the treble all the way up.
(although some receivers have the bass and midrange on the middle setting with the treble all the way up.... and some other receivers have the midrange and treble on the middle with the bass all the way up to fool you into thinking there is ample amounts of power across the frequency spectrum being applied)

i cannot lie when i tell you that there are a bunch of sony recievers from the 2000 era that have quite a linear amplifier (although some people know that the amp is weak.. but it is linear)
and also.. those people fail to mention that the amplifier is only weak when used in surround sound mode.. if you put the amp into dedicated stereo mode, the amp isnt so weak anymore and is quite a bargain for stereo use.

i remember the pioneer receivers from the 1990's and they sounded just like any technic receiver except that the treble was more detailed with the pioneer receivers.
all bass and treble with no midrange and vocal ability.
the sony receivers from the 1990 era are 'toys' also.. and they have dips and peaks in the frequency spectrum too.. so avoid 'em.

people are really weird nowadays..
you could make some speaker boxes out of popscicle sticks with cardboard behind (on the insides to make the box more stiff so that it wont vibrate and bend as much)
you would have to make the popscicle sticks sideways or in the shape of ^ because one popscicle stick isnt wide enough for a 5.25 inch speaker.
you would need a lot of cheap glue to fill in the gaps and to make sure that each popscicle stick is completely glued to the cardboard.. but the end result should hold the tweeter up at the top with no problem... and i would put some cardboard in between the midrange magnet and the bottom of the speaker box to keep the speaker from making the front of the speaker box bend/collapse.

i dont consider anything above strange at all.. i have seen some very adorable grahm-cracker houses around christmas time.
we always started with an old milk box (the ones like the schools pass out)
then we just glued the grahm crackers onto the milk carton and decorated the outside with candy and frosting and glitter.. maybe attach some bushes on the outside or use a piece of cardboard and do the entire front yard and backyard with bushes and a tree or hotwheels/matchbox car.

the results are only as bad as the effort you put into them.
when you build a box.. you have to make sure it is the right size.. sometimes it doesnt matter if it is square or rectangle.. just as long as there is enough 'space' inside the box.

then there are simple rules like..
dont try to cut a straight line with a jigsaw.. jigsaws are made for cutting circles (it can take up to 5 whole minutes to make one slow and steady cut with a jigsaw that is straight enough for a box)
a table saw is the best because you can use the guide to make absolutely certain that the cut is straight as a razor.
a circular saw is kinda like a table saw.. but if you dont take the time and care while you are using it.. the end result wont be straight and trying to put the sides of a box together with edges that arent straight is going to require a lot of glue to fill in the gaps (and it wont look good at all)

use a drill bit to make a hole prior to shoving a screw through the wood so that the wood doesnt crack and split (you might have to start all over again if the wood splits)
if you dont have a drill bit.. use a hammer and skinny nail (just yank the nail out and use it again if you can)

i was using the klipsch promedia 2.1 as a subwoofer connected to my home theater receiver's subwoofer rca out (which is the LFE channel)
but i grew tired of people sneaking up on me from behind while i was playing video games.. so i put the rear speakers into action.

the difference between those who laugh at such attempts is..
the people who wait and save up a whole bunch of money so they can buy something already built and done for them.
compared to those that didnt have to wait very long and didnt have to spend very much PLUS they are getting some action because they didnt have to wait to save up the money.

and do i need to mention that those speakers are worth $250 each.. making a pair cost $450

you will see posts on this forum with people talking about speakers already built that range in cost of $150 - $350
and they have NO SUBWOOFER (and some of them dont come with an amplifier)

for $85 you can get in the race.

of course.. there are some cheaper speakers out there.. but they sound terrible (there arent any 'they dont last very long' options in the very cheap price range)

$85 build your own box

$450 have the box already built for you

spending $365 for someone to build the box for you is a whole bunch of money.
i dont spend that much money on groceries for the entire month.

and that is just like going to the junk yard and purchasing a car with no engine for $500 and then get yourself one of those rebuilt engines off ebay for $3,000.
the engine comes with a 3 year / unlimited mile warranty. these engines have very high compression and run like they are 2011 fresh off the showroom floor (as long as the transmission is good)
you might have some wheel bearings that need replaced so the car rolls 'like-new'
but sagging suspension and aged rubber bushings arent the same 'quick-fix'
(but some people know how to change front struts with a long piece of wood from a railroad track and that makes fixing the suspension about $120 for the front and another $120 for the rear)
the rubber bushings are a different battle altogether, usually requiring at least $60 per side for one or two pieces of rubber (its ugly.. but you may find the old bushings smoother or responsive compared to the new ones)

the long post basically says purchasing everything pre-built rather than finding the parts piece by piece is expensive and the original post asked for absolute cheapest.
the original post also asked for decent quality and i own a pair of the speakers suggested above.. so i am certain that they meet the 'decent quality' needs of the topic.

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 51
Joseph I would suggest the Swan M10 Speaker system from The Audio Insider. The other post by that member would be a great speaker system to make but would require money,time, and effort.

Are you looking for a 2.0 system or a 2.1 system?

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 51
Wow, your reply to that second post was awesome.

I like Logitech products, for their low end speakers.  An X-140 can be had for around $25-30.  The Edifier R18 is a similar, albeit larger solution in silver, if that fits better.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 51

Quote:
Wow, your reply to that third post was awesome.

I like Logitech products, for their low end speakers.  An X-140 can be had for around $25-30.  The Edifier R18 is a similar, albeit larger solution in silver, if that fits better.

