Absolute Best Vocal Detail?
Dec 2, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #76 of 80

Quote:
[size=medium]Oh wow… I LOVE my new AKG K702s! 
gs1000.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]Ok I admit I am new to comparing headphones, but I wanted to share my excitment!  To me, t[/size][size=medium]hey seem to do great for high vocals and the cymbals sound great!  Of course I am new to the headphone comparisons so it could partially be placebo effect or the volume might not be identical but, vocals in the 523.25 to 1046 Hz range sound really good to me (that is from tenor to soprano high C.)  The voices seem clearer somehow.[/size]

[size=medium]I was on the look out for "plasticy highs" that others have suggested that these headphones have...a[/size][size=medium]nd to those that say AKG K702 have plasticy highs, I can only say, that I don't hear that. Cymbals to me sound like they do live (though that might not be what people like to hear... not sure?)[/size]

[size=medium]Of course I just got them so, I haven’t listened to a ton of things, but I am working on it.  And of course this is only in comparison to my Denon AH-D2000s which have served me well to this point but are not thought of as being particularly good for listening to high vocals.[/size]
[size=medium]Anyway, placebo or not I am quite happy, thanks everyone!
beerchug.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]DV[/size]

[size=medium]PS Now to wait for my DT 880 600 ohms to be delivered![/size]

Congratulations vocalist,  they will sounds even better with the burn in process... 
k701smile.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #77 of 80
Hi again everyone,

I am very grateful for all the wonderful suggestions and guidance people have shared.  I am getting to appreciate some of the subtilties of some of the headphones that I know own, with different amps etc, but haven't abandoned my quest for the ulitmate vocal detail, and am still working on finding places to try other recommendations, and think a meet might be a good place to start.

One facet of the high end market that facinates me though are the orthodynamic headphones.  Several suggestions have been made about either the LCD-2s or HE-6s being the best in terms of vocal detail, and I am certainly trying to figure out how to hear both, but am pondering the possiblity of purchasing one of them as well.

I was wondering if anyone that is familiar with both of these high end orthodynamic headphones would be willing to share which they feel is better in terms of vocal detail and transparancy?  Not which they like better, for vocals but which is more like what was recorded.

Thanks in advance!
k701smile.gif

DV

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #79 of 80
You might, with such high-end headphones, find that the source and amp are more important with this IMO. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #80 of 80
When I was learning violin, my teacher would tell me to use my own ears whenever I asked how I played. Imo, learning to sing or play instruments modeled after what you hear in reproduced music, will add a new variable to regular auto-feedback learning. Playing/singing with earplugs not designed to reduce freqs evenly and recording it will give you an idea of how important auto-feedback is in music. Imo good musicians adapt their music second to second, according to what their ears are telling them.

This may just be kooky nonsense, but I think you actually have to go pretty high up in fidelity until you can hear a sufficiently life-like and accurate presentation that you can get an accurate grasp of what the musicians and singers are trying to convey with each note despite whatever coloration occurs from recording.

I'm hesitant to recommend any dac's and amp's because even after many many hours of tweaking, my best headphone and speaker setup doesn't quite match the same feeling of auto-feedback I hear in real life music. And I do indeed think tweaking is essential to understanding your audio system's colorations and to see through them to get a good grasp of the music. However, I think low cost neutral setups ~$150-400 can give you a general idea of a performance, your imagination just has to fill in all the blanks or blurred over microdetail/echo detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back