Absolute best budget earbuds?
Aug 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,726 of 2,999
Closest to basshead earbud you're likely to find is Svara L, although with the change to 32ohm I haven't convinced myself to buy it in order to see what changes if any exist, and yes I know I really should for your all's benefit. It's probably more than you were looking to spend considering the buds mentioned. Bass is decent on EB200, but if they're a true basshead it won't be enough. Musicmaker TP16 has more respectable bass, and I personally don't see anything that gives me concern about durability, but I've never had bad luck, mostly anyways. It handles a +12db push with no issue, but a real basshead will most likely push harder so can't comment unless you want me to involve some amps to see what it can handle. As always, I recommend EMX500, with no concerns either.

Also even though it's not an earbud, as it's inexpensive, KZ ATE can handle some ridiculous bass boost. If memory serves, I think I got it up to +26db and it kept up. My only concern is I'm unaware of revision history on that one off the top of my head, but might be an amusing additional toy to include.

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #1,728 of 2,999
Without EQ on a non bassy dap (Opus #1) listening to some Trip Hop, cymbals are pretty forward, vocals are certainly present but not in your face, and bass is decent, but within the typical limitations of earbuds. Honestly, it's a fun earbud that I'm a little confused why I wrote off when I picked it up. I just remembered giving it a quick listen much later because it fit someone's requests for the aesthetics they were look for on a budget bud. Actually, at times female vocals can get a bit in your face, but I personally don't find to be an issue. Just as long as they realize the limitations of earbuds in concerns to bass, I think it might be a good option. But realistically, it's more expensive than EMX500, and I'd still say that would most likely be the better choice. My second pair came with Walnut V2S, which I know has a different sound but a fairly similar background to the Z1.

If I put aside my somewhat basshead tendencies, it's actually a really solid sounding performer, and the bass will outperform many budget options, with the usual suspects being the ones to pull ahead in this respect, but with compromises of course. Music Maker does good work. I kind of wonder how it sounds on budget daps like Kogan or the like. Assuming my Kogan still works that is, it's been quite awhile.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,729 of 2,999
At the moment I'm looking for an earbud for a friend. He own a stock zishan z1. Rather a basshead, likes warm and musical sound signature according to his words and listen mostly to fast electronic music. (Jungle, techno, but also dark ambient, weird blip bloop, etc you got it) but also pop and random stuff
Currently in love with monk+ I offered, he also use a beyerdynamic dt880 and some insane 4 speakers set up with rumbling bass in his 15m2 studio lol. thinking to get him the eb200 or the diy mx500. Not vido cos he is the careless kind of type. Need something really durable.

Looking forward your recommendations :)

the blue mic version of vido is quite sturdy. between the TP16 and the EMX500, the EMX500 have lower bass reach and more slam. even with bass eq, i think the EMX500 or vido will respond better

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,730 of 2,999
Closest to basshead earbud you're likely to find is Svara L, although with the change to 32ohm I haven't convinced myself to buy it in order to see what changes if any exist, and yes I know I really should for your all's benefit.
So my Svara-L Escase 32 Ohms version just arrived and from what I can hear they definitely aren't for bassheads. They're quite the opposite.

Add 1 to the vote for EMX500 for @noknok23. An upgrade of the EMX500 would be the TY Hi-Z 150S (note the extra "S" in the name).

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,731 of 2,999
Yess :) got the emx500 for him 'with green cable), can't wait to hear his feedback over the monk+ when he receive it. BTW the TY HI 150s is really nice, only minus is voices recessed make pop not as enjoyable as it could be and upper mids needs some time to get used to imo..

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,732 of 2,999
So my Svara-L Escase 32 Ohms version just arrived and from what I can hear they definitely aren't for bassheads. They're quite the opposite.

Add 1 to the vote for EMX500 for @noknok23. An upgrade of the EMX500 would be the TY Hi-Z 150S (note the extra "S" in the name).

I'm really glad to have the 115 Ohm version of the Svara L.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,734 of 2,999
I'm really glad to have the 115 Ohm version of the Svara L.
Seconded... I'm still curious about the 32 ohm version however to see if there's a chance that @CharlesRievone received a faulty one.

Charles, do you think what you received is worth the price? If not I won't bother, but if it's decent even with the changes I might give it a listen

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,735 of 2,999
Aug 8, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #1,736 of 2,999
Hi, I'm currently interested of getting a budget earbud below $20 that is of a balanced sound signature, something that is on par or better than the Monk+ that I have. Thing is, the Monk+'s MX500 housing is slightly too big for me to wear comfortably for long periods of time, so is there any alternatives with the sound signature I prefer that is of a smaller housing?

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,737 of 2,999
Hi, I'm currently interested of getting a budget earbud below $20 that is of a balanced sound signature, something that is on par or better than the Monk+ that I have. Thing is, the Monk+'s MX500 housing is slightly too big for me to wear comfortably for long periods of time, so is there any alternatives with the sound signature I prefer that is of a smaller housing?

I haven't tried it but the niceHCK makes a yuin copy...they are incredibly comfortable...also qian 39 is very comfortable cheap bud that sounds decent for like 5 bucks. The newer TY Hi-Z AWK-314P 32ohm looks good, Ty hi-z generally make good buds, thats supposed to be comfortable though ive never tried it. My guess is all of those will be around the same but more likely beat the monk+, though that's just a guess.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,738 of 2,999
I haven't tried it but the niceHCK makes a yuin copy...they are incredibly comfortable...also qian 39 is very comfortable cheap bud that sounds decent for like 5 bucks. The newer TY Hi-Z AWK-314P 32ohm looks good, Ty hi-z generally make good buds, thats supposed to be comfortable though ive never tried it. My guess is all of those will be around the same but more likely beat the monk+, though that's just a guess.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check them out! Anyone has other recommendations as well?

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,739 of 2,999
T314p from Ty hi z is noticeably worse than monk+ imo. They are earbuds to fall asleep to. Means boomy bass, muddy mids, recessed high. Very weird to me??

Yuin shell are my favourite shells...

Mmhm if I would be you I would get the new graphene diy from nicehck. They look like excellent value for money and balanced neutral sound. They have been compared to shozy bk. Look them up. I know they are slightly above your budget but I think it's worth it considered some prefer it to a $180 model . So far nicehck has never disappointed.

All the earbuds mentioned above are more warm and fun, while still being very nice. It's not trying to be like monk+.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back