I guess he just responded to that WALL of text....
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 51
In the $30-50 range you can pick up some cheap Logitech speakers. $100 will get you the M-Audio AV30 or AV40 if you find a sale.

Walmart has these cheap little flat panel speakers for $20 that use usb for power. Not the greatest sound, but they're tiny and don't need a wall wart for power. I got a set for my mom and she loves them since they can literally pack up inside a pencil case and provide more than enough volume for her office.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 51
I used to use a pair of Creative T20 speakers before I joined Head-Fi. Though they are a little mid heavy, they look nice, are compact, and produce really quite a fantastic sound especially if you haven't got really high quality equipment to compare to. They will most probably be better then any similar Logitech units, which always sound boomy to me, and they have a nice quality, solid construction feel to them.

They are especially great for music and normal PC use, though the lack of a real woofer means that there is a lack of bass impact for games.

I'm not sure where you can buy them in the states except amazon, though you could hunt around. 

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-GigaWorks-Multimedia-Technology/dp/B001RNOHDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277861510&sr=8-1

Hope that helps! I lent my pair (the older original series) to a friend, who was actually blown away coming from the terrible pack-in speakers that came with his HP office PC.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 51

Quote:
Wow, your reply to that second post was awesome.

I second this, both parts. The X-140 sounds passable, good enough for the usage your parents will give it.

And the guy doesn't dampen his speakers...?

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 51
Although the AV30 and AV40 are great speakers I have not been satisfied of M-Audio's customer support. They replaced my speakers that went out with a beaten up pair that did not look nearly as good as a brand new pair. I talked to them again and they sent me another pair, this time only the right speaker worked. damn, not good at all. I don't think Joseph wanted to spend $100 to start out with.

I would go with the Edifier R18

Quote:
In the $30-50 range you can pick up some cheap Logitech speakers. $100 will get you the M-Audio AV30 or AV40 if you find a sale.

Walmart has these cheap little flat panel speakers for $20 that use usb for power. Not the greatest sound, but they're tiny and don't need a wall wart for power. I got a set for my mom and she loves them since they can literally pack up inside a pencil case and provide more than enough volume for her office.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 51
well dont be the idiot to purchase this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2253877

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-Mini-Portable-Stereo-Speaker-iPod-iPhone-MP3-/370396698662?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item563d5d1826

those midranges can be wired up to the computers soundcard without an amp and you will get audio.
why not buy the speakers and then purchase the other parts piece by piece later on?

to be honest, i am not 100% certain that there was any rude reply directed towards me.
you can get some audiophile speakers for $30 and then use a headphone jack with stereo wires come off to wire up the speakers.. then just place the speakers on the desk.

maybe you hate your parents and you wish for them to listen to tweeters all day long while they play on the computer.
those speakers dont last as you said in your original post 'something that will last'

why havent you bid on something off of ebay for 99 cents ??!~

why havent you purchased a pair of headphones for dirt cheap ?

try your local second hand thrift stores.. sometimes if they also carry furniture or kitchen appliances.. you might find an old pair of speakers that can be driven off of the computers soundcard.

purchasing something 'just to get by' is not a wise choice and is an extremely huge market for people to lose money on junk.
and when i say junk.. i mean the stuff doesnt / shouldnt even work when you get it home.

the very first thing i said was LISTEN.
i dont understand why the idea of having speakers from a $450 center channel at a price of $30 is worth passing by since you are in the situation of purchasing some speakers.

maybe you need this website instead:
www.madisound.com

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 51

Quote:
well dont be the idiot to purchase this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2253877

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-Mini-Portable-Stereo-Speaker-iPod-iPhone-MP3-/370396698662?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item563d5d1826

those midranges can be wired up to the computers soundcard without an amp and you will get audio.
why not buy the speakers and then purchase the other parts piece by piece later on?

to be honest, i am not 100% certain that there was any rude reply directed towards me.
you can get some audiophile speakers for $30 and then use a headphone jack with stereo wires come off to wire up the speakers.. then just place the speakers on the desk.

maybe you hate your parents and you wish for them to listen to tweeters all day long while they play on the computer.
those speakers dont last as you said in your original post 'something that will last'

why havent you bid on something off of ebay for 99 cents ??!~

why havent you purchased a pair of headphones for dirt cheap ?

try your local second hand thrift stores.. sometimes if they also carry furniture or kitchen appliances.. you might find an old pair of speakers that can be driven off of the computers soundcard.

purchasing something 'just to get by' is not a wise choice and is an extremely huge market for people to lose money on junk.
and when i say junk.. i mean the stuff doesnt / shouldnt even work when you get it home.

the very first thing i said was LISTEN.
i dont understand why the idea of having speakers from a $450 center channel at a price of $30 is worth passing by since you are in the situation of purchasing some speakers.

maybe you need this website instead:
www.madisound.com

Dude, I make my own speakers, but seriously. Not everyone necessarily has the time to make a pair of speakers. You forgot to factor in dampening costs, which would bring the price up to at least $100, unless you don't dampen your speakers
confused_face_2.gif

Not too sure that the headphone jack will properly power a pair of "audiophile" speakers. It'll be a waste. Not to mention overkill for Skype. Anything over $50 or the size the speakers will probably be for that purpose is absurd. And inconvenient. And super glued speakers probably have minimal MAF. (WAF?)
biggrin.gif

If he (erm, his parents) is (are?) to use a pair of thrift store speakers, they'd need a receiver to power it. The sound from the headphone jack will most likely be tinny and quiet. Assuming it's onboard sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